Russia

Crowd Cheers Public Gay Sex in Russia

Russia_1

I may have to rethink my views on intolerance in Russia, though without a lot of details it's hard to know if the crowd assembled here was merely shocked into submission.

While a crowd watched enthusiastically and recorded the event on film, two drunk men in the streets of Ekaterinburg, Russia, danced, undressed, kissed, and finally performed oral sex on one another, MosNews reports.

"People who gathered around the couple reacted quite positively, took photographs, applauded and recorded them on video. Nobody bothered to call the police or protest."

Law enforcement seemed upset they hadn't been there to witness it: "Such actions are classified as an administrative offence and are definitely punishable. Naturally, had we received an alarm, our officers would have immediately put an end to the incident."

Perhaps Provincetown has found its sister city.

Gay Couple Has Public Sex, Crowd Applauds [mosnews]
(thanks hayden and ekaterina)

You may have missed...
Report: Four Gays Stabbed in Moscow Attack [tr]
Gay Rights Violence Erupts in Moscow [tr]

Comments

1. Intersting story. I don't know Russian, but here's a link with more revealing pictures of this infamous P.D.A.:

Posted by: GBM | Sep 6, 2006 3:45:54 PM

2. And this reported video of the event can be found where...? Durty minds want to know. ;-)

Posted by: Patrick W. | Sep 6, 2006 3:47:26 PM

3. This is something to be proud of? Two guys who are so pathetic they can't keep it in their pants until they get back to their room?

Posted by: Scott | Sep 6, 2006 4:01:58 PM

4. You don't have to hold your hand over your heart, Scott. The more amazing part of the story is that, the a crowd encicled them, no one bashed their teeth into the curb, pelted them with rocks, or even hurled nasty insults. People even clapped and apparently no onw reported it to the police. While perhaps you would have been the first to tap 9-1-1 into your cell phone, some like me find it refreshing that such a display did not warrant the fury of the nanny-police, and was treated more like a special performace by the Naked Cowboy in Times Square.

Posted by: GBM | Sep 6, 2006 4:13:47 PM

5. And, please, pardon them there typos.

Posted by: GBM | Sep 6, 2006 4:15:13 PM

6. Andy: Wait a minute, you never mentioned anything like this happening in Provincetown.

Posted by: JT | Sep 6, 2006 4:22:26 PM

7. Oh, so now it's my fault for having a bit of decency such that I don't want to have random sex shoved in my face. "Nanny-police", indeed. I simply prefer to choose when and where I would have such experiences, and not be subjected to them against my will.

The Naked Cowboy wears briefs.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 6, 2006 4:31:10 PM

8. Oh please, Scott.

Posted by: jmg | Sep 6, 2006 4:34:54 PM

9. ZOMG! Love the use of "blow job" in the news article!

Posted by: Rob | Sep 6, 2006 4:48:33 PM

10. The question is: Where is the video of this? Inquiring minds want to see the Russians giving head, and how big their packages are.

Posted by: HRH | Sep 6, 2006 4:50:08 PM

11. I am all for cheering affection between two men in the middle of the street but take the pickle smoking to the sheets.

That is why god make bedrooms and bath houses.

Posted by: Pickle | Sep 6, 2006 4:52:19 PM

12. One thinks that this being Russia the entire crowd was probably drunk.

Posted by: Anon | Sep 6, 2006 5:07:06 PM

13. If you want any hope of ever getting a decent job, it's best that you avoid getting pics of your gay sex splashed all over the internet.

Posted by: Richard | Sep 6, 2006 5:48:08 PM

14. I think the video is up on YouTube:

Posted by: Patrick | Sep 6, 2006 5:59:14 PM

15. i don't think anyone "wants" to randomly and frequently come upon public sex acts (gay or straight) i think the very interesting part is where this happened and the crowd reaction.

no need for this to be a matter of international debate or hair pulling.

Posted by: hoya86 | Sep 6, 2006 6:07:35 PM

16. This being Russia, if it were Moscow, I would have suspected its homophobic city government and police put them up to it to use as propoganda. BTW: The large sign on the building they're in front of—visible in the other pictures—translates as "Meat Store."

Posted by: Leland | Sep 6, 2006 6:13:49 PM

17. I have Leland's same concern that this might be a staged event for anti-gay propaganda. It seems mighty strange that such an odd video would suddenly appear in a region where so much vitriolic anti-gay sentiment has so recently been in the news... If it is legit, it's at least encouraging (though tacky).

Posted by: kipp | Sep 6, 2006 6:27:51 PM

18. I lived in Provincetown and saw much more in the two years living and twenty years visiting there. That was nothing compared to the twenty five years living in Manhattan. While I agree there is a time and place for everything I find it strange that people, like the FCC, bitch about sex while they do not hold the same level of outrage at the violence in this world, like the daily death count from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 6, 2006 8:13:19 PM

19. Slep mey ess !

Posted by: matty | Sep 6, 2006 9:16:34 PM

20. I'm totally going to scape this!

Posted by: Toby | Sep 7, 2006 12:35:33 AM

21. I'm going to Moscow soon - I'll bring my camera and best briefs

Posted by: tom | Sep 7, 2006 6:26:01 AM

22. Scott...in need of some twisted panties removal?

Posted by: Brett | Sep 7, 2006 8:49:05 AM

23. Ekaterinburg - 2 boys: more foto .... http://www.uralweb.ru/news/279326.html

Posted by: Алксандр | Sep 7, 2006 9:21:47 AM

24. So Scott, would you be AS offended if these two guys were fist fighting in public? While I'm not a fan of public displays of affection in general, I always find it ironic that violence is considered the lesser of two evils when it comes to sex. Explain this sensibility please.

Posted by: mark m | Sep 7, 2006 9:39:33 AM

25. SCOTT would have no problem if it was Orlando Bloom or Johnny Depp or any other straight person. The same goes for PICKLE and HOYA86.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 7, 2006 1:29:29 PM