Carol Channing | Music | News | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Carol Channing: Gays May Not Be a Girl's Best Friend

CarolchanningComments by 85-year-old Carol Channing sent ripples through the Hello Dolly-loving subset of the gay community over the weekend after a new interview was published that revealed she may not be as gay-friendly as she is perceived.

In an interview (which she did not at first realize was with a gay publication) with the Gay People's Chronicle, the elderly Broadway chanteuse spoke candidly about her relationship with her gay fanbase:

"I don’t think about them. I’m grateful that they seem to like me. They’re terribly loyal to me. But I’m knee-deep in the Bible and you know what it says about that."

After she realized she was talking to a gay publication, she was asked what she thought about the battle for gay rights.

Said Channing: "I don’t think about it. If they can’t take care of their own problems, why should I bother. It’s not my problem."

You Know What the Bible Says [gay people's chronicle]

Comments

1. Of course she's knee deep in the Bible. She's 85 and she's trying to book a first class ticket to Heaven.

Why exactly are we supposed to give a damn what this old fossil thinks about gays??

Posted by: mark m | Nov 13, 2006 9:58:21 AM

2. It's funny how those knee deep in the bible can also be knee deep in pig shit. Perhaps ol' Carol could ring up Ted Haggard and have a little chat about that.

Posted by: LiamOg | Nov 13, 2006 9:59:50 AM

3. So let's stop reviving her crusty career for her and see how she likes being knee-deep in the land of the forgotten. What an ungrateful, opportunistic bitch.

Posted by: not surprised | Nov 13, 2006 10:02:23 AM

4. Not to defend Carol Channing—or those who like her for whatever reason—but keep in mind she WAS married for umpteen years to a queen who barely consummated their marriage, divorced her when he was like 90 to be with a boyfriend, and promptly died. So...yeah. She's got a little history.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 13, 2006 10:02:57 AM

5. Gosh, Carol. Kind of a stupid move. When the only people who keep your career afloat are the gays, you should probably take great care to maintain an amicable relationship. We've certainly provided you with a lavish lifestyle for the past 700 years... you pretty much owe it to us.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 13, 2006 10:07:27 AM

6. Used to like her.... sad.

Maybe she can get the fundies to pay to see her now.... good luck, CC.

Posted by: Jonathon | Nov 13, 2006 10:09:32 AM

7. Those comments were sadly ungracious of her...but she IS 85, after all. I'm tempted to cut her a little slack or at least just ignore her and remember her for her performances, not her ill-advised comments.

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 13, 2006 10:11:11 AM

8. One word in her defense: 85.

Posted by: Bernie | Nov 13, 2006 10:15:21 AM

9. She is 85.
    When my grandfather hit that age he actually seemed to forget he proudly used to display a huge Playboy collection on the living room shelf back in the 1970's. By the time he hit 85 in the 1990's he was knee deep in the bible ... also working hard to get into heaven. She is old. We should not maintain her career. For whatever the reason this lady married a gay man who would not have sex with her and she was fine with that ... she may have her OWN issues. But I AINT EVER SEEING HER. She DID support "the gays" in her younger days ... and she did admit she was a bit of a slut ... she mentions having 7 guys going at her in Vegas in her youth. ;)

Posted by: RJP3 | Nov 13, 2006 10:16:00 AM

10. Mehh...the old bag should be knee-deep in her grave soon, I don't have time to worry about wrinkled up prunes from 50 years ago

Posted by: Sean | Nov 13, 2006 10:18:32 AM

11. Off topic, but is it just me or doesn't the pic in the advertisement for Dylan Rosser photography look like Timothy McVeigh, the OKC bomber? What's sexy about that?

Posted by: Wayne | Nov 13, 2006 10:27:30 AM

12. She'd still sell out a gay cruise in seconds. We're an unabashedly forgiving lot.

Until gays put their money where their mouths are (can we start boycotting companies that bow to the AFA?) we'll never show our economic power.

Posted by: duh | Nov 13, 2006 10:29:54 AM

13. I thought she was a character in a soap opera?

Posted by: Steve | Nov 13, 2006 10:37:23 AM

14. Spoken like a true 85 year old who has one leg in the grave. Can't hold anything against her at this late stage of senility.

Have a smooth journey, Carol!

Posted by: Brook | Nov 13, 2006 10:56:31 AM

15. "I don't think about them." Fair enough, I don't think about you either Ms. Channing.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 13, 2006 11:01:46 AM

16. I wonder what the Bible says about women who wear makeup and perform on the stage?

Posted by: tommy | Nov 13, 2006 11:11:20 AM

17. "I don’t think about it. If they can’t take care of their own problems, why should I bother. It’s not my problem."

Same could be said about octogenarians and the baby boomers cruising toward retirement.

If we don't care for each other without requiring some sort of personal benefit, then our society is truly lost.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 13, 2006 11:24:29 AM

18. Hey, I'm bringing sexy back.

Posted by: Timothy McVeigh | Nov 13, 2006 11:35:42 AM

19. All of you queens who think just because she is 85 she is excused from this type language and attitude are the ones that sit by and do nothing to help protect and enhance our LGBT rights. Her words are as damaging as someone who is 25. Age has nothing to do with this! WAKE UP! DO NOT SUPPORT THIS OLD IGGNORANT HAG anymore. Take away our loyality and support to her and she would be hopefully living in shelter somewhere.

Posted by: William | Nov 13, 2006 11:47:12 AM

20. Funny how she seemed to care about the gays a year or so ago when she was in West Hollywood's gay bookstore to do a book signing. I never understood why gay men seem to worship Broadway divas anyway. Bette Midler pulled something very similar a few years ago herself. Looking forward, I say we throw our support behind out gay performers like Rupurt Evert, Neil Patrick Harris, T. R. Knight, Ellen, et. al.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Nov 13, 2006 11:50:49 AM

21. P. S.

My grandmother is 87 and has shown me and mine nothing but love and total acceptance.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Nov 13, 2006 11:53:05 AM

22. Always felt bad that she lost out on the movie of Hello Dolly. Now I'm glad Barbra Streisand played the part. Fuck the old bitch!

Posted by: tramp | Nov 13, 2006 11:53:52 AM

23. Um, how could she not know Gay People's Chronicle was a gay publication? Did she think the "Gay" part meant they were "happy" and "care-free"? Maybe she can tell us what "23 Skidoo" means...

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 13, 2006 12:19:26 PM

24. Carol... bitch please. Now hush.

Posted by: CaliNexus | Nov 13, 2006 12:19:56 PM

25. Given this quote:

If she's knee-deep in the bible, she must be standing on the parts that talk about compassion.

Posted by: Kyle Childress | Nov 13, 2006 12:29:56 PM