Episcopal Church | James McGreevey | New Jersey | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Report: James McGreevey Taking Steps to be Episcopal Priest

Former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey has begun the process of becoming an Episcopal priest and plans to enter a seminary program this fall, the New Jersey Star-Ledger reports:

Mcgreevey_priest"McGreevey, who often described himself as a devout Catholic while in public office, was officially received into the Episcopal religion on Sunday, at St. Bartholomew's Church in Manhattan, and is now part of the church's 'discernment' phase that usually precedes any seminary work, said the Rev. Kevin Bean, vicar at St. Bartholomew. 'This process that he's in right now, is not going to be some snap of the finger, overnight process. That will not happen. That's not how it works. He knows that,' Bean said. 'And so at the parish level, and at the diocesan level, everyone knows that this is a process that ... intentionally is deliberate. You don't enter into it unadviseably.'"

McGreevey was not available for comment, according to the paper, but friends of McGreevey say the news comes as no surprise.

Said David France, the co-author of McGreevey's memoir: "His spiritual life has always been central to who he is. From the time he was a kid, he thought about going into Catholic seminary a number of times. The idea of going into the Episcopal seminary has been in his mind for at least a couple of years."

Comments

1. That would be a lot to go through all at once.

Posted by: Oy | May 2, 2007 6:12:31 PM

2. (is there someway he can be excommunicated from gay-dom?)

Posted by: Tom | May 2, 2007 6:14:29 PM

3. Oh, "Christ."

Posted by: J'ason D'luv | May 2, 2007 6:19:41 PM

4. Wouldnt he be better suited joining a road company of CATS? He always has the look of someone just dying to burst out in song. And he has the name for it... McGreevey - The Clerical Cat.

Posted by: Chux | May 2, 2007 6:31:30 PM

5. this dude creeps me out.

Posted by: Timothy | May 2, 2007 6:32:17 PM

6. Be Gone, Jim McGreevey, BE GONE !!!!!!

Posted by: kimmer | May 2, 2007 6:34:27 PM

7. Well at least he didn't try to become a Catholic priest.

Posted by: peterparker | May 2, 2007 6:36:57 PM

8. and then....one time, at seminary....I realized....

I AM A JEWISH AMERICAN!

Oy-vay!

Posted by: Ed | May 2, 2007 6:44:31 PM

9. Great. Another priest who can't keep his pants zipped.

Posted by: digger | May 2, 2007 6:47:16 PM

10. ARGH! JUST STOP BEING IN THE NEWS YOU AWFUL PUBLICITY-SEEKING WHORE, YOU ARE LIKE A MIDDLE-AGED PARIS HILTON STOP IT JUST STOP IT JUST STOP IT STOP EXISTING NOW.

Posted by: thin mint | May 2, 2007 6:53:56 PM

11. "His spiritual life has always been central to who he is. From the time he was a kid, he thought about going into Catholic seminary a number of times. The idea of going into the Episcopal seminary has been in his mind for at least a couple of years."

Unless I missed the memo, I thought that ones spiritual life brought you closer to God and ones being, which one would think would be foremost in being honest with yourself and God.

McSleezy has done neither, and it seems he continues down a path of 'dancing as fast as I can'. A term my shrink used often. While I do not think therapy is for everyone, or is an end all to ones problems, it did turn my life around and it would be a start for McSleezy. Afterwards he can then go into the nunnery.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 2, 2007 7:01:10 PM

12. McGreevey – The Clerical Cat... OK, that is funny.

"Are you gay when you're born? Men you need in the dark!
    Dare you look at his thing? Would you sit on his bone?"

OK – I'll stop...

Posted by: Scott | May 2, 2007 7:02:47 PM

13. On one hand I say: this guy needs to spend a few months out in the woods contemplating what he wants to be when he grows the #$%&! up.

And on the other hand I say: why should we care?

There are far more important things going on in the world than what this tool does with his life.

Posted by: Bill | May 2, 2007 7:20:54 PM

14. "And we have the first photos! Actually, just a little imaginary shot we created of future Father Jim."

Andy since when do you use the royal "we" and photoshop pics like that blister on the side of the gay community, Perez Hilton?

This kind of bullying is unlike you.

Posted by: Freddie | May 2, 2007 7:27:53 PM

15. Ick!! That's all I have to say, just, "Ick!"

Posted by: MIKE | May 2, 2007 7:47:53 PM

16. The Catholic clerfy make the news, but there are plenty of screwed-up Protestant clergy and they must be desperate if they want someone this mixed-up joining their seminary. I used to work in mental health and my patients included an Episcopal priest child molester and Southern Baptist minister who was into exposing himself and peeping. Religions seem very willing to invest moral authority in very immature people.

Posted by: Rich | May 2, 2007 7:53:50 PM

17. If I could just put some sort of "ignore" filter on all incoming news on this guy. Please can he just not be in the news anymore! What a moronic attention-whore...

Posted by: Aman-About-Town | May 2, 2007 8:28:17 PM

18. I'd like to propose smaller and/or fewer posts about this egomaniac/embarrassment.

Posted by: Eric | May 2, 2007 9:18:03 PM

19. Oh for the love of GOD, when will this nightmare cease?......**gag** Just when you thought that his being a Professor of Ethics was farce-enough, we get dragged-deeper into his insanity. Somebody make it stop!!

Can the Episcopalians excommunicate him BEFORE he joins? Or a preventive, First-Strike exorcism?

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | May 2, 2007 9:44:56 PM

20. Badly photoshopped picture.

Posted by: Raybob | May 2, 2007 10:20:11 PM

21. can someone tell me about the man,I think he married?..what happens to him?....I could care less about anything else

Posted by: tc | May 2, 2007 11:25:53 PM

22. Episcopal priests can marry. It appears he has some serious psychological problems. He needs lots of counciling.

Posted by: anon | May 2, 2007 11:51:13 PM

23. Father McGreevey. Why am I not surprised?

Posted by: John | May 2, 2007 11:57:00 PM

24. This guy is bonkers . . . really crazy. Obviously he craves the limelight . . . I suggest Bellevue as the next stop. A logical, well balanced and contrite person, after realizing his political and personal fiasco's, would LAY LOW. This guy is sociopathic, and thinks that reinventing himself --- in the harsh light of the media --- is the answer. He's crackers. Does he really think he's qualified to minister to others spiritually??? He was a lightweight, incompetent governor --- his coming out was one ridiculous flail after another --- his divorce and custody battle is pathetic --- the guy is a mess. But, obviously he feels he has another drama to play in, and wants the world to bear witness. Yuck!

Posted by: Richard | May 3, 2007 12:03:28 AM

25. I was about to come in here and hate, but whatever...his life. Strange, though.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | May 3, 2007 12:22:19 AM