Mexico | Mexico City | News | Photography | Spencer Tunick

18,000 Bare All for Spencer Tunick in Mexico City

Tunick1
For all our Spencer Tunick coverage, click here.

In Mexico City yesterday, 18,000 people disrobed to be part of photographer Spencer Tunick's latest human installation, in the city's massive Zocalo Square. A "no-fly" zone was established above the historic plaza, rich in cultural and social history: "One of the world's biggest and most imposing squares, the Zocalo is framed by a cathedral, city hall and the National Palace official seat of government, which is adorned with murals by Diego Rivera. A ruined temple next to it was once the center of the Aztec civilization and was used for worship and human sacrifice. Spanish conquistadors used bricks from the temple to help build their own capital."

Tunick2 Tunick3_2

Said one participant to Reuters: "This event proves that really we're not such a conservative society anymore. We're freeing ourselves of taboos." Mexico City recently began registering its first same-sex civil unions since a law was passed legalizing them last November.

Tunick4

You may have missed...
World AIDS Day Premiere: Positively Naked [tr]
Tunick Watch: Naked on the Coast of Spain [tr]
Moons for the Misbegotten [tr]

Comments

1. I think we get his shtick now. He could really impress me by staging one of these things in Baghdad, though.

Posted by: 000000 | May 7, 2007 12:33:13 PM

2. I agree, 000000. The "art" is kinda lost now and it's becoming more and more of a feat of engineering of sorts. The number of people is impressive, but like Cristo, bigger doesn't equal better, or more imaginative. It's an excuse to get naked and say "Oooh yeah! I was THERE!"

Oh hell, I'm a legend in my own mind too.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 7, 2007 12:46:12 PM

3. I agree with you both.
    We get it already. Yawn. What else ya got?

By the way, for a society that is "not so conservative anymore" and "freeing itself of taboos", I find it odd that whenever these stunts are staged, the cameras are always careful not pick up any private parts.

Posted by: soulbrotha | May 7, 2007 12:54:28 PM

4. Honestly, that's kinda gross.

Posted by: Mark | May 7, 2007 12:59:46 PM

5. I might add, that it looks like a bunch of dead pigs.

Posted by: Mark | May 7, 2007 1:01:07 PM

6. Seems like anti-art to me ... a way to show how boring the naked human form can be ... almost as bad as watching the nude walking skeletons in the WWII concentration camps in the newsreel films covering the Allied liberation.

Posted by: AJL | May 8, 2007 5:17:46 PM

7. It's provocative. It's massive. It's been done in multiple squares around western countries.
    Is it art?
    I think it is. It is visually impressive. The mere fact that thousands of people come together to be photographed a certain way. It is art.

I actually like not only the photos but the mere fact that total strangers come together to express themselves that way.

Posted by: romariga | May 12, 2007 1:18:36 PM

8. OOOHHHHH how original.....!!!!!!!

Posted by: frank | May 15, 2007 1:02:45 AM