Jake Shears | Magazines | Music | Scissor Sisters

Scissor Sisters Cutting It Up Again

Ss3_1 Ss2_1

The Scissor Sisters get a rave review for their new album Ta-Dah from the Times of London:

"In Britain we expect a certain amount of camp from our entertainers — and yet it’s hard to imagine that there might have been a British Scissor Sisters, a band who understood the straight-up disco potential in covering Pink Floyd’s Comfortably Numb for their debut single. Being out about your sexuality is one thing, but such is the lingering tribalism left by punk’s year-zero approach, that being out about the unholy triumvirate of 1970s genres — soft-rock, beard-rock and disco — is another thing entirely...If Scissor Sisters have felt any kind of pressure to extend the run of hits spawned by their first album, you wouldn’t know it by listening to this guileless, celebratory record. Might Tell You Tonight is a cry for a home where new love waits for the first time, allied to an industrially adhesive chorus."

Celebration was hardly part of the process in creating the album, however, according to a cover article by Tom Donaghy in this month's Out magazine. During the recording of Ta-Dah, Jake Shears slid into a depression which was compounded by the death of the namesake of one of their first album's hits, Shears' friend Mary.

Said Shears, who apparently met Mary on a phone chat line when he was 15 : "She looked out for me. I was somehow getting into gay bars, and she would drive an hour to wait in the parking lot until I was ready to go home. She’d struggled with obesity for a long time and didn’t understand why someone she thought was living 'a fabulous life' would want to be her friend. I wrote the song to reassure her."

"Mary" was probably my favorite song off their last album. Never knew the affirming story behind it.

Check out Out's Jake Shears cover after the jump...

Ss1_1

You may have missed...
New Scissor Sisters Single: "Don't Feel Like Dancing" [tr]
Scissor Sisters Play Coney Island [tr]
Shears Energy [tr]

Comments

1. Oh, how nice. Out has decided that the Scissor Sisters are worthy of a cover upon the release of their SECOND album.

Absolutely intrepid.

Posted by: 24play | Sep 8, 2006 12:08:27 PM

2. Jake was on the cover of Out at least once before, about a year ago.

Posted by: sam | Sep 8, 2006 12:41:50 PM

3. Hey Mr 24Play, I don't usually respond to pissy posts like yours, but Out did a Scissors cover for the first album, too.

Posted by: Aaron | Sep 8, 2006 12:42:21 PM

4. ...can not WAIT for this album!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: virgoboy | Sep 8, 2006 12:52:24 PM

5. No, kids.

When the first album was released in the U.S., Out secured an exclusive with the group, preventing several other outlets from doing coverage that month. Then they did a hellaciously bad photo shoot and dumped the profile (no feature) in the opening slot of their arts & entertainment section (the slot usually reserved for a straight C-list actor playing gay in a B-list film or TV show, or perhaps for the issue's token lesbian musician).

Out finally deemed them worthy of a cover long after every queen in America had already decided to worship (or despise) them. And frankly, given the oft-talked about dearth of out gay stars worthy of a cover, I think the Scissor Sisters should have been a no-brainer for Out--upon the release of the FIRST album, which had already done phenomenally well in Europe, spawning several hit singles. (And BTW, we would have been talking a July or August cover, when there's NOTHING else to cover. So having a better or more logical choice was no excuse.)

Cowardly. And out of touch. But then, that was under Judy and Brendan. Perhaps the new editor would have had better sense.

Posted by: 24play | Sep 8, 2006 1:05:12 PM

6. Oh, don't mind 24play. She's been surfing the crimson wave for well on a decade now.

Posted by: SheRa | Sep 8, 2006 1:37:30 PM

7. * giggle *

Posted by: Madame de Volanges | Sep 8, 2006 1:38:31 PM

8. Oh no, the voices again.

MOMMY!

Posted by: 24play | Sep 8, 2006 1:44:52 PM

9. I feel so out of the loop. I don't think i've ever heard a Scissor Sister's until this blog and definitely have never heard of Jake Shears. I'm obviously going to have to go onto itunes and download a song or two

Posted by: Matt | Sep 8, 2006 1:51:31 PM

10. --Sigh--

Posted by: Cecile de Volange | Sep 8, 2006 2:16:46 PM

11. hey Matt, don't feel bad. I had heard of them but didn't really catch on. Although I heard their new single a few weeks back and was HOOKED! Check that one out (I don't feel like dancing) and also "take your momma out" from the first record. Those are two to get you started I think.

Posted by: ric | Sep 8, 2006 3:35:14 PM

12. They put a gay person on the cover but made him look ridiculous. Still hate Out magazine.

It's amazing that woman (presumably straight) come on this site and then tell gay people what's going on with gay culture.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 8, 2006 4:22:44 PM

13. i love that big hairy man with the beard

Posted by: paulie | Sep 8, 2006 4:27:14 PM

14. I don't "get" this kind of music. I'll just stick with my vinyl copies of obscure Prelude tracks.

NEXT!

Posted by: SheRa | Sep 8, 2006 5:08:24 PM

15. That hairy dude is babydaddy, the hottest bear of them all.

Posted by: Maxwell. | Sep 27, 2006 7:15:48 PM