Former McGreevey Aide Golan Cipel Gives First TV Interview

Golan Cipel, the former aide to former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey gave his first television interview today to Jim Rosenfield of WCBS in New York.

Cipel2In the interview Cipel leads Rosenfield up the staircase of the two-bedroom condo in Woodbridge, NJ where he claims McGreevey began allegedly “sexually harassing” him, then pauses and tears up:

Cipel: “I feel like this is the spot where my life ended, the way I planned it to be, the way I believed it to be and it’s never going to be the same. (sigh) When you plan a life, everybody has dreams. You think you know, most people are good and you don’t think bad things can happen to you. And to think of so many months and years I think about this moment and I think how do you let it happen? How did this guy manage to fool you and fool everybody else?”

Cipel1Cipel claims McGreevey cornered him in the bedroom of the condo against his will: “And I just remember holding back here and saying what’s going on. Again he pushed me on the chest back into the bedroom. I was in shock and I fell. And there was just this crazy look in his eyes. Didn’t care. Tried to struggle with me. Tried to kiss me. I just remember holding my head and saying, ‘No. Stop.’ Fighting with him. And I moved to the other side of the bed here. And he was there where you stand. And I wanted to get out. But he’s close to the door. I just remember wanting to ask him so many questions, but wanting to leave as fast as possible. And he said don’t ever repeat this to anybody. Then I asked him, ‘Why did you think I was gay?’ And he said, ‘Everybody’s a little bit gay.'”

Cipel says he has no proof of what occurred in the bedroom, claims that he and McGreevey never actually had sex, and says he decided to file a sexual harassment suit against the Governor but changed his mind after the Governor resigned. McGreevey claims that Cipel demanded $50 million for his silence, but the demands went away when it was apparent Cipel had no proof.

Honestly, I have to say I don’t believe either one of them.

You may have missed…
McGreevey/Cipel Affair Turns into “He Said, He Said” [tr]
James McGreevey’s Confession a Steamy Read [tr]

Comments

1. Jonathon says

Sorry, but I just don’t believe Cipel. I doubt very much that a real “straight” guy would have been intimidated by a not-so-butch gay guy coming on to them. Sure, he was a governor, but so what? If Cipel didn’t want the attention McGreevy was giving him he could have stopped it by just saying “no”.

I do wonder, however, why Cipel maintains this position about McGreevy. Who is he trying to fool?

2. rudy says

I never had anything but contempt for McCreepy (see archives for abuse I took because of my opinions) but Cipel benefitted from his leading on the former ethically challenged governor. Cipel got a job for which he was in no way qualified. His response to an alleged unprovoked sexual assault was to think of many questions to ask the putative aggressor? Give me a friggin’ break. What a pathetic duo. I would have beaten down both of them. Thank the gay gods that Cipel does not claim to be one of us. What a self-loathing loser.

3. Cory says

4. Ben says

What was the purpose of this man giving an interview? I mean, if he want this scandal to go away, why wouldn’t he simply fade into the background?

Something tells me he’s looking to profit off this. Either an upcoming book or a smear tour related to McGreevy trying to re-shape himself into a gay power politician (God help the gay community if that happens).

5. Bryce says

He demanded $50 million dollars for his silence? What a greedy little sexually harrassed victim! If he had been more reasonable, he could have gotten $50,000 and a really good blow job.

6. says

I don’t know much about McGreevey and don’t care to know anything else. However, I can say without a shred of doubt in my mind that the Cipel guy is full of a big, steamy pile of BS.

There’s *no way* McGreevey could have overpowered him. Cipel either is trying to get back in the closet (and is doing it in a really stupid way) or wants something out of this (money, books, 15 minutes of fame?), because there’s no way he was overpowered.

7. Larry says

“They’re both lying, low-life opportunists. They both make me sick… If anything, this is a lovers quarrel gone reallllly bad. They both tried to fuck each other (and literally I’m sure) and made fools of themselves. Wish they never came out…”

What a TERRIBLE thing to say about REICHEN and LANCE!!!

8. ricardo says

***Honestly, I have to say I don’t believe either one of them.***

nor ANY of it….in relation to far too much drama reaching for high-drama in a highly saturated and redundant showcasing or shadow- boxing of less informative or positive aspects. just read a great story on adoption!

9. Anon says

The FBI could not corroborate JMcG’s “blackmail” charge against Cipel, but he doesn’t seem to credible either. Wasn’t Cipel in Israeli special forces?

10. says

McGreevey is skeevy, but in this he said/he said, McGreevey’s is the story that makes sense—you sleazily get your boyf a job (not to mention one vital to security), he leverages his power over you, you either pay him off or you get rid of the power. McGreevey knew he was in too deep and wisely opted for the latter. Doesn’t make McGreevey any more likeable, in my opinion. But Cipel is the thwarted opportunist here.

11. Nathan says

What a freak. I’ve met three men in my life from the Israeli Special Forces, and have no doubt all three are closeted gays.

So a trained “killing machine” (similar to our Navy SEALS) can’t squirm away from a pencil-necked geek? No wonder he’s crying on TV…

12. FECES says

How can I possibly be the first person in this thread to acknowledge how damn friggin hot Cipel is? He is quite tasty & I’d certainly love to harass him sometime. MMMMMMM Stick it In.

13. Al says

Cipel is so full of it!! McGreevey get’s no credit from me for his actions, but this guy should have just shut up and faded back into the woodwork, because his story is so obviously bogus. To hear the talk after the scandal broke, everyone except McGreevey’s wife knew the two were having an affair.

14. FunMe says

If he didn’t appear so in denial, and possibly self-loathing, I would say, hey wanna date?!

He’s kinda cute still.

Maybe if I can convince him to go back to Israel he will open his eyes and see it’s OK. Gay marriages are allowed there now. There is NOTHING wrong being gay.

But whatever, he will live unhappy and undenial for the rest of his life.

Sad and tragic … for him.