Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | Magazines

BigGayDeal.com
« TowleTech V.23 | Main | »

09/08/2006

Brad Pitt Will March Down the Aisle When the Gays Can

Brad_pitt_1Brad Pitt has made his views known about marriage rights in the United States in the latest issue of Esquire:

In an article titled "Fifteen Things I Think Everyone Should Know," he tells the magazine: "Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able."

They may be waiting for some time.

Click image for larger version...

You may have missed...
Pitt Bulge [tr]

Comments

1. Why does this place attract so many bitchy queens? Hmmmm....

Posted by: Shorty | Sep 9, 2006 1:33:46 AM

2. Oh, I don't think Brad meant polygamy and all the rest, but he was careful to not mention it or his previous marriages which I think goes to show... Now, his protest argument in theory is that no one should get married until there is gay marriage on the books. Is he calling for all people who support gay marriage to not get married in protest? That would be wonderful in theory, but they could just vote on the issue anyway. This kind of talk is cheap publicity is always a bit much.

As far as the HRC is concerned, one should be aware that award ceremonies are largely for the benefit of the award givers and not the recipients. It's absurd to give L&R an award on face value, but it is brilliant as a publicity stunt and fundraising move. You know damn well they aren't going to refuse it! I wonder where HRC gets most of their money. What do they spend it on? What have they accomplished?

When I mentioned what BP said to a friend tonight after posting here he said the exact same thing I did. It's silly.

Posted by: Anon | Sep 9, 2006 2:23:37 AM

3. This isn't the first time I witnessed this kind of cynicism on these threads. A similar reaction ocurred after Charles Barkley made his statement regarding gays and marriage.

The advancement of civil rights issues is not dependent on, but influenced by public opinion. The majority of Americans are against gay marriage (although a democracy should never pander to the majority's opinion when it is morally wrong).

But change can happen if more people begin speaking out -- people of influence.

You may be cynical (I know I am) but take some inventory of who you choose to belittle when they open their mouth. Most of the time we have politicians and religious leaders condmening us. When a celebrity -- even "just" a movie star -- makes a positive statement, please repect the gesture if nothing more.

Posted by: mark m | Sep 9, 2006 9:46:56 AM

4. Just read in the Washington Post this morning, showing that Pitt has many concerns, in addition to equal rights for marriage.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 9, 2006 9:47:53 AM

5. Oh, so Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have both been married before so there's no way they can take a principled stand now.

So, do those of you who feel this way never have epiphanies, realizations, or simple changes of heart? If so, I apologize for assuming otherwise and I sympathize. Your lives must be so sad and stagnant.

I on the other hand believe Brad and Angelina, having both been married before, are just the right people to use their celebrity-given platform to speak out on what they feel is an inequity. Bravo to both of them.

Posted by: Rey | Sep 9, 2006 10:18:37 AM

6. I love this blog! Great stuff dude!

Mike

www.spunkbox.blogspot.com

Posted by: Mike | Sep 9, 2006 11:11:51 AM

7. Revealing picture of some guy from HRC's Awards Committee interviewing Reichen.

Posted by: Jim | Sep 9, 2006 11:43:44 AM

8. JIMMYBOYO, yes I haven't seen a Brad Pitt film. I watch a few movies a year and they just have never had him in it. It's just a coincidence.

I can understand both sides hear but I'll give them the benifit.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 9, 2006 3:41:50 PM

9. Jack I'll give you slack for not seeing Pitt, but pick up a dictionary, it's here not hear.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 9, 2006 5:07:48 PM

10. Haha...something tells me the overwhelming majority of guys in the U.S. would gladly say the same thing if it got them out of getting married.

Posted by: Marc | Sep 10, 2006 5:29:20 AM

11. yeah, snooze.

Posted by: CriticlRN | Sep 10, 2006 10:24:10 AM

12. What a load of crap. Who cares what any actor, actress, director, or producer thinks on political subjects? Why are their opinions more important than the guy who changes my oil? I suspect this "principled stand" may have more to do with Ms. Jolie's long and varied background as to her relationships than anything else.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Sep 10, 2006 3:11:44 PM

13. We care becasue we like to have our thoughts and beliefs reinforced by those who we admire. I love Johnny Depp and Meryle Streep, if i see an article on them I read it, if they share a view I am pleased, if not I am disappointed. That is the same as I feel with family or friends.

Who cares?

You seem to or you would not have posted a comment.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 10, 2006 3:57:00 PM

14. Lincoln... the difference between an actor and the guy who changes your oil is that millions hear an actor when she/he speaks. Who hears your oil change guy? Very few. Blame the media if you will but people in public spotlights have more of a voice. It doesn't mean their opinions should carry more weight but to deny that they have (or should have) impact is to be naive.

Posted by: mark m | Sep 11, 2006 9:28:44 AM

15. you've gotta take it for what it is, sometimes.

it's getting the dialogue out there. For whatever motives, ulterior or otherwise, just be glad he's not saying "gays shouldn't get married" because that's the dialogue we want closed.

Posted by: Derrick | Sep 11, 2006 10:15:39 AM

16. Jeezus Christ...again with all the jaded, cynical, uptight bitchy comments!
    Once more...LIGHTEN THE FUCK UP! Can't you just get some iota of pleasure from a nice supportive comment? Please!

Posted by: Brett | Sep 11, 2006 1:01:08 PM

17. My co-worker and his wife met in college and delayed getting married for more than 20 years for the same reason. When gay marriage became legal in Massachusetts they decided that the tide was turning and finally got hitched.

Posted by: Rob | Sep 11, 2006 2:13:16 PM