American Idol | I'm Not Gay | News | Sanjaya Malakar

Sanjaya Malakar: I'm Not Gay, I Just Understand Women

Sanjaya

Swoon-inspiring American Idol phenom Sanjaya explains to People why he inspires such a strong reaction from females:

Sanjaya_malakar"I've always gotten along with girls better because I was raised by women. I got teased in school because people figured I must be gay because I understand women. I think that's why guys didn't like me – because I got along with girls so well. When I went up to girls they would give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek like I was their gay friend. But I was the straight guy that understood them...I had a girlfriend but she became clingy, and I didn't want to get into a really serious relationship because I was 16. I just wanted to date and have fun"

Sanjaya was roasted once again on last night's Idol Gives Back telethon following Jack Black's amusing performance of "Kiss from a Rose", clipped here below...

You may have missed...
American Idol's Blake Lewis Loses His Shirt [tr]
Clay Aiken on Mission to Afghanistan [tr]
Former Idol Contestant Mario Vazquez: I'm Not Gay [tr]
Idol's Chris Richardson and Blake Lewis Get Cozy [tr]

Comments

1. Randy "Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo" Jackson needs to update his lexicon. Word up.

Posted by: PC | Apr 26, 2007 8:48:31 AM

2. I was hoping Sanjaya would win and hopefully put the first nail in the coffin of this Karaoke Crapfest.

We have enough lame pop music to choose from without the cheese this show produces. Enough already.

Posted by: Marco | Apr 26, 2007 8:59:50 AM

3. i'm not fat, i just understand food.

Posted by: candi | Apr 26, 2007 9:00:38 AM

4. I am not a skank, I just understand men.

Posted by: paris | Apr 26, 2007 9:03:32 AM

5. Come on people cut the boy some slack. Now don't get me wrong. He's a no talent hack and is one of the reasons why I'm bitter, cranky, and fat (okay, I can't blame him for my cookie love), but how old is the kid? 12? 13? 14? How many of us at that age could have been able to handle all of this media attention and our own realization that we like a little dick?

Posted by: James | Apr 26, 2007 9:30:07 AM

6. I'm not gay, I just sang like one on TV with very feminine mannerisms, child please, you should be ashamed of those drag queen hair does instead of saying you aren't gay.

One of these days, this sort of silly comment will hopefully not be needed, since if he's straight, I'm Barbara Bush posting here.

Posted by: Geoff | Apr 26, 2007 9:32:12 AM

7. There are some ignorant presumptions in the comments sections. Sexual orientation is not the same as gender expression. Sanjaya is not very masculine, perhaps extremely effeminate for a male. That does not indicate his sexual orientation, which only has to do the sex or sexes he is attracted to. Linking effeminancy with homosexuality is not only antiquated, but also is erroneous.

Posted by: Javier | Apr 26, 2007 9:34:31 AM

8. Count me in as one who is glad that Sanjaya isn't part of the team. Ditto that he isn't in the freaking headlines 24/7 now that he's off the show.

Posted by: Jonathon | Apr 26, 2007 9:40:02 AM

9. Oh come ON! I have absolutely ZERO 'gaydar,' and even I can see from a mile away that this kid is gay. He might 'understand' women, but I guarantee the idea of having sex with one of them turns his stomach. If it's a borderline thing, I might understand putting your career ahead of the truth. But if it's patently obvious, I don't see the point in denying it.

Posted by: myzenart | Apr 26, 2007 9:41:48 AM

10. Tick tock, Sanjaya. Time's up.

ps - you made me chuckle a little bit, James.

Posted by: midnight lounge | Apr 26, 2007 9:41:57 AM

11. When I was a kid I used of similar rationalizations to convince myself I wasn't really gay. I eventually grew out of it.

Posted by: sam | Apr 26, 2007 9:47:07 AM

12. Of course he's not gay, he's doing his sister!

Posted by: Wayne | Apr 26, 2007 10:06:07 AM

13. I hope he remembers this interview when a couple of years from now, he admits he was gay all along and was just trying to protect his ummmm career.

Posted by: gabe | Apr 26, 2007 10:21:20 AM

14. Maybe he's gay, maybe he's not, but the tired notion that effeminate = gay is just holding us back.

Posted by: Dan E | Apr 26, 2007 10:27:03 AM

15. Hasn't he used up his 15 minutes already?

Good riddance .... see ya ...

Sanjaya Who?

Posted by: Chapeau | Apr 26, 2007 10:43:25 AM

16. Wasn't he voted Maxim's "Woman of the Year"?

He will still get the record and concert deals to feather what ever his bed is for a long time. Like whats-his-name and that other one... he'll be around for a long time.

Posted by: Rad | Apr 26, 2007 10:59:39 AM

17. Cosign with PC. Randy Jackson, shut the the fuck UP already!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Apr 26, 2007 11:01:14 AM

18. It may be trendy to say that straight men can have effeminate mannerisms too, but puhleeeeeeeeease.

Every effeminate boy I went to school with -- the ones who always said they were just sensitive and they "understood women" turned out to be a homosexual man.

Every last one.

Posted by: mark m | Apr 26, 2007 11:02:24 AM

19. Yeah, that's something like the Australian "I don't know why people keep saying I'm gay" Idol, before he eventually came out.

Sanjaya is just a 17 year old kid though. We should cut him some slack. He didn't say anything offensive and he seems to be a genuinely nice, untalented young man.

He'll be fine.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 26, 2007 11:20:10 AM

20. randy jackson is a cartoon.

Posted by: A.J. | Apr 26, 2007 11:41:14 AM

21. While I don't care if he's gay or not, its yet another sad statement that he has to be asked that question, as if being gay is such a horrible thing. And, sure he may be "straight," and "understands" women, but, so do the Claymates, loads of women like asexual men for some reason.

And, just when are his 15 minutes of fame up, what next, speaking about his hair and lack of talent at the UN?

And, please get rid of that walking negative sterotype, Randy "buffon" Jackson.

Posted by: John | Apr 26, 2007 12:00:34 PM

22. I don't watch American Idol, but yesterday I caught parts of their 'Idol Gives Back' special and I felt it was totally unbecoming how the show kept cracking jokes at him. He's one of your contestants for damn @$$!! It just goes to show how ruthless and vain the premise of AI is, they use and dispense of their candidates at will, and no matter the fact that he's 17 and brought them a lot of ratings, now they have to act as if he placed himself in the top 24.

In regards to him being gay or not, I don't care or need him to identify himself one way or the other. The gay community doesn't "need" anyone...and truth be told, with sexuality there are no blacks and whites, and nobody tells the whole truth..so in the end how you *identify* yourself (no who you truly are) is a CHOICE. So if a male you're 98% into men, and say you're straight, who am I to come and say you're lying? and vice versa. This is so stupid.

I only focus on those people who see value & BEAUTY in identifying with the LGBT genre, and understand the role we can play into making the world a better place..

/rant over.

Posted by: Da | Apr 26, 2007 12:44:18 PM

23. He's only 17!?!

Posted by: Giovanni | Apr 26, 2007 12:57:07 PM

24. Why is it that in 2007, being gay is a personality flaw, and requires you to deny it, even if you are straight? The more forward we go, the more backwards, and why is this kid so famous anyway? And, as far as him only being 17, some seem to forget, there are some 17 year olds who are more mature than a 37 year old, and this kid seems to fit that bill, he knows what time it is, and his "people" are making sure of that.

Posted by: mark | Apr 26, 2007 1:08:45 PM

25. an effete male does not always make a gay one. learn it. know it. and stop picking up your stereotypes at the express lane at sterotypes-r-us.

Posted by: sean | Apr 26, 2007 1:18:19 PM