Wingnut Daily: Soy Makes You Gay

The war on soy milk is officially on. According to this op-ed by Jim Rutz in conservative rag World Net Daily (aka Wingnut Daily), soy products are the reason the world has seen an increase in homosexuals!

Wingnutsoy“Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the penis, sexual confusion and homosexuality. That’s why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today’s rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soy products. (Most babies are bottle-fed during some part of their infancy, and one-fourth of them are getting soy milk!) Homosexuals often argue that their homosexuality is inborn because ‘I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t homosexual.’ No, homosexuality is always deviant. But now many of them can truthfully say that they can’t remember a time when excess estrogen wasn’t influencing them.”

Hmm. So what’s more dangerous to drink, soy milk or the Jesus juice in Jim Rutz’s fridge?

A devil food is turning our kids into homosexuals [world net daily]
(thanks phillip)

Comments

1. jimmyboyo says

LOL

My mother breast fed me, I drank cow milk for most of my life, and I realized I was gay at 16

A few years ago I became lactose intolerant (yes, you can develope it due to a mutlitude of reasons)and can only drink soy milk. I was gay pre my drinking soy milk, I am not gayer now,and my penis is quite beautiful….a lot of people have told me so. :-)

2. Cory says

ROFL LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL my sides! I’m crying. lol is this guy serious? No, I mean, really, is he serious? This has got to be an SNL skit. Is that Will Farrell in costume???

The sad reality is a lot of people are behind this one, probably yelling “Mmmmm-hhhmmmm, praise Jesus.” “Dat’s right, soy is baaaad for da babies, makin’ der pee-pees small n’ givin’ ’em breasts’.” LOL Someone please get rid of the middle states. Please. Canada? Any one? We’ll trade you for Quebec…

3. RP says

Haha! What “udder” nonsense! Sorry… couldn’t resist.

Ok. I live a few blocks from PETA’s headquarters, which means there are a lot of vegans/vegetarians (including myself) in my neighborhood. If that were true… my neighborhood should be crawling with gay men. Not to mention 80% of my friends are vegan AND straight… unless, they aren’t telling me something.

4. John T says

Wait, so this guy says homosexuality is biologically determined, after all? Does that mean the Christians will still think it’s a sinful lifestyle choice?

5. JT says

“Decrease in the size of the penis?” I’ve been drinking soymilk for a few years now and, believe me, there’s been no shrinkage. As a matter of fact…oh, dear, this is a family blog.

6. RP says

“P.S.: Soy sauce is fine. Unlike soy milk, it’s perfectly safe because it’s fermented, which changes its molecular structure. Miso, natto and tempeh are also OK, but avoid tofu.”

Hahahaha! This just gets better and better.

7. sam says

It is absolutely absurd, of course, and it’s hard to imagine what sort of person would actually take it seriously. However, strange as it seems, there are people for whom homosexuality is so mysterious and evil that they will believe anything about it. They are desperate to cling to their belief that homosexuality is not inborn, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, because if they admit that we are born gay, then God must have made us that way, and their belief system falls apart.

8. Jeff says

Oh dear. Someone had better e-mail this news to New Delhi. Tell them to put that order of extra small condoms on hold till this theory is duplicated and peer-reviewed!

9. pbnyc59 says

If not so funny it would be sad. The people who are stupid enough to believe this idiot should clog their arteries and die an early death. That way we can shrink the GOP.

Brings to mind two of my favorite lines:

Pay him no mind, he doesn’t have one.

and Murphy’s Law … never argue with a fool…people might not know the difference.

10. Marco says

So if I cut out soy products, will i begin feeling a desire to eat pussy?

Time to cover my lunchtime BLT in soy sauce and was it down with a gallon of soy milk.

11. EireKev says

So many good comments…

Anyway I hate pseudo-science. Blaming the prevalence of soy in products retroactively for there being “so many” gays around today… And what about the studies that have linked excess testosterone in the womb to gayness (and larger penises. woo!)?

Pity he also fails to mention that beer contains analogues of estrogen as well. Ironic since we ALL know the gays don’t drink beer.

12. says

Meanwhile, most of the huge mega-dairies here in the United States are injecting bovine growth hormones into their cows to get them to make more milk. You’d think idiot Rutz would be more concerned about that.

13. says

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! THAT’S ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS! I KNEW it was the faggoty soy milk that made me splurge on that Diana Ross and the Supremes box set! Let’s hear it for SoyBoys everywhere! Bravo- this is hysterical!

14. tjc says

Actually, there is legitmate concern over the effects of “environmental estrogens”.
    This includes the plant-based phytoestrogens of the modern soy-heavy diet (soy products are in LOTS of stuff, not just tofu).

Environmental estrogens — estrogens in the environment that wind up in an animal but are not produced by that animal — are found in plastics, pesticides, plants, and of course, drugs (like birth control pills). Included in the category are chemicals which are not normally estrogens by chemical makeup but which behave like estrogens when in animals.

The effects of environmental estrogens (natural and man-made) are wide-spread and serious:
    – Search: environmental estrogen penises
    – Search: environmental estrogens site:.edu

– Environmental Estrogens: http://www.envtox.ucdavis.edu/cehs/TOXINS/estrogens.htm
    – Environmental Estrogen Endocrine Disruptors: http://enhs.umn.edu/5200/estrogen/wildlife.html
    – Factors linked to risk of early puberty: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/10/18/healthscience/snearly.php

Fun annoying fact: the British spelling of estrogen is oestrogen. This makes online searches much more interesting.

So while the WND wingnut is an utter loon for his “soy is causing the destruction of western civilization,” we should pay attention to the real science that he’s misrepresenting.

15. HZH says

This is all fun and game, but I must say that soy bean, or rather the phytoestrogens it contains, is known to have biochemical effect on human, both good and bad. I have read of vegetarian women who ate excessive amount of tofu while pregnant and gave birth to children with mulformed genital (the incidence of genital defects is apparently higher among vegetarians). Excessive is the key word here. Everything in moderation I say, especially with what you eat.

16. Robert In WeHo says

First, homosexuality existed long before soy milk and soy products ever came into existence as food products in Western culture. So, right there his creation-theory based junk-science derived assertion goes down in flames.

But let me see if I understand the Wingnut theory of life, the universe and everything related to homosexuality:

Drinking soy milk causes homosexuality which can then be cured by drinking Gator-Aid and not wearing Calvin Klein underwear.

ROTFLMAO!

Wingnuts are such crackpots…

17. Robert In WeHo says

Peter,

I suspect he’s implying that gay men have small penises because he himself personally suffers from the shame of having a “tiny little dick” which is why he spends his entire life trying to tear everyone else down in order so that he can overcome his personal shame by accusing clearly superior human beings (like us) of having a smaller dick than he does…

18. Zeke says

Now is it more clear why I got into a pissing match with “MIKE” last week for linking WorldNetDaily to prove his point that homosexuals are incapable of having long term monogamous relationships?

This is the kind of crap they spew on a Wing Nut Daily basis.

19. Anon says

Excess estrogen in the diet or from steroids would cause gynecomastia in adult males. We don’t see this happening in the general population, so the ciculating levels must be fairly low.

Now, soy is extremely unpopular in India, yet we just got a report on smaller than average endowments in that country.

There is an emphasis in his argument, as old as the hills, that gay men are “feminine”, yet this is not generally the case. At best he could only argue that “feminine” gay men ate too much soy, though how one defines “feminine” here is unknown.

One needs to ask if conservatives would be willing to commit to genetic engineering or abortion to prevent homosexual children from being born. They seem to have a general agenda of preventing homosexuals from being born or “made”.

There are also leftwing attacks against soy, mostly along these same lines (without the gay angle) and also in regard to environmental and residual pesticide exposure. A lot of soy products are GM, which would be banned in Europe but not in the US. This is a leftwing policy. There is a blight killing off soy in wide swaths here in the US now, which is raising the price of the crop and probably reducing its presence in food products as a result. Soy was only sold as a cheap-to-grow plant to farmers and cheap substitute in foodstocks. If it becomes more expensive then food makers will go back to older product lines.

This “medical” explanation seems a long way from the “mothering” issues normally considered by rightwing homophobes and may be an indication of “compromise” on their part to handle increasing gay acceptance. It would certainly advance the argument of the immutability of sexual orientation. Calling James Dobson!

20. Robert In WeHo says

Anon, I think you’re giving these religious nuts way too much credit in suggesting that this may be their attempt to reconcile their ignorant beliefs about homosexuality with the growing acceptance of homosexuality in our society. If there’s one truism that can be universally applied to contemporary religious zealots it’s that their deeply held “faith” stands as an insurmountable roadblock to their ability to embrace reason. As far as this gentleman and his ridiculous theory on homosexuality is concerned, I’m quite certain that, to him, it all makes perfect sense and that he has already worked out all the details necessary to integrate this lunacy into his existing truth(s) about homosexuality. I’d like to believe that the wingnuts are trying to come around and be reasonable, but I don’t think this represents that step in their thinking.

21. RB says

Again, soy! If my mother only knew….

What was he thinking?! I wish that he had said anything other than soy. Anything that could possibly make me say, hmmm, maybe, but soy?! I cannot even find this laughable! I am still trying, but speachless nonetheless. What was he thinking…I suppose ignorance knows no boundaries!

22. V Kumar says

Another attempt to label & slot gays…..when will the str8 world stop marginalizing us gays & bisexuals or/and find reasons to define “why we are the way we are”…”happy” and gay….stop trying to analyse us & justify our existence.If u think we are not “normal”…u r in denial my friend & need to re-define the term “normal” since our sexuality cannot be used to define/label/slot us…why is “sexuality” per se such an issue with the world…str8 world included.

23. rudy says

This is hysterical! I was breast fed and raised on high cream content milk from our dairy cows and am gay while my brother was fed soymilk formula because he was (and remains) lactose intolerant and is about as straight as they come. He has always been, however, accepting of me and his many gay friends. Maybe soymilk just makes straight men more intelligent and compassionate.

24. mark m says

We’re not giving Jim Rutz enough credit.

His findings are sound. When Rutz had sex with a man with a small penis, he asked him about his dietary habits.

And every one of them drank soy milk.

25. says

Why am I not surprised?

This guy, Jim Rutz, also believes in witches, demons, and zombies.

His bio on JimRutz.com is good for a laugh too. It’s riddled with typos and errors. It also details how he used to sell vitamins (I smell a Pat Robertson wannabe) and “compressed five years [of college] into eight” studying (of all things) semantics. Again, why am I not surprised?

26. says

Why am I not surprised?

This guy, Jim Rutz, also believes in witches, demons, and zombies.

27. just sayin' says

I think this is excellent. What he’s claiming is so far out that it’s the wingnut version of “reductio ad absurdum”.

The more moderate/better educated conservatives would see that this is the kind of absurd/surreal conclusion their bigoted beliefs would entail when pushed to their logical extreme, and hopefully, become more rational and less judgmental in the process.

It’s really all about education.

28. Luis says

My Personal Trainer, who is by no means gay, drinks soy milk and told me I should drink too. Do you think he was trying to get rid of competition, because he seems to have no problem with his heterosexuality and wasn’t even aware of my homosexuality. Hmm, I wonder if Muscle & Fitness deep down is trying to turn everyone into gays. What next from the conservatives? No wonder Christ had to die for the sins of the world, He was probably just trying to get away from the mad lot, for those who believe in Him.

29. RP says

???

It’s even crazier than that though. It wasn’t devils exactly but zombies. He wrote that if you pray hard enough you can return your relatives from the grave… which would essentially make them zombies.
    Apparently one of the big parts of this guy’s shtick is that he has “documented” resurrections in 52 countries around the world.

30. moose says

it’s funny. i read this, and i don’t believe cuz it sounds retarded, but i was fed soy milk as a baby. i wouldn’t drink regular milk. what’s funny about this is that i am gay AND i have a relatively small penis. kinda funny, but i know you can’t generalize from one example. it’d be interesting, to me at least, to make a study on this.

31. EireKev says

I wouldn’t recommend people give their kids soy milk or products (or any other products that contain phytoestrogens). Not because they might “turn gay”, but because their brains are still developing and oestrogen plays a key role in the development of a number of brain regions. And, although I loath to add to Jim Rutz’s arguement, some studies have found differences in the size of certain brain regions (for example, the Anterior Commissure) between (some) gay men and straight men which could be due to hormones/steroids such as oestrogen (the role of oestrogen in the development of the AC might already be proven. Check google/pubmed).

Having said that, I know that I didn’t consume any soy products until well after puberty (and I knew I was gay from the moment puberty hit) and the theory regarding excess tesosterone in the womb due to the former presence of a older brother fits me exactly (right down to the effect on finger ratios). The “gay gene” theory probably matches others. So there’s probably many biological explanation for gayness which is why it’s proven so difficult to explain scientifically.