Figure Skating | Johnny Weir | Mark Lund | News | Sports

Former Skater Mark Lund Responds to Johnny Weir Outburst

Former figure skater-turned-commentator Mark Lund has released a statement regarding recent criticism of his public trashing of figure skater Johnny Weir. The clip was in our guide on Tuesday, but I'll post it here again for those who didn't see it.

Statement from Mark Lund:

"It has unfortunately become typical that journalists and members of the media who dare to comment about a celebrity or public figure that acts outrageously often come under attack. I see I am now one of those unfortunate targets. This is in reference to remarks I made during the television show Reflections on Ice regarding the reigning U.S. Men's Figure Skating Champion Johnny Weir.

My credentials in the sport and art of figure skating are well known, as is my orientation as an out gay man. I stand by my statement "overly out without being out" 100%. I say to Mr. Weir, "You enjoy being outspoken and a free spirit. You have said frequently that you have been brought up to speak your mind. However, you refuse to support the very community that paved the way for you." I say to all those that believe my comments about Mr. Weir were homophobic to take a step back and realize the beliefs you are actually expressing. Mr. Weir is an individual who enjoys all the rights of the gay community without coming out to support the gay community. Now who is the hypocrite here? Most certainly not me.

Johnny_weir_1_2

With Mr. Weir posing for photos wearing heels and elaborate makeup in the pages of BlackBook magazine, I say, 'Please don't insult the grand drag queens of yesterday and today, unless you thank them for their tireless efforts of days past and present by acknowledging them publicly.'

My comments regarding his costuming were nothing more than what you see in the newsmagazines and on TV when journalists critique celebrities on the red carpet. I have never liked his costumes and they have become more and more elaborate in recent seasons. They do not represent the sport of figure skating that I love. Why don't we take a look at the competitive costumes of skaters like Robin Cousins and John Curry. They understood classical elegance. Without a slight to great ballet dancers, my comment that Mr. Weir looks like a prima ballerina on the ice was meant to illustrate what I feel is his outrageous presentation of the sport and art of figure skating. I know I am not alone in my comments.

As a gay man who grew up in a small town in the 1970's, I was able to look up to those in the sport of figure skating—gay and straight—who earned my admiration through character, dedication and sportsmanship. I am glad to say some of them are great friends of mine today.

Mr. Weir is free to wear what he wants, but he should back it up with actions. No one denies his enormous talent, but my comments were meant to reflect my feeling that he prefers drawing attention for being outrageous to drawing attention for being a great figure skater. The subject of the show on which I made my comments was a preview of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which is a competitive sporting event.

To Mr. Weir, and his apparent legions of fans, to quote the old scoring system, there has been no 6.0 in your collective performances."

Unfortunately for Lund, I think he's still on the losing end of this argument.

You may have missed...
Johnny Weir Hasn't Lost Touch with his Feminine Side [tr]
Johnny Weir: Pin-up Princess [tr]

Comments

1. Mark Lund is a major league jackass. He most certainly does not represent my gay community.

Posted by: Ian | Jan 11, 2007 8:55:37 AM

2. I'm going to go with Mr. Lund on this one. While it is not necessary for a celebrity to be out, in my opinion, I think that Johnny Weir should talk the talk, since he definitely walks the walk.

Posted by: Ken | Jan 11, 2007 8:59:00 AM

3. Lund would appear to be painting himself as a victim. Poor boy.

Lund, as a paid analysist, is free to critique Weir's skating and costumes. However, this is what it looks like when one thinks that he or she is an arbiter of how another should look, behave and live in the "community". It is not pretty.

Posted by: KJ | Jan 11, 2007 9:04:51 AM

4. Whatever. Lund is a jerk. So because Weir doesn't support the gay community as Lund would like him to, he trashes his style as not masculine enough? Lund didn't criticize Weir for his apparent lack of interest in all things gay. He attacked his apparent lack of maleness.

Lund is an asshole, and Kerrigan is no better. Plain and simple. A preference for "classical elegance" is one thing, and Lund seems articulate enough to have stated his preference during the show. He didn't. He attacked Weir's lack of masculinity, which gays have to put up with on a daily basis from straight homophobes. One action doesn't justify the other.

BTW, Lund, you're no Clint Eastwood, so quit your bitching.

Posted by: Anon1 | Jan 11, 2007 9:09:23 AM

5. Unlike some "straight-acting" public figures, Johnny Weir doesn't need to make it official. He's obviously so gay that Mr. Lund's tirade is just small-minded and stupid!

Even though Lund is out, it is clear that he is SO afraid of "those bad stereotypes" or something, that he's just pissing on himself, right there on television.

Shape up, Mark. Use your brain, if you have one!

Posted by: Alan | Jan 11, 2007 9:09:38 AM

6. Gay ice skaters???!!! Next people will start claiming that fashion designers are gay too!

Posted by: homer | Jan 11, 2007 9:15:36 AM

7. Lund is nothing new. He's simply a bitchy queen spouting off because someone asked. He has an ideal image of what a male athelete should look like. Johnny embarrases him as a creative gay man not tied down by conventions or having to look masculine (whatever that means). And while Lund is no 'screamer', every time he opens his mouth his purse falls out as they say.

Posted by: Rucka | Jan 11, 2007 9:28:00 AM

8. I support lund

You say weir is so flamboyant that he doesn't have to come out because it is so obvious....well, trust me there are fan girls in peoria who swear up and down he is straight. Also if it is so obvious then why the hell not admit it. Does he feel being open , proud, and out is bad?

Weir despite his talent is a JOKE. he has made himself into a joke.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jan 11, 2007 9:28:39 AM

9. Jimmy -

You're ignoring the recent trend in the younger gay community to not feel the need to say "hey i'm gay," because they feel it's not that big of a deal. Isn't that what a lot of people are striving for...for being gay to be just that...being gay.

Posted by: nycredneck | Jan 11, 2007 9:36:46 AM

10. ditto Andy, as The lady Lund doth protest too much, methinks and IMHO wrong for so many reasons: Lund attempting to turn himself into a victim would top the dip-shit list - and is it me, or doesn't his waste of a little too much copy criticizing Weir's costumes smack just a tad of jealousy? The idea that only 'fully out' queers have the right to be flamboyant is, of course, absurd and the concept of owing a debt re: our present rights to those who fought before us is, like asking young Americans to appreciate George Washington for the freedoms we enjoy - it's true, but without teeth and hard to connect to as anything other than 'concept'. As for Weir's coming out - I believe it's so easy for so many of us to demand this sort of transparency, but I know it took me years to finally come out (and stay out - don't ask) and all I had to face were some family and friends, not the American Press and, by extension, public - when you're as insanely obsessed with your sport, craft or art as many of these kids are, adding to that the shit storm that publically coming out would surely bring might make anybody postpone that Big Announcement. I do believe honesty - and disclosure - is paramount... but so is the right to pick and choose when and where to do so - just so long as one, in the end, does. If anybody's out of place in all this,it's Lund wearing that Former NFL-certified suit mentioning his Bible Study and need for masculinity and tradition on the ice, all delivered in near-falsetto, hands aflutter - weird to me

Posted by: randall | Jan 11, 2007 9:37:38 AM

11. Outsports article:

Posted by: Lady Heather | Jan 11, 2007 9:45:25 AM

12. Lord. Who cares? They are figure skaters. I'm shocked this story has gotten this much time on this blog. I would have much rather have heard about how the Democrats and Pelosi have already lied with their first 100 hours. As of my comment, we are already 140 hours into this congress. I think we need more in congress than just a two party system.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 11, 2007 9:54:56 AM

13. NYCredneck

Actualy the trend amongst the youth is pansexuality...another couple of generations and we will be just the bonobo chimps and everybody just fucks everybody depending on their mood of the moment.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jan 11, 2007 9:57:19 AM

14. matt how have they lied

So far

1- enact anti lobbying reforms...NO gifts, no meals, no plane tickets CHECK!!!
    2- raise minimum wage CHECK
    3- enact 9/11 comission recomendations such as screening all air and sea imports CHECK

and the 100 hours isn't up yet

They are going by actual legislative hours....not the hours when the capital is closed and everyone is asleep

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jan 11, 2007 10:00:39 AM

15. Oh please. Mark Lund is a just a bitchy, jealous queen who had forgettable success as a skater himself and even lesser success as a commentator. If anyone has classical style on the ice it's Weir. I agree with the fact that he is the most "out" skater (and the most talented) that we have. Is he supposed to go on ESPN and say,"I thought my performance went well. I'M GAY!!" His actions and costumes speak loud enough. Also remember he is much, much younger that Ms. Lund and under a huge amount of pressure. So the attention has gone to his head--he's a kid. Give him a break. As far as Lund defending Evan Lysacek as the more masculine, and thus more acceptable (and boring) skater--I find that insulting. Male figure skating is a faggy sport when done well. I met both Johnny and Evan and both are clearly gay in person. So who's fighting for our team? I love the swan outfits. I love the layback spins. Nell it up and keep it coming. If the traditionalists of figure skating can't deal then do it twice as much.
    I would say that 3 national titles speak for themselves. Props johnny. (and Camille)

Jack

Posted by: jackmax2 | Jan 11, 2007 10:04:30 AM

16. So let me get this straight(NPI)--if Weir were to publicly, explicity label himself as "gay" (something more and more young, sexually enlightened people are unwilling to do; for reasons which have nothing to do with the traditional closet), Lund would suddenly support Weir's overtly gay style? Bullshit. Lund is that dangerous brand of hypocrite who enables bigots to justify their prejudice by being able to align themselves with someone in the targeted category. He is so deeply ashamed of his association with femininity that he has to justify his condemnation of it with an attack on someone's personal politics. Think of this way: Do you think for a minute that if Evan Lysacek was known to be gay but hadn't gone on record about it, that Lund would have ever brought that up? No--because according to Lund, it's only OK to be demure about who you fuck if you're 'masculine.' What a nasty queen it is.

Posted by: rascal | Jan 11, 2007 10:15:35 AM

17. There's a difference in "acting gay" and actively and openly supporting your community. Weir only does one of those. But, Lund, the poor little targeted homo, really should MHB next time.

Posted by: shane | Jan 11, 2007 10:19:39 AM

18. He missed what I think is the biggest point: Lund, more feminine that Weir, sat there and and attempted some sort of reparative gender insult towards Weir that was so obviously emerging from his own low self-esteem or lack of pride. Lund was awkward about the whole thing, tipping us off to the awkwardness that's located in him, emerging in some sort of attack on Weir. The problem resides in Lund. Deep in Lund somewhere.

And, yeah, Jack is right: Lund's support and/or protection for traditional skating norms is a smack in the face to the free gender expression of young men and women today, including and exemplified by Weir. It seems to me that Lund wants Weir's attentions, prostrations, and gratitude, almost as if Lund thinks Weir's success is only a product of his washed up existence.

Posted by: sean | Jan 11, 2007 10:20:10 AM

19. "The subject of the show on which I made my comments was a preview of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which is a competitive sporting event."

So why did he try to turn it into the Mark Lund Gay Community Hour along the lines of a local open access cable channel? The competition, obviously, in Lund's mind, was about being gay, not skating. Lund is a bad, bad sport.

Posted by: sean | Jan 11, 2007 10:25:15 AM

20. That's right Jack, let's swish it up even more... why not wear a dress on the ice instead of a swan gettup?

I"m sorry but I don't agree with your statement that figure skating is better the more "faggy" it is. The word "fag" is an ugly word and I'm fed up with gays using it as the gay equivalent of the "N" word.

I believe in letting Weir be himself, as outrageous as that may be, but (as you point out) he is still a kid who has let the pressure go to his head.

I can forgive that.

Just don't speak for all skating fans when you say that the more effeminate the sport can get, the better it will be. Weir is obviously a role model to lots of young, effeminate gay men who also idolize Paris Hilton and Lyndsey Lohan because they are outrageous and fashionable. But Just as Lund doesn't speak for all gays, neither does Weir. He certainly doesn't represent my community.

Just as I am not physically attracted to men who appear and dress feminine, I prefer a masculine skaters and I am not alone. My husband, who is an even bigger skating fan than me feels the same as do all of our friends.

Not one of us has any hate for Weir, but we have noticed that his skating has been unfocussed and messy as of late and when a skater loves to steal the spotlight with his mouth, he better have the skill to back it up and Weir is doing a very poor job of that lately.

Posted by: mark m | Jan 11, 2007 10:32:55 AM

21. And here we go again. People criticizing a gay man's masculinity.

Let's all bring ourselves down by yelling every anti-gay slur at each other.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 11, 2007 10:34:46 AM

22. Lund just had offered sex to Johnny and Johnny said "no". This is result I quess...
    Lund is ordinary revengeful bitch!

Posted by: Sasha from Russia | Jan 11, 2007 10:36:07 AM

23. Sad, sad, sad to see homophobia. Even more coming from an 'out' gay man. But we've been known to cannibalize our own in terms of masculinity. Now, if you really want to give an earful to Mr. Lund (who flames hard with those hands and those eyebrows) and remind him that masculinity comes in different shapes and forms, go to his website and let him have it:

Posted by: xavier | Jan 11, 2007 10:41:30 AM

24. AND HERE WE GO AGAIN. PEOPLE CRITICIZING A GAY MAN'S MASCULINITY.

LET'S ALL BRING OURSELVES DOWN BY YELLING EVERY ANTI-GAY SLUR AT EACH OTHER.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 11, 2007 10:45:51 AM

25. As they say, television is a "cool" medium. You generally don't want to say anything mean or negative as it makes you look bad. Lund hasn't heard about this apparently.

I don't think we are at the point socially where young gay men can say "Oh, I don't have to come out--things are different now..." It sounds like chickening-out to me. I don't believe in the "pansexual" revolution either. Kids may say it's true, but again, they're just scared kids. Haven't we seen all the bashing stories lately right here on TR? They are going to scare anyone.

Posted by: anon | Jan 11, 2007 10:52:38 AM