Gay Slurs | New York | News

Chelsea Reveals its Hateful Underbelly

Chelsea_sign

Towleroad reader Dean Kurth sent us a photo he shot while taking his morning run.

He writes: "As Pride banners are being readied for a month-long display on 8th Avenue in New York's Chelsea district, less than a block away we have this disturbing image. The 'artist' who chalked the word 'faggot' onto this 19th Street billboard clearly wanted to send a message to the neighborhood's many gay residents. The defaced poster hangs just around the corner from several of 9th Avenue's gay owned stores, salons and the ever-popular Billy's bakery."

Some have heard about an increase in gay-related assaults in the area. As Hell's Kitchen becomes the new Chelsea, is Chelsea becoming the old Hell's Kitchen?

ADDENDUM: Commenters note that the ad is a promo for Kyle XY and the sexuality of the show's star, Matt Dallas, has been the subject of speculation. Perhaps a message of backlash against Dallas...

Comments

1. Hey Bryan, I am Gay and Puerto Rican.
    There are some aspects of the both parades that I'm not crazy about. So by your standard I should boycott both.
    Each parade in this city has one special day, they all have agendas and politics and sides. I am gay every day no matter what, but at least I get a parade, two in fact.
    Lucky Me!

Posted by: Robert A | May 31, 2007 11:25:13 PM

2. Is anybody else really, REALLY tired of this blog. Why are people who think this is not newsworthy, interesting, or relevant the "self haters." Heaven forbid we don't agree with every overly sensitive gay guy who feels persecuted EVERYWHERE. Wasn't this in New York f-ing City???? Sorry but if you're living in NY and things like some harmless grafitti require taking a picture of it, sending to a blog, posting on a blog, commenting on the post......People, get over yourselves. Let's at least try not to be the most selfish people on the planet. (yeah I know I just commented but I used to love this blog and read it once a day... I come back much less now and am more disappointed every time... and I bet the traffic has been growing steadily which makes it even worse).

Posted by: Dave | May 31, 2007 11:35:00 PM

3. Hey Dave - here's an idea - start your own f-ing blog if this one doesn't suit your taste.

Posted by: Gregg | May 31, 2007 11:40:05 PM

4. This graffiti is right on the corner where teenagers hang out every morning before school. That section of Ninth Ave. is an interesting mix, as the trendy shops of Chelsea are about a block away from the projects. Seems like the work of stupid teens.

Posted by: Rhyme | Jun 1, 2007 2:19:20 PM

5. Anyone who thinks the pride parade consists of nothing but go-go boys, drag queens and leather daddies, has only seen it on television which always focuses on the more colorful aspects of the parade for obvious reasons. The majority of the parade is small, grassroots political organizations. It's actually pretty boring to watch and I mean that in a good way.

Posted by: Dave J. | Jun 1, 2007 5:38:14 PM

6. Am I the only one who noticed that the torso in the poster does not have a navel? Am I also the only one who noticed that the defacer is dyslexic? While you all bitch about gay pride and self-hatred, a navel-less being (must have been hatched - not born live) is being blatantly promoted while a dyslexic graffiti scrawler is on the loose in Chelsea. If I weren't on Tina right now, I couldn't be bothered to write a thing about this. Why are you?

Posted by: Ron Rico | Jun 1, 2007 6:15:09 PM

7. If we don't fight the homophobes over there, they'll follow us home to Chelsea.

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Jun 1, 2007 6:24:14 PM

8. HE IS GAY. Matt Dallas is a homo and the sign is to inform rather than to comment on the neighborhood or its festivities.

Posted by: J Arthur | Jun 27, 2007 8:04:11 PM