Sanjaya Malakar: I’m Not Gay, I Just Understand Women

Sanjaya

Swoon-inspiring American Idol phenom Sanjaya explains to People why he inspires such a strong reaction from females:

Sanjaya_malakar“I’ve always gotten along with girls better because I was raised by women. I got teased in school because people figured I must be gay because I understand women. I think that’s why guys didn’t like me – because I got along with girls so well. When I went up to girls they would give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek like I was their gay friend. But I was the straight guy that understood them…I had a girlfriend but she became clingy, and I didn’t want to get into a really serious relationship because I was 16. I just wanted to date and have fun”

Sanjaya was roasted once again on last night’s Idol Gives Back telethon following Jack Black’s amusing performance of “Kiss from a Rose”, clipped here below…

You may have missed…
American Idol’s Blake Lewis Loses His Shirt [tr]
Clay Aiken on Mission to Afghanistan [tr]
Former Idol Contestant Mario Vazquez: I’m Not Gay [tr]
Idol’s Chris Richardson and Blake Lewis Get Cozy [tr]

Comments

1. PC says

Randy “Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo” Jackson needs to update his lexicon. Word up.

2. Marco says

I was hoping Sanjaya would win and hopefully put the first nail in the coffin of this Karaoke Crapfest.

We have enough lame pop music to choose from without the cheese this show produces. Enough already.

3. says

Come on people cut the boy some slack. Now don’t get me wrong. He’s a no talent hack and is one of the reasons why I’m bitter, cranky, and fat (okay, I can’t blame him for my cookie love), but how old is the kid? 12? 13? 14? How many of us at that age could have been able to handle all of this media attention and our own realization that we like a little dick?

4. Geoff says

I’m not gay, I just sang like one on TV with very feminine mannerisms, child please, you should be ashamed of those drag queen hair does instead of saying you aren’t gay.

One of these days, this sort of silly comment will hopefully not be needed, since if he’s straight, I’m Barbara Bush posting here.

5. Javier says

There are some ignorant presumptions in the comments sections. Sexual orientation is not the same as gender expression. Sanjaya is not very masculine, perhaps extremely effeminate for a male. That does not indicate his sexual orientation, which only has to do the sex or sexes he is attracted to. Linking effeminancy with homosexuality is not only antiquated, but also is erroneous.

6. Jonathon says

Count me in as one who is glad that Sanjaya isn’t part of the team. Ditto that he isn’t in the freaking headlines 24/7 now that he’s off the show.

7. myzenart says

Oh come ON! I have absolutely ZERO ‘gaydar,’ and even I can see from a mile away that this kid is gay. He might ‘understand’ women, but I guarantee the idea of having sex with one of them turns his stomach. If it’s a borderline thing, I might understand putting your career ahead of the truth. But if it’s patently obvious, I don’t see the point in denying it.

8. Rad says

Wasn’t he voted Maxim’s “Woman of the Year”?

He will still get the record and concert deals to feather what ever his bed is for a long time. Like whats-his-name and that other one… he’ll be around for a long time.

9. mark m says

It may be trendy to say that straight men can have effeminate mannerisms too, but puhleeeeeeeeease.

Every last one.

10. Zeke says

Yeah, that’s something like the Australian “I don’t know why people keep saying I’m gay” Idol, before he eventually came out.

Sanjaya is just a 17 year old kid though. We should cut him some slack. He didn’t say anything offensive and he seems to be a genuinely nice, untalented young man.

He’ll be fine.

11. John says

While I don’t care if he’s gay or not, its yet another sad statement that he has to be asked that question, as if being gay is such a horrible thing. And, sure he may be “straight,” and “understands” women, but, so do the Claymates, loads of women like asexual men for some reason.

And, just when are his 15 minutes of fame up, what next, speaking about his hair and lack of talent at the UN?

And, please get rid of that walking negative sterotype, Randy “buffon” Jackson.

12. says

I don’t watch American Idol, but yesterday I caught parts of their ‘Idol Gives Back’ special and I felt it was totally unbecoming how the show kept cracking jokes at him. He’s one of your contestants for damn @$$!! It just goes to show how ruthless and vain the premise of AI is, they use and dispense of their candidates at will, and no matter the fact that he’s 17 and brought them a lot of ratings, now they have to act as if he placed himself in the top 24.

In regards to him being gay or not, I don’t care or need him to identify himself one way or the other. The gay community doesn’t “need” anyone…and truth be told, with sexuality there are no blacks and whites, and nobody tells the whole truth..so in the end how you *identify* yourself (no who you truly are) is a CHOICE. So if a male you’re 98% into men, and say you’re straight, who am I to come and say you’re lying? and vice versa. This is so stupid.

I only focus on those people who see value & BEAUTY in identifying with the LGBT genre, and understand the role we can play into making the world a better place..

/rant over.

13. mark says

Why is it that in 2007, being gay is a personality flaw, and requires you to deny it, even if you are straight? The more forward we go, the more backwards, and why is this kid so famous anyway? And, as far as him only being 17, some seem to forget, there are some 17 year olds who are more mature than a 37 year old, and this kid seems to fit that bill, he knows what time it is, and his “people” are making sure of that.

14. Dan E says

Mark M–

It’s not “trendy” to say straight men can have effeminate mannerisms. It’s true. Just as it’s true that gay men can be masculine.

If we’re going to play the anecdotal evidence game, I know at least two effeminite men who are straight. I’m sure you’ll just say that they “haven’t come to terms with their homosexuality yet,” but I’m talking about very evolved, progressive straight men who, if they liked cock, would be happily slurping away. It happens.

If we can’t stop stereotyping ourselves, what hope is there that we can convince the rest of the world to stop stereotyping us?

15. Zeke says

Dan E, I agree, it certainly does happen. I know a couple of feminine straight men myself. One is a VERY close friend and I know 100% that he is 100% straight and 100% comfortable with his sexuality and 100% comfortable with gay people. He often jokes that he and I somehow had our sexualities switched at birth. He is one of THE coolest and one of THE best MEN I have ever known. A lot of uber-masculine men I know could learn a thing or two about what it means to be a man. I know I have learned a lot from him.

I think we as gay people are too quick to perpetuate our own stereotypes. I take GREAT offense when people say, “I can’t believe you’re gay”, or “you don’t look/act gay”. Boy that pisses me off. They think I’ll be flattered but I find those statements to be incredibly ignorant and insulting.

16. says

“Every effeminate boy I went to school with — the ones who always said they were just sensitive and they “understood women” turned out to be a homosexual man.

Every last one.”

So Mark M., your experience is therefore universal and applies to all situations?

17. Labia Minora-Majora says

Give him time, Ladies. He is only 17. I know when I was 17 I was understood women too. Eventually, I wanted to understand men and never went back.

But seriously, being 17, thrown into the media and having your sexuality questioned can’t be that easy. Especially if you are not out to yourself yet. Give ’em a break.

18. mark m says

All poodles are dogs but not all dogs are poodles. I don’t see why this is a problem and I don’t believe that the gay equivalent is a bad thing. Of course it’s possible for a straight man to be effeminate and not gay. I just don’t believe it’s as common as others here maintain.

19. mark m says

20. Dr. Pat says

People, People you are still watching this waste of air time. Singers there are few and far between. Fuck, Simon-everybody has who of course were stoned at the time and he was on the list of last call. Paula, poor thing hasn’t worked in years. Ryan needed a job, thank god Ben Mulroney isn’t on your show, he’s wasting space here in Canada.

21. Finally says

In all the media and magazines, people have been sayin “Sanjaya is gay” and I was like”No he is not” Even people at school say it. Finally now people know Sanjaya is not gay and who cares if he was? He can at least sing. I am a HUGE FANJAYA and I am happy to know now that all Sanjaya haters and the media are wrong. I knew it from the start he was not gay. Thanks for the article.