Gay Marriage | New Jersey | News

New Jersey Supreme Court to Rule on Same-Sex Marriage

NjThe ruling will come tomorrow at 3 pm, says a notice on the court's website.

October surprise? The decision will certainly have political repercussions for the upcoming election, particularly if the court rules in favor of same-sex marriage. Just what they will be and how severe is anyone's guess. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments.

Garden State Equality has announced that a statewide rally will take place on Wednesday night at 7:00 pm, Unitarian Church of Montclair, 67 Church Street, downtown Montclair. The rally will take place whether the court's decision is for or against.

Comments

1. First. I ain't gonna lie. I hope they rule against gay marriage, although I am a fervent supporter of same-sex marriage. I want to win at the ballot box in November, and a state Supreme Court decision in favor of gay marriage will not only ignite the religious right to come out and vote in two weeks but doom ballot initiatives involving civil unions, same-sex marriage, and domestic partnerships to an anti-gay result next month. We have no control over the decision at this point, but I wish the NJ Supreme Court to wait to announce their decision until AFTER the election. It is wild that they would dump such a charged decision right before the election.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 24, 2006 5:25:29 PM

2. Just as Democrats are about to win an election, this comes up. It'll change the whole news cycle and send evangelical voters to the polls in droves. This is why gay marriage has to be accomplished by democratic change and not judicial fiat. It'll totally screw the election for us.

Posted by: Frank | Oct 24, 2006 5:26:18 PM

3. A decision for gay marriage would play right into KARL ROVE'S desire to fire up the GOP base and get "values voters" to bombard the polls yet again. A victory in this decision will mean our doom in November.

Posted by: Derek | Oct 24, 2006 5:27:01 PM

4. This is one time where gays and progressives are hoping the court rules against gay marriage. Hopefully they will not disappoint us. The fact they are rushing this decision out bodes well for our hope they will rule against gay marriage. It will be weird to see gays celebrating a decision against gay marriage if they so rule.

Posted by: Jacob | Oct 24, 2006 5:28:43 PM

5. I don't know, I kind of hope that they do approve gay marriage in NJ. I am from there and it would be nice to get married there.

Posted by: Anita Woodward | Oct 24, 2006 5:37:16 PM

6. I'm guessing they are going to vote no.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 24, 2006 5:40:09 PM

7. "I don't know, I kind of hope that they do approve gay marriage in NJ. I am from there and it would be nice to get married there."

Would you be willing to sacrifice winning this election nationwide for one state's decision?

Posted by: Derek | Oct 24, 2006 5:42:10 PM

8. I'm speechless at the idiocy that seeps from the comments above. Don't you morons realize that ANY decision will send value voters out in droves? If they rule against, the Religious Right hops in their SUVs to throw the last nail in the coffin on election day with smug sneers on their arrogant faces. If they rule for, the Religious Right hops in their SUVs to make a statement about the sanctity of marriage, the god-hating NJ Supreme Court, and what their pastor thinks about men who like to smell pretty.

Wise up! The ONLY acceptable outcome is that the Court rules for marriage.

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 24, 2006 5:42:56 PM

9. See what choosing the WRONG battle gets you?

I am certain that there are people who do not fit the mold I am about to decry, but...

Some of the biggest, most vocal supporters of gay marriage -- guys who become practically apoplectic at the mention of the subject -- are the biggest HOE-BAGS I know, spending hours on Manhunt and at the sex clubs. These are SOME OF the people driving the gay community focus on gay marriage and it drives me batshit.

We're fucking with them in their churches, people...all well and good, but when you put the stick in the heart of the hornet's nest, you better be ready to get stung in some terribly uncomfortable places.

Flame me. I just feel the gay marriage issue was driven, in part, by people with stars in their eyes and gay ghetto-centric mentalities.

Posted by: Becks07 | Oct 24, 2006 5:45:18 PM

10. First, the courts are most certainly the appropriate forum in which to decide important issues of civil rights. The Framers crafted the three separate branches of government precisely for this purpose - to ensure that impartial (read: un-elected) judges protect the Constitutional rights of the minority to prevent tyranny of the majority. Second, in no civil rights movement is it ever appropriate to concede rights and issues for fear of repercussions. Legislatures cannot (and will not) "give" us rights that are rightfully ours -- they must be taken by their owners, without apology. As such, a victory is a victory regardless of what happens in the midterm elections. Let's hope for a victory.

Posted by: Ted | Oct 24, 2006 5:49:45 PM

11. For the first time I agree with everyone here! A decision for gay marriage at this point in the game will destroy us! A win now in NJ would galvanize the Christian right the same way Gavin Newsom spurred DOMA's!

Posted by: RB | Oct 24, 2006 5:51:41 PM

12. I see both sides. Being orig. from NJ, I want them to do the right thing and allow marriage-equality.

This is a matter of equal rights. Period.

However, tomorrow is the worst time for them to announce this. But a couple weeks ago Rhode Island residents got equal marriage via a Masschusetts ruling and nothing really was said nationally.

Is there ever a "ggod time" to deny human being equality? Should we accept be less than full fledged Americans?

Posted by: dc-20008 | Oct 24, 2006 5:59:50 PM

13. "It's these "hey, I'm sex positive!" activists with no concept at all of what marriage means to Joe and Ethel Everyday in Paducah who chose the counterproductive topic to begin with."

Way to go Becks07! I could not have said it better myself. I want my own relationship to be recognized. I want my rights and I understand what that means. Too many here have NO IDEA what it is like for someone you share your life with, in marriage, to walk away with half of EVERYTHING YOU OWN simply via divorce. We want to idealize our rights to marry the man of our dreams and that is the problem. WE must be ready for the responsiblity when we get it. THE FULL RESPONSIBILITY.

Be ready to be "to get stung in some terribly uncomfortable places" when marriage is actually an option! Many do not see that with "marriage" comes RESPONSIBILITY. Responsibility that the crowd on Manhunt are NOT ready for.

Posted by: RB | Oct 24, 2006 6:01:37 PM

14. gay marriage in NJ will not lose the election for the democrats in November. The only thing that could cost us the election is if pictures surface of Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton having an orgy with a group of female pages, which is not gonna happen.

The reason they are announcing their decision is because the Chief Justice is retiring. I think the fact that they are pushing out the decision bodes well for those who support equality...there aren't that many blue state judges that want an anti-equality decision piped onto their retirement cake.

Posted by: stolidog | Oct 24, 2006 6:16:28 PM

15. By the way, Ted, thank you, well said. Anyone who argues that voters, and not the judiciary, should decide Civil Rights issues clearly doesn't know their Constitution or American History very well.

We need to win in the courts.

For those of you who digress about the morality of those pushing gay marriage, shut up, it's completely irrelevant to the court's decision and certainly not something on which to base your support, or lack therof, for gay marriage.

Posted by: stolidog | Oct 24, 2006 6:22:16 PM

16. This issue is not the one facing us today. Musgrave is campaigning on this issue alone in Colorado and is in serious trouble and that's a Red state. This decision makes no difference to the Right this time, they are not voting on this, they are concerned with far too many other issues such as Immigration and Iraq. Mark Foley and Kuo's revelations will make most of them stay home. Aren't we due a victory? Cmon people! You all sound defeated already. That's kind of sad.

Posted by: Tony | Oct 24, 2006 6:23:48 PM

17. Yeah RB all of us Jersey folks are constantly on Manhunt and don't deserve marriage, yours is a foolish argument, sorry. I was hoping they would delay the verdict because I assume this means it will be no to marriage. The court is also the only place for this as the law is unclear as to whether gay couples in Jersey are specifically denied the right to marriage, who else should interpret the existing laws, huh? That said, living in Jersey I hope I'm wrong and we are given the right to marry tomorrow. Fuck the fundies!

Posted by: Jersey | Oct 24, 2006 6:24:59 PM

18. Becks and RB,

I have no doubt every queen on Manhunt can treat marriage with the same seriousness that straights do--and act just as responsibly toward their legal partners.

I'm sure we can slut around and get divorced just as often and as quickly.

So your point would be?

Best be putting your wagging fingers to better use, ladies. Those treasured back issue of Hero aren't going to flip through themselves.

Posted by: 24play | Oct 24, 2006 6:27:26 PM

19. It's just politically ignorant to state that a decision against us will have the same impact as a decision against us. Almost all political scientists, pundits, and pollsters agree that it was the pictures of gay couples actually marrying in 2004 and pro-gay marriage decisions right before the election that galvanize the right to come out and vote crushingly Republican that year. Almost every single poll this year has found that gay marriage has not been on people's radar scene because "out of sight, out of mind." Court rulings against gay marriage across the nation this year has made people forget about gay marriage; thus, until this decision came down, it was not gonna be much of an issue except in a few states it is on the ballot. Pollsters have noted that the rightwing's activism and voting participation is connected to the perceived threat that gay marriage is about to happen now, is a real and not theoretical threat. If the Court rules for gay marriage tomorrow, this is the OCtober surprise Karl Rove hopes for.

Posted by: Caleb | Oct 24, 2006 6:30:54 PM

20. There is always the chance that the Republican "base" is no longer the reliable knee-jerk constituency it once was, especially after this do-nothing Congress showed that Republicans in absolute power can be corrupt and deceitful (e.g., Abramoff, Foley, Ney, DeLay, Duke Cunningham, not to mention Iraq). Perhaps the NJ Supreme Court will rule for gay marriage, and we will still win at the ballot box? I tend to think that those nuts on the right who run out to vote because they want to "protect" marriage or make all abortions illegal will do so regardless of how this court decides.

Posted by: Lavi Soloway | Oct 24, 2006 6:46:43 PM

21. I don't know. The social and political context is quite different than 2004, even its only been two years. Civil Rights and equality before the law has the big mo, in my opinion, and stangely despite the "conservative" era in which we find ourselves. I'd suggest that the more the fundamentalists push their controlling social agenda the more the libertarian streak in the American political character fires up. To quote one of their leading lights - bring it on - and then be prepared to fight righteously for the fundamental American principle of "all men (and women) are created equal" and let them fight for their special rights for certain people. This election is monumental, and that's because so many people in positions of power have tossed first principles overboard. Lets get off that boat and stand for what's right!

Posted by: timothy | Oct 24, 2006 6:53:26 PM

22. just remember what happened in the 50's when the segregration cases came in... angry reactions to historic progressive court decisions will always happen.

I do not know what NJ will do, it's exciting and scary at the same time. my heart hopes they do it, but my brain says no, because of how good the democrats are doing around the country. it would be a shame to see all this fail... then again, i follow my heart...

so I'm going to say Fuck the Jesus Freaks/Evangelical Nutballs and ring that fucking bell of liberty for the gays!

Posted by: kooki | Oct 24, 2006 7:04:28 PM

23. What's right is right.

Haha, I'm nervous about tomorrows decision and I'm sure my partner is too, but for opposite reasons. I'm about to be impossible to live with.

Posted by: Jersey | Oct 24, 2006 7:11:18 PM

24. I HATE saying this, but I hope the decision is no to gay marriage.

Better: to have the decision postponed and be a YES to gay marriage AFTER November 7.

It is EXTREMELY important that at least the Congress goes to the Democrats so real change can finally happen in areas that affect all Americans.

Weirdest decision situation!

Posted by: FunMe | Oct 24, 2006 7:13:20 PM

25. I agree with FUNME.. I hope they say NO.. or we are in for a huge loss on November 7th..

Posted by: Tony | Oct 24, 2006 7:24:52 PM