AIDS/HIV | Health | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

World AIDS Day Debut: The Look/Listen/Love/Respect Campaign

World AIDS Day is tomorrow, and four actresses have recorded PSAs urging gay men to look out for themselves and those in their community. Crystal meth and unsafe sex are the focus of the new campaign debuting tonight on LOGO (during Noah's Arc) and tomorrow on Here! networks, featuring messages from Susan Sarandon, Amanda Peet, Whoopi Goldberg, and Rosie Perez.

Said Dan Carlson, founder of HIV Forum NYC, who together with the Callen-Lorde Community Health Center in NYC produced the PSAs: "Despite knowing that condoms prevent HIV transmission, many gay men continue to engage in risky and self-destructive behavior. As we mark World AIDS Day and the 25th anniversary of the discovery of HIV, we wanted to reframe the conversation among gay men about condom use and redefine what that simple act means."

Comments

1. Everyone needs to show responsibility in their sexual behavior, not just gay men. The actresses would be better advised to send their advice to all the heterosexuals who engage in unprotected anal sex.

Posted by: jo | Nov 30, 2006 3:30:11 PM

2. Amanda Peet, the new Jennifer Connelly.

Honest to God, I don't understand why Americans have lost sight of what makes a good actress.

Posted by: David H | Nov 30, 2006 3:43:28 PM

3. I'm very confused by this. Why would they have four straight women (presumably) tell me to practice safe sex? Were there no gay men available... you know, people I may actually identify with?

Posted by: chrisb | Nov 30, 2006 3:44:49 PM

4. I really liked these ads. Despite not knowing Amanda Peet, the other three actresses I dearly respect and admire.

AND

I love the message to talk about these things with our partners, love ourselves and respect our partners.

It may sound a tad bit schmaltzy, but dammit, the Christian right isn't doing it for us, now are they?

You go girls!!

Travis

Posted by: Travis | Nov 30, 2006 3:49:24 PM

5. What complete randomness..How did they pick those 4 actresses? Id much rather see Margaret Cho or Kathy Griffin or any other self appointed friend of the gays.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 30, 2006 3:58:49 PM

6. Er... don't know what to think about these ads. Their true enough yet still. I'm 20 yrs old, African American, and homosexual so there you go. I'm in the age bracket, ethnic group and sexual group most likely to contract HIV and they couldn't theres nothing in these ads to reflect that.

I know I'm looking for something seemingly more PC but its just a thought.

Posted by: Damon | Nov 30, 2006 4:11:57 PM

7. WHERE ARE THE GAY MEN OR STRAIGHT ACTORS TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT AIDS DAY?
    WHAT MESSAGE DOES THAT SEND????

Posted by: alan brickman | Nov 30, 2006 4:29:17 PM

8. I think you're all a bunch of whining bitches. Why not just hear the message?! Gay men are killing themselves and each other - and refusing to accept responsibility. Wake up.

Posted by: Pierre | Nov 30, 2006 4:54:39 PM

9. Why is everyone trying to help the part of the gay community that is fucking stupid? If the idiots want to do meth and have every Joe and Bob fuck them up the ass with on condom, then it's their own fault. They obviously don't give a shit about what they're doing so why should we? All the whores deserve what they get and if they get HIV well it's their own damn fault. It's the year 2006 and people should be well educated on how to protect themselves. I don't sympathy for them.
    I love Rosie Perez though. :P

Posted by: SyTe | Nov 30, 2006 5:11:54 PM

10. It is clear that many gay men of all ages are getting infected, regardless of who is sending the message. While these women may not be the ideal choice, neither is getting HIV 25 years after it started to destroy the people it hits. Listen to the message they are sending, and stop bitching about who is delivering it.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 30, 2006 5:16:33 PM

11. I'm not sure how effective these ads will be but I think the messages are good.

Anyone who thinks drug use and barebacking in the gay community isn't contributing to the spread of HIV has their head in the sand.

25 years into the epidemic and gay men are still acting stupid and careless with their health. I can remember when the barebacking "phenomenon" started to be talked about in the mid to late 90s. I attended a discussion group about barebacking among gay men. One man who openly admitted to barebacking said "It's my body, you can't tell me what to do with my body." Yet all these barebackers who preach radical individualism as their excuse to bareback suddenly turn to society's safety net when they get sick and can't afford meds. Interesting...

Posted by: LightningLad | Nov 30, 2006 5:26:36 PM

12. 11 comments so far.....8 are whining, bitchy, stupid a-holes, who would rather open their traps to complain than listen to the message. Gays are doing very dangerous and stupid things again......does it matter who is asking you to look at your lifestyle in order to save your life?
    Yes....str8's need this message as well.
    Yes Africam-American men are a high risk group.
    Yes, Gay actors or Actresses could have been the deliverer's of the message.

But some of you are so hung up on being PC and Gaycentric that your missing the point.

Kudo's to the 3 people before me who SAW and Heard THE message!!!!!!

Posted by: joshua | Nov 30, 2006 5:34:42 PM

13. Sorry Lightninglad....your message appeared while I was typing mine. Good points made.

Posted by: joshua | Nov 30, 2006 5:38:36 PM

14. Go Patrick & Joshua. I was stunned as I read bitch after bitch. I guess some gay men can synchronize their cycles, too.

If someone is more concerned about whom they hear the message from rather than the message itself, they're lost already.

But, really, someone should inform the directors of Care Resource in Miami, who sponsor the White Party, that unsafe sex and Meth abuse still exists. After they finally pulled their heads out of their asses last year and marketed some Dump Tina messages with advertising for the week-long event, this year they were back to pretending there's no connection. Research shows that people who attend circuit parties are more likely to already have or to contract HIV than the gay male population at large, and Tina and other judgment-altering drugs increase that. In other words, Care Resource were once again essentially spreading AIDS at the same time they were raising money to fight it. No wonder the South Florida HIV/AIDS statistics are so HIGHHHHHHHH.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 30, 2006 6:18:47 PM

15. Joshua, I think it's fairly clear who the bitchiest asshole on this thread is.

You don't understand the complaints at all. Those of us that complained agree with the message. We agree that education like this needs to be done in our community. However, the point we're making is that the message could have far greater impact if it was delivered by spokespersons that gay men actually identify with. Neil Patrick Harris made a huge splash with gay audiences when he came out a few weeks ago. Ask him to do it. The cast of Noah's Arc would be perfect for this since they already appeal to an audience at highest risk for HIV.

Selecting four random women to deliver the message feels a lot like Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign. Frankly, when an old woman tells me not to do something, it just makes me want it to do it more.

Posted by: chrisb | Nov 30, 2006 6:42:35 PM

16. Y'all make it sound so simple. As if all of these people you'd rather see—fill in the blank—are just sitting by their phones waiting for such groups to call them and ask them to do these things. Most celebrities are so swamped with requests for their charity time that most end of doing nothing or very little rather than choose [not excuse, IMO, but that's the way it is]. Harris would have appealed to some, but I'd bet these PSAs were in the can before he even came out. And we know that anyone calling his manager would have been blocked with "he's not of that persuasion" or whatever. How many of the actors on "Noah's Arc" are out? How many have even ever seen the show or even heard of it? Except for the 24-7 coverage of every belch and fart emanating from Reichen & Lance [you know, that unambiguously narcissistic couple] who haven't used one second of their combined media domination that I'm aware of to address AIDS, and George Michael busy tried to catch it and a bad case of poison ivy, and Boy George pushing a broom when he's not pushing a broom, we're pretty much left with Lady Elton and her scented candles.

And no one would get a bigger hoot out of being compared to Nancy Reagan than Whoopi Goldberg.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 30, 2006 6:57:23 PM

17. and George Michael busy trying to catch it and a bad case of poison ivy, and Boy George pushing a broom when he's not buying dope, we're pretty much left with Lady Elton and her scented candles.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 30, 2006 7:00:34 PM

18. Isn't meth a factor is some 50% of new HIV infections? More focus should go towards meth prevention and treatment.

Posted by: busytimmy | Nov 30, 2006 7:05:11 PM

19. "The study, which looked at 3,000 San Franciscans who received anonymous HIV tests in 2000 and 2001, claimed crystal meth users are likely to drop their inhibitions and engage in activities such as unprotected sex with multiple partners.

Of the 300 people in the study who admitted using crystal meth, 6 percent had recently been infected with HIV. For those who said they used crystal meth during sexual encounters, the infection rate was close to 8 percent.

For those who said they had not used the drug, the HIV infection rate was 2 percent."

Posted by: busytimmy | Nov 30, 2006 7:10:23 PM

20. Since you mentioned Reichen...

The mere fact that he commands such devotion of so many superficial, primarily young gays for doing absolutely nothing just proves my point. Even he would have been better than Susan Fucking Sarandon. If a gay man is watching TV and sees Reichen with his shirt off, he may actually stop and listen to the message. But most gay men are gonna flip the channel when they see those four fish. Sad, but true.

Oh, and here's a suggestion: Jake Gyllenhaal. Had they gotten him to deliver this message, the meth problem could come to a standstill tomorrow.

Posted by: chrisb | Nov 30, 2006 7:12:10 PM

21. ChrisB: your use of the term "fish" cancels your right to have any discussion with adults. Kill yourself or grow up. The choice is yours.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 30, 2006 7:43:36 PM

22. Leland: The use of the term "fish" was indicative of how many circuit twinks describe women... the same circuit twinks who actually believe Reichen is a positive spokesperson for our community. It was intentional and part of the argument. No, it's not a term I use personally.

Learn to read a bit more carefully.

Posted by: chrisb | Nov 30, 2006 8:02:29 PM

23. There was NOTHING in what you wrote that would lead anyone, however carefully they read, that you were parodying circuit twink sexism. Learn to write a bit more carefully.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 30, 2006 8:11:18 PM

24. What about black straight women? I thought they're at an extremely high risk? Or am I way off? I mean, why do people go on and on about gay men not having safe sex? What about women who have a habit of unprotected sex with men? Why aren't they getting lectured?

Posted by: _____ | Nov 30, 2006 8:11:50 PM

25. Are you retarded? My comment clearly states "If a gay man is watching TV..." I think that clause is a fairly strong indication that the rest of the paragraph is going to be from the perception of the gay man watching TV.

Go back to beating up Reichen. We're on the same side, asshole.

Posted by: chrisb | Nov 30, 2006 8:26:15 PM