Jennifer Holliday: “I’m Not Going”

Jennifer Holliday, who originated the Dreamgirls role of Effie on Broadway, wants to make sure that despite the raves for that other Jennifer H., she isn’t put out to pasture just yet.

JholShe appeared on Wendy Williams’ radio show recently and went on and on about the injustices she’s experiencing this holiday season, which include being left off the invite list for the Dreamgirls premiere:

“Actually I was sort of invited to the premiere tonight and then I got called and said that it was a misunderstanding and that I wasn’t invited to the premiere, but that it was an actual screening that I was invited to but they didn’t have a date for that screening.”

She went on:

“I’m also still a young woman still out here trying to work so if you’re trying to cancel out my existence and my contribution to Dreamgirls…so then if you’re trying to do that then what is to become of me, are you trying to say that two people can’t be out here singing the same song? It’s like, I’m not a millionaire and I don’t have any kind of precious possessions, no children, this legacy, “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” is the only thing I do have and I do need to work so it’s alright if they have a movie so can’t they just have me be wonderful too? Can’t both of us just be wonderful? My thing is, please don’t try to kick me to the curb.”

JhudAnd on:

“One guy who’s working on the music with the movie… he was saying, well, Jennifer Hudson has an absolutely wonderful gift and I think the torch has been effectively passed… I’m not passin no torch, ‘scuse me, are you all trying to force me into retirement? Because..I still need to work so if we both sing…can she sing it..and I sing it..can we both sing it?”

And on:

“Give a Dreamgirl a break, I did give the girl the opportunity to do this… I created the role, no one gave me the role, I created the role.”

And on:

“This story of Dreamgirls, we also want people to understand, is not the same as the play, what they’ve done is taken the brand of Dreamgirls and our fans and done a bait-and-switch.”

And on:

“Fortunately for me, I owe most of my survival, towards going into this new millenium, to the gay community. They have kept me, they have supported me, they have given me work, they have given me great respect. They also are really the ones who kept this whole thing going until it could be rediscovered.”

Wait till Holliday hears that Hudson will be performing to a huge gay crowd in NYC on December 30th.

You may have missed…
Dreamgirls: A Review — In a Dazzling Adaptation, Jennifer Hudson Rockets to Fame

(source, thanks Seth)

Comments

1. gay is the new straight says

Give a dreamgirl a break, lol. I still watch her performance on you tube, it’s da bomb.

2. 000000 says

I just love the smarmy context this is put in. She goes “on and on.” Yeah, like some people go on and on about Gyllenhaal and Reichen’s every bowel movement. Her voice was good enough for the trailer, but she can’t go to the premiere? Bullshit.

3. Mike says

There’s room in our hearts for more than one Diva. The Jennifers has nothing to worry about with the gays. If you were going to compare the two based on “I Am Telling You” then Ms. Holliday would clean the floor with Ms. Hudson. But they are both so much bigger than this one song.

4. mark m says

“I’m not passin no torch, ‘scuse me, are you all trying to force me into retirement?”

Laughed. My. Ass. Off.

Musicals aren’t my thing, but even I can see it’s a travesty to deny a legend like Holliday a simple pass to the premiere.. that’s pretty low.

5. says

Interesting editorial use of Holliday’s image, Andy…I’m left wondering if there’s a less-flattering one you could have found!

‘Though she could have used a publicist to smooth over the jealous overtones, I do value Holliday’s opinion. You’d think being a gay icon all these years, she’d be a bit more aware of how youth-obsessed the gays are; it was just a matter of time before a younger, prettier Effie came around and sold it to the gays.

6. ggreen says

Ms Holiday, Miss Hudson isn’t qualified to wash out your undies.

You’re the best woman we’ll ever know.
    There’s no way we can ever go,
    No, no, no, no way,
    No, no, no, no way we’re livin’ without you.
    We’re not livin’ without you.
    We don’t want to be free.

We’re part of the same place.
    We’re part of the same time.
    We both share the same blood.
    We both have the same mind.
    And time and time we have so much to share,

7. whatever says

Well I saw Jennifer Holliday in the original Broadway production, and I just saw the movie last week at a Parmount screening, and Jennifer Hudson does a great job with the part that Ms. Holliday created. But where has Ms. Holliday been for the last 25 yers? Her career didn’t take off after winning the Tony. And that is not Ms. Hudosn’ fault, it is Ms. Holliday’s. Lots of sour grapes going on now!

8. 000000 says

“You’d think being a gay icon all these years, she’d be a bit more aware of how youth-obsessed the gays are; it was just a matter of time before a younger, prettier Effie came around and sold it to the gays.”

Well, Holliday never suggested that she play Effie in the film. It’s obviously a part for a younger woman. But to not even get a proper invite to the premiere? On stage or screen, the production owes it’s following to her. Gays aren’t the ones denying her connection to the show, either. She told Wendy Williams about how the gay community has kept her afloat for years, ad nauseum.

9. Astro says

I’m glad to see that I’m not to detect some unnecessary snarkiness from Andy.

I’m guessing Andy’s not a fan.

10. Astro says

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one to detect some unnecessary snarkiness from Andy.

I’m guessing Andy’s not a fan.

11. 000000 says

“But where has Ms. Holliday been for the last 25 yers? Her career didn’t take off after winning the Tony. And that is not Ms. Hudosn’ fault, it is Ms. Holliday’s.”

Yeah, Jennifer sure squandered all the opportunities the affirmative action of show business was throwing at Black women in the 80s. Why didn’t she just take control like Janet Jackson and keep her mouth shut?

12. Wayne says

Bitter much? It sounds like she’s living in the past and blaming everyone around her for not having a hot career. Yes, she was amazing in the original, but that was 25 years ago and most people don’t even know who she is today. As for the attitude, it’s not hard to understand why she wasn’t invited. Karma baby… it’ll get you every time!

13. Mark says

Its Apples and Oranges (albeit BIG apples and oranges, like the size you get at Christmas time)

25 years have passed since I saw J-Haul sing and the spine stills tingles.

The version by J-Hud didn’t do the same, but it was still very good.

But what the heck, there’s room in fruit bowl for both!

14. noah says

000000,

Thank you! Why take aim Ms. Holliday? What did she that was so reprehensible? What did she demand? She just wanted to be treated with respect. Other Hollywood remakes have invited stars of the original films or plays on which they are based to premieres.

As 000000 pointed out, the 1980s and 1990s were not great times to be an actress of color except for a very small number. Eighty-percent of all Hollywood films feature all-white casts according to a new study. That doesn’t leave much room for people of color in the remainder of films.

As Ms. Holliday said, she is a young woman still and someone who embraces the gay community. Give her the same respect she gives you.

15. jealous bitch says

When an actor “creates” a role on stage, it only means they were the first to play the part. Ms. Holliday did not write the musical Dreamgirls, she only acted in it. She didn’t create the charecter in the play, the writers did. And having seen the movie and the Broadway production, she is totally full of shit about the story. It is exactly the same story, except they added one new song for Beyonce to sing. Ms. Holliday is being really stupid in this interview.

16. Richard Crawford says

A couple of names come to mind:
    Julie Andrews, Ethel Merman (twice), Chita Rivera, Gwen Verdon, Carol Channing, Mary Martin, Algela Lansbery
    All were replaced by other actresses in the movie versions of the Broadway Show in which they “created” the character.
    Recpectively My fair Lady went to Audry Hepburn/Marnie Nixon, Annie Get Your Gun went to Doris Day and Gypsy went to Rosalind Russell, Chicago went to Ketherine Zeta Jones, Sweet Charity went to Shirley McClaine, The Sound of Music went to Julie Andrews, and Mame also went to rosalind Russell and Lucille Ball (UGH).
    The difference between all these ladies and Jennifer Holiday is talent.
    Jennifer Holiday is a one hit wonder. And the sooner she realizes that the happier she will be with her place in history.

17. 000000 says

Funny, the original cast of A Chorus Line went so far as to consider getting royalties for the recent revival. Jennifer Holliday isn’t even suggesting such a thing, and her real intentions are bastardized by people who take a kernel of the truth and bitch for bitching’s sake.

18. jjabely says

Jennifer Holliday is the more soulful singer. Period.

Really shitty of Geffen to bar her from the screening. What a little twat he’s becoming.

As for the movie, which I saw, it’s “okay.” Feels claustrophobic at times, like the director can’t let go of that big proscenium arch that hangs like an albatross around his neck (similar to “Chicago,” in that sense). “Cinematic,” in this movie, means absurdly fast cuts – and without any design to them. Why, oh, why can’t movie directors these days make musicals that don’t feel so stage-bound? It all felt so cold and calculated – the opposite of the stage production, btw.

19. bamabamabam says

Holliday isn’t railing at Hudson, but at the business, obviously…

Jennifer Holliday did do some very funny acting and singing on “Ally MacBeal” some years back, but needs a better agent. Especially with the lack of roles for black women in Hollywood.

In any case, don’t mean to overpost from another publication but here’s what Hudson said about Jennifer Holliday in HX, and clearly, she’s not trying to kick J.Hol to the curb at all. Quite the contrary.

Jennifer Holliday left some big heels to fill. Were you nervous stepping into the role of Effie?
    – Of course! I mean, c’mon, it’s Jennifer Holliday! She’s so amazing – her voice is like thunder. I’m just honored to be the one who gets to do it. It’s like, well, what does that say about me? I wouldn’t be here if I couldn’t do the part.

Did you know Dreamgirls before you auditioned?
    – Not the complete soundtrack, just Jennifer Holliday’s music from her albums. The only songs I knew from Dreamgirls were “And I Am Telling You” and “I’m Changing,” but I thought those were just her songs.

Have you met Miss Holliday yet?
    – No, but I can’t wait. When I do, I’m going to pass out. I will, honey. Pick me up off the floor.

She became a huge gay icon playing Effie. Are you ready for that status?
    – Well, I’ve been prepping for it for a long time with Idol and even before. I love it. I think the world of the gay community, and I feel like it’s an honor. The gay community is the hardest community to please, so if they love me, I must be fierce, honey.

20. Rascal says

Broadway stardom is for whatever reason a very tricky thing to migrate to other channels in showbiz. There are numerous examples of performers whose Brodway success–no matter how meteoric–just didn’t translate into highly successful recording, TV or film careers. There even seem to be more particular examples of women who had a huge breakout show song–Yvonne Elliman and Stephanie Mills come to mind–who, after maybe a dance chart hit or two, just disappeared. I feel for Holliday, it’s terribly hard to experience such success and attention so early in one’s career and to never quite reach that zenith again, but she really ought to say a prayer, count her blessings, and let it go. Personally, I think her incredible weight loss–and having kept it off for so long–is a helluva triumph. There are a lot more people in this world who would rather emulate that success of hers than any others.

21. Leland says

Fuck you, Jealous Bitch! What have you done to call Holiday stupid? Show some respect—and less stupidity yourself. However great the original material can be, it can be forgotten or immortalized by the performer who brings it to life. Would Brokeback have been as memorable with someone playing Ennis other than Ledger? Vin Diesel maybe? People raved about the short story, but even the author said Ledger’s Ennis was better than hers.

The explanation of which careers take off and which ones don’t is often inexplicable. [Vin Deisel again. BUT, one major factor is that the kind of music Holiday is best at has sold very little in that period of time thanks to the rise, like shit in a backed up toilet, of rap/hip hop or dance music you have to be on crystal to enjoy. Mariah “Please Enlarge My Breasts Yet Again” Carey has had a career but she’s not a belter like Holiday. Whitney is, but she’s spent more time in her mansion doing crack than in the recording studio.

Stardom and record sales are no indication of talent. Britney should be working at the local Dairy Queen, not a millionairess [did ya hear the one about Tom Jones throwing underwear AT HER?]. Jessica Simpson? Shoot her, her horse mouth, and her creepy, religious nut, incest-dreaming dad.

Holiday earned the right to expect a little respect, which she clearly wasn’t getting.

22. Daniel says

Holiday has been working–doing concerts, TV (Ally McBeal) etc. She’s amazing live. At a benefit concert in LA she did “Wind Beneath My Wings”, a song I absolutely hate and wish had never been written (sorry Miss M), yet she made me love it. I love Hudson as well, she’s a great young talent, it’s too bad this had to happen.

23. Marco says

I hate musicals so I have never seen Dreamgirls. Nor will I attend the film. But, even my musical hating gay ass associates Jennifer Holiday with Dreamgirls. She need not worry about her legacy – even if it involves this one thing.

24. says

I’d venture to guess the obvious: there is a lot of bad blood between the creators of “Dreamgirls” and Holliday. We don’t know what has transpired, and it’s not like anyone is going to sit down and dish all of the dirt anytime soon. But it would be foolish to oversimplify matters and say “Oh, David Geffen is a jerk” or “Holliday is a diva.”

25. Feces says

Look, the real issue here is that while Ms. Holliday raises many many legitimate points, the fact remains that the real reason why she wasn’t formally invited to the premiere & likely why she wasn’t asked to do a cameo in the film (like fellow original Dreamgirl Lorette Devine) is because she is NOTORIOUSLY difficult. Just like the role she created — Holliday is as much a handful as Effie. She is her own worst enemy. Which is sad because the woman is phenomenally talented.

She wasn’t asked to do a cameo, her voice was used in the trailer that was released long before the new soundtrack was even recorded (which WAS absolutely legal, no one stole anything — except maybe Holliday’s pride) — so she started mouthin’ off in interviews… and I am sure that’s why no one wanted her dissing everyone in site on the red carpet at the premiere.

YES, she gets dissed alot. YES, there is ageism in Hollywood & the Entertainment industry. YES, fat girls get ignored & mistreated. But if Holliday just learned how to play the damn game, she might actually get some of what she wants & deserves.

Additionally, she’s an overgrown orangutan.

26. Daniel says

Holliday being difficult is putting it mildly. If you read the Michael Bennett biography you see how this very young performer truly put the screws to all these Broadway professionals.

27. Bryan, Texas USA says

My response the Jennifer Holiday, “shut the F&ck up!” She’s been out there for 20+ years. If she hasn’t made it yet, she’s done.

From what I understand, she became a born again christian fanatic. Like Donna Summers, when the clock started ticking too quickly (and the bucks started running out), all of a sudden she was interested in selling out again.

Whatever!

28. david says

sorry andy… maybe you would have shown a little more sympathy is this was a story about your little baby Gyllenhall getting shafted by the powers that be. honestly, its so depressing that a story like this gets dressed up with your tacky, glib commentary but something like the bulge in Jake’s spandex gets the 4 STAR, smiley face delivery. BORING, and typical.

29. pbnyc59 says

I’m shocked at the amount discord over this. Andy and his site are a must. Don’t get the neg vibe.

30. Hank says

Indeed, Ms. Holiday has maintained her “reputation” for more than two decades following Broadway. On “Inside Edition” she admitted to years of clinical depression, and burst into tears because “friends” were confused by the trailer and congradulated her for being chosen for the role of Effie in the film. Yeah, right. She had two choices regarding this film – ally herself and ride on its coatstrings or take her typical “sour grapes” position and be viewed as tragic in the industry. Much more importantly, I am waiting to see which position Ms. Ross takes – I hope she will not continue her path of self-destruction and take the high road. She has caused herself and her beautiful daughters enough embarassment.

31. says

Friends who worked with Jennifer Holiday recently (past few years) have all said, “Never again!”. From their accounts, she is a very difficult (read “crazy”) individual to work with. In gossip-y tones, many of them blame Michael Bennett and the head trips he used to play.

Wasn’t there myself, so I don’t know.

32. Hank says

Andy-Seems that some readers of YOUR blog feel it should be a news site and not YOUR blog. There are countless of us that appreciate reading YOUR blog and respect YOUR right to feature whatever articles and whatever headlines you choose. After all, it is YOUR blog, right?

33. CaliNexus says

Oh Goodness… it is a Full Moon, and evident here, I see. I’m scared to say anything… I don’t want to get into a scratch fight. But Jennifer Holiday should have been at the premiere… that’s wrong. What they should have done was film this thing back in the 1980s with the original Broadway cast…they were all FLAWLESS. I can’t imagine the film soundtrack exceeding the Broadway cast album.

34. Leland says

“she’s an overgrown orangutan”???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did Rosemary’s, excuse me Mary Cheney’s pregnancy open the gates of Hell for such reptiles to craw out onto Towleroad?
    Or, judging by many of these posts, perhaps, today, it should be called Trollroad.

35. Mel Williams says

I was an usher in LA when Jennifer starred in Dreamgirls, & all I haft to say is, there is no one who has ever been able to match her voice as Effie. Lilias White was her understudy, & although she gave a very good acting job, her voice wss no where near what Jennifer’s voice is til this day. Jennifer is an amazing singer, and I hope that the film only enables her to forge ahead in her career. Because God know’s there are no singing Diva’s today like the ones from the 70’s and 8o’s . I love you Jennifer Holliday.

36. John says

Jesus, Jennifer, get over yourself! You didn’t “create” the role. The writer and composer did. You were lucky enough to be the first to play it, and by all accounts (so I’ve heard) you were damn good.

Now move on.

This is the entertainment industry. Integrity and fairness have no currency. You haven’t learned that by now?

Yes, you should have been invited to the premiere. That would have been a nice gesture.
    But the powers that be don’t OWE you ANYTHING. It’s every man for himself out here, babe. Get a clue. Nobody–NOBODY–cares if you “still gotta work.” That’s not anyone’s problem but yours and your management’s. So get over yourself.

Cuz that’s showbiz, kid.

37. Chris says

I loved this post: “I just love the smarmy context this is put in. She goes “on and on.” Yeah, like some people go on and on about Gyllenhaal and Reichen’s every bowel movement.” A-men.

No, this site is not a “must.” There are plenty of blogs by better writers who do not overly fawn or hate on others.

Oh, and whoever called Jennifer an orangutan is a racist.

John, you think you are quite witty, don’t you–guess what? You aren’t…

38. the other jeff says

Did someone already mention that Ms. Hudson isn’t so keen on the gay lefestyle?

When asked if homosexuality in a sin, our new messiah (for one movie role – really?) told a Dallas paper:

“According to the way we’re taught, and what it says in the Bible — it is.”

And Jesus wept. Hallelujah! Book this bitch for the next White Party!

39. condihater says

I saw Jennifer Holliday in a play in Los Angeles titled “Your Hands too Short To Box With God”. She was amazing in it. That was just before she went into Dream Girls. She then tried to lose the “Big” look and had a passable album after that…so what happened? Bad agent? Temper Tantrums? She’s a good actress and was on TV in guest appearances…but no stage work. It’s a shame. Perhaps she’s need someone to help her retool her goals.

40. clinton says

They didn’t invite her because they smell “TROUBLE”. She is a ticking time bomb emotionally and the red carpet of the film premier would be distastrous PR. Sheryl Lee Ralph went to it. I don’t know if she was officially invited or scored a ticket on her own.

Jennifer is great. I saw her twice in the role of “Effie” and once with her understudy. The understudy recieved the nearly the same ovations as Holiday. The part itself and the signature song are just incredibly powerful.

Remember years ago when Whitney covered a piece of “I’m Telling You” and Jennifer was all over the place saying “That’s my song, she has her own”

I think it was at the Grammy’s in the early 90’s.

If she keeps blabbing it will come back and bite her in the ass.

41. condihater says

I was just over at AOL where they’re doing a little comparison between the two. If you listen to Hudson, while a powerful voice, she sounds like a wimpy, clinging little girl; whereas Holliday (in a 1982 Tony clip) sings like a tormented, desperate woman trying to hold things together. Holliday deserves more than she’s getting.

42. resurrect says

D.I.V.A.! gurlz – the bitches are smokin’ hot tonight. whoever said “sour grapes” was right on the money – all this harvest produced was a whole lotta cheap whine.

43. Carlos says

The big problem here is that most people have not seen the original Dreamgirls to compare it to the movie so the movie will be the original to some viewers. It’s a shame it was never captured on DVD and sold to the general public…this would have definately benefited Jennifer Holliday. The song, And I Am Telling You never received any airplay so it’s not very well known. Will Jenifer Hudson be able to carry the role and deliver the emotion and convicton that Jennifer Holliday delivered?…Absolutley NOT!

However, she will have her own fans follow her through and will have to earn her acceptance from the fans that saw the original and know how Efie should have been portrayed.

44. CaliNexus says

For those of you who didn’t see the original show, if ever you find yourself in New York, the New York Public Library has a library of Broadway shows on tape, including Dreamgirls with Jennifer Holliday. And, after reading so much slime, I was tempted to wreck quite a few of you. It’s not worth it…but karma is a motherfucker.

45. Daniel says

I’m just happy Holliday sang that song. I never even heard it until the year 2000. True story: I was living abroad with my lover (part of the same place, part of the same time) who could/would not get a visa to the USA. But i had that song in my ears: “You’re the best man i’ve ever known…And i’m telling you, I’m not going.” Maybe Holliday is a total nutter & a diva, i don’t know. I don’t care. I’m just glad for that song.

46. soulbrotha says

They should have given JHol the role of Effie’s mom!

Mama: Effie! Dinner’s ready, baby.

Effie: Oh Mama I can’t. I going to an audition for a girl group. Isn’t that great? Mama? Did you hear me?

Mama(deeply thinking): If I lock her in her room I could make that audition! Dammit they owe me!!

47. Giovanni says

Jennifer Hudson is to Jennifer Holiday as Katherine Mcphee is to Barbra Streisand – Nuff said…

Well, actually to be fair to Hudson, she is closer to great than good while Mcphee is a paupers Linda Eder (who in turn is…) but neither of the two former American Idols and future “gay icons” have any of the emotional impact of Holiday or Streisand.

In a better more balanced world, Holiday would have had a Streisand like career – She’s that fucking good (I have both the original soundtrack and the film’s and Holiday need not worry about who owns Effie-The second she opens her mouth god falls out and stays until the last note is sung) but for the variety of reasons already stated in previous posts (including a personality disorder) it never happened and she suffered the same fate as countless other women of color in the BIZ (Angela Basset anyone?) who shot out of the gate only to find they had no where to run.

48. just sayin' says

Did someone already mention that Ms. Hudson isn’t so keen on the gay lefestyle?

“According to the way we’re taught, and what it says in the Bible — it is.”

And Jesus wept. Hallelujah! Book this bitch for the next White Party!

Posted by: the other jeff | Dec 6, 2006 7:43:10 PM

**********************************
    I think Hudson’s quote in HX was clearly taken out of context. On being
    asked if gay is a sin, she replied:

“Everybody sins. No sin is greater or different than the other. To each
    his own. If it don’t bother Jennifer, then Jennifer donót mind. I don’t
    really even think about it because I donót believe in judging people for
    what they do. According to the way weóre taught, and what it says in the
    Bible ù it is.”

Subsequently, in response to the negative reactions caused by the above
    quote, this is what she wrote in her myspace blog [http://blog.myspace.com/jenniferhudson]:

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

HAPPY/SAD DAY
    Current mood: depressed

It should be a happy day because I heard that the National Board of Review
    picked me as one of the BreakThru Actresses of the Year. What an honor.
    I was so thrilled when I heard. But it turned into a sad day and I can’t
    understand why or how this happened. When you are up, people try to tear
    you down. Some paper is saying that I have a problem with gay people.
    Its just mean and wrong. My feelings are so hurt and I can’t sleep. Anybody
    that knows me, knows that just ain’t true. Its makes me so mad that people
    can twist your words and say anything they want. And, there’s nothing I
    can do about it, except to say,
    please don’t believe everything you read.

49. bambamabam says

Good catch, Just S. There are so many posts here that are out and out lies if you just go back to the actual quote or news stories.

50. whothefuckareyoupeople? says

Okay, none of you bitches would think twice about Madonna being demanding or emotional as a performer… because she’s MADONNA, right?!?!?!?!?! Get the fuck over it. Jennifer Holliday may be her own worst enemy, but her performance in Dreamgirls is true Broadway history. Anyone who ignores that to take potshots at her doesn’t get the point. Jennifer Holliday is an artist who gained stardom fully in her prime – if you don’t believe me, PLEASE do a YouTube search and watch her performance at the 1982 Tony awards. Un-fucking-believable. I’m as excited as anyone about the new Dreamgirls – Jennifer Hudson has an amazing voice and will sing the ass off of that song, but she is also a MUCH greener performer than Jennifer Holliday and it will be a pleasure to watch her develop and come into her own style and her own persona. As for Jennifer Holliday, she deserves a hell of a lot more respect than some of the mean-spirited queens in this discussion are giving her. She might not be a thin, marketable white chick like Madonna, but she can sing a HELL of a lot better.

51. mark m says

Nobody would say Madonna isn’t demanding??? Not sure the problem is Madonna lovers. I love me some Madonna and am way more familiar with her than Jennifer Holliday but I know Madonna is a major pain in the ass professionally. Seriously, she can be a beast.

Does that detract from her legacy? No. Does Jennifer’s rep take away from her contribution to Dreamgirls? No.

I just don’t get the hate and vitriol on this site. And it seems to be coming from sources who form opinions based on what Andy posts and ignores the historic context (any context for that matter).

Take a deep breath…. and learn what the phrase “benefit if the doubt” means. Seriously, many of you must be really angry miserable people.

52. mark m says

Speaking of Benefit of the Doubt… Several months ago HX did a story on Kim English, a gospel singer-turned dance music diva. The same magazine asked her what her religious views were on homosexuality and she gave a response very similar to Jennifer Hudson.

Some gays were saying that HX was deliberately setting Kim up for a fall so they could sensationalize the story. I gave HX the benefit of the doubt.

Now they have done another story on Jennifer Hudson and asked the same questions of her.

Does anyone see a pattern developing? Before anyone launches into the argument for exposing “enemies among our friends” let me restate Zeke’s position that we are in danger of making enemies of our friends when we corner them on theology.

Two of my best friends are Straight Christians and they say the same thing that Hudson says: that the Bible does not appear to support homosexuality. But they are quick to point out that as Christians they follow the teachings of Christ, who never uttered a word about gays and instead preached tolerance and being non judgmental. So the point is, many Christians choose to put more value in the words of Christ than anything else.

The idea that someone would twist my friend’s words around to paint them as homophobes would send me through the roof.

I think we need to start asking why a gay magazine like HX is asking black female entertainers this question.

53. Feces says

ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

NO ONE IS SAYING JENNIFER HOLLIDAY ISN’T TALENTED OR THAT SHE DOESN’T DESERVE PRAISE & RECOGNITION FOR HER VOICE, FOR PUSHING THE PRODUCERS TO EXPAND EFFIE’S ROLE, AND PUTTING THAT SONG & SHOW ON THE MAP.

HOWEVER, SHE IS NOTORIOUSLY DIFFICULT & A LOOSE CANNON & THAT IS CLEARLY WHY SHE WAS NOT INVITED TO BE A PART OF THE FILM OR ITS PREMIERE.

END. OF. STORY.

She will always be able to sing that song, she will always be known for that song — so what is the problem?

She’s mentally ill & they wanted to keep her off the red carpet.

54. Jonathan says

Jennifer Holliday did not write Dreamgirls but it unfair to say she didn’t create the character of Effie. Effie was supposed to die at the end of Act I in the original production, but Holliday was so incredible that they decided to change the role and keep her alive until the end.

I saw Holliday twice in the original (once in previews (sadly it was better in previews) and once after it opened. Holliday was beyond words. Her lack of a huge career is probably due to two things. One, her voice was not pretty, powerful but not pretty. Two, she was not a pop singer. The type of music best suited to her was esoteric and not really the kind that garners mass appeal. That being said, she was hysterically funny on her short stint as the church singer on “Allie McBeal.” She is a true talent. Her performance was legendary and she should have been an honored guest at the premiere of the film.

55. forreal says

“Like this stupid rumor about Whitney someone’s trying to start. It was CHAKA KHAN, who complained that Whitney should get her own material when Whitney re-cut “I’m Every Woman.” But of course, some dumbass hater has to make a story into a lie.

Posted by: bambamabam | Dec 7, 2006 7:22:19 AM”

Actually it was Jennifer Holliday. I remember the interview on Entertainment Tonight like it was yesterday because it was SCANDALOUS. It was within a few years of Whitney having a child and Jennifer said, among many other things, that “just because you have a child doesn’t make you a woman.”
    That being said, Jennifer Holliday is amazing and there isn’t a soul alive, JHud included, who can TOUCH her performance of And I am Telling You from the ’82 Tony’s – which is on YouTube.
    They should have, at the very least, invited her to the premiere.

56. holdensf says

this is a bad joke, right? jennifer hudson doesn’t have the talent that jennifer holliday has in her toenail clippings.

57. MissRossToYou says

Who’s fault is it that Jennifer Holiday has not been able to recreate her Broadway success? She acts as if she wrote and arranged the song and noone eld has a right to perform it. She most certainly needed to be compensated for her voice in the trailers. She is a difficult and temperamental songstress just life the real character Effie wa…..I mean Florence was!
    She also has a face made for theatre. It should only be seen from a distance. I have hears Jennifer Hudson’s version of And I Am Telling You. She is every bit as good a Jennifer Holiday. She is different but very, very, good. Jennifer Holiday has some vocal oddities that don’t translate onto record well. Her deep and asthmatic breaths are off putting to say the least. If the song is her only legacy she is a very sad person indeed.

58. fromonebitchtoanother says

Who cares that the Broadway Dreamgirls cast didn’t get invites? The Original Dreamgirls (Supremes) didn’t either and the show is based on their real life story! What’s the problem? Carry on Jennifer and keep your mouth shut. Find an agent that will capitalize on this last moment you have for fame. You 15 minutes have long been up….tick…tick…tick…

59. powerfulmind says

I can see (from reading these posts) that there are some MISERABLE ass people in the world!

First of all, I bet MOST of you who can’t relate to Jennifer’s pain, are white! For this reason alone, you need to keep your racist, snaughty remarks to yourself! Most of you won’t understand the pain, anguish and dispare of what being black in showbusiness (let alone in the world) can be like. This controversy around this Dreamgirls movie is so much bigger than most would imagine… Politics and feeding an covert but evil status quo is alive and well…

Whites (talented or not) have always had enormous opportunities across the board because those that are doing the hiring are white… Not to mention that the “power-brokers” (for the most part) are catering to other whites.

Now, having said that, these aforementioned dynamics creates ingredients that can make someone like Jennifer Holiday invisible and ultimately very bitter indeed… The industry (which produces “products” reflective of our society) has a system that rewards white, skinny, talent-less blondes (first); negative sterotypical ethic behavior (secondly) but the REAL talented people who have integrity, are hidden and repressed. So you see, a Jennifer Holiday didn’t have a fair shake in the game to begin with! Her only crime was being an overweight black woman in a racist, youth and image obsessed society.

Instead of you nay-sayers posting comments like “she needs to get over it” and that her “15 minutes is up”, crap! YOU — THE DAMN CONSUMER, NEED do your part to change the status quo – by refusing to put your money into superficial, mindless, garbage and invest in something real and meaningful!

This is a planet of over 6 billion people, we can easily note that there is plenty of room for people of all ages, races, body sizes and sexual persuasions at the TOP… The problem is that we (at the crowded bottom) continue to feed into an extremely narrow minded view of what is acceptable or unacceptable to our collective conciousness.

Both Jennifer’s are superb and deserve respect and honor for being beautiful and talented human beings with special gifts to share with us all!