American Idol | Blake Lewis | Chris Richardson | I'm Not Gay | Music | News

American Idol Runner-Up Blake Lewis: I'm Not Gay

American Idol runner-up told Arizona radio show Johnjay & Rich that rumors about any kind of relationship with fellow contestant Chris Richardson are not true. He's not dating fellow contestant Jordin Sparks either.

Said Lewis, when asked if he is gay: "Definitely not. No. I'm straight. I'll scream it out loud."

Lewis recently revealed he's busy at work on his new album:

"I’d classify it as electro-funk-soul-pop if you need to label it. I really love the sounds of the ‘80s so I hope to ring some of that back. I’m really inspired by electronic music. It’s on the chopping block because they want it out by Thanksgiving or Christmas. I’ve been working for such a long time writing a lot of songs in different genres. The first album is really a testament of who you are."

You may have missed...
Blake Lewis and Chris Richardson, Together Forever [tr]
American Idol's Blake Lewis Loses His Shirt [tr]
Idol's Chris Richardson and Blake Lewis Get Cozy [tr]

Comments

1. he's heinous anyhow.

Posted by: bigggnasty | Jun 28, 2007 9:55:10 AM

2. I don't know how it is to use that faked photo on the YouTube video.

Posted by: phil | Jun 28, 2007 10:11:53 AM

3. He came off in the interview as not very bright.

Posted by: sam | Jun 28, 2007 10:26:57 AM

4. "I'll scream it outloud" ... lol

Yeah, whatever, Blake

Posted by: ck | Jun 28, 2007 10:42:58 AM

5. I think the way you quoted Blake in this article is a bit unfair and makes him sound slightly homophobic. He initially answered the "gay" question with a simple "no" and basically blew it off. But the interviewers kept harping on it and asking the question over and over. When Blake finally said that he would "scream" his straightness out loud, it was after repeating himself several times,and even then he made it into a bit of a joke.

I say 'bravo' to Blake - gay or straight, I still love his pants!

Posted by: Gregg | Jun 28, 2007 10:47:08 AM

6. Not cute. Not talented.

Straight? Not surprised.

Posted by: Jonathon | Jun 28, 2007 11:06:19 AM

7. Wow, an album using sounds from the 80s? What an innovative idea.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 28, 2007 11:11:07 AM

8. Yeah, and the Pope isn't a Nazi.

Posted by: ladyd | Jun 28, 2007 11:19:52 AM

9. "I’d classify it as electro-funk-soul-pop"
    then i guess you don't even have to listen to it to classify it as crap.

Posted by: maxi | Jun 28, 2007 11:21:49 AM

10. Love him.

And actually Gregoire, sounds from the 80's are very popular right now in pop music. Just listen to Timbaland or anything he's producing. But Timbaland is just copying the underground house movement of Electro that has been around for a few years now.

Posted by: mark m | Jun 28, 2007 11:42:40 AM

11. Who is that other AI second place finisher that's also not gay? Oh yea, Clay Aiken.

Posted by: Chad | Jun 28, 2007 11:48:54 AM

12. Do straight men really scream too? O dear...

Posted by: Joe Santos | Jun 28, 2007 12:17:49 PM

13. Personally i have no idea who the guy is but what is the point of posting that photoshopped picture again? Real life isn't good enough for you?

Posted by: yoshi | Jun 28, 2007 12:24:31 PM

14. No more CAKE?? Awwwww....

He sounded like he'd rather be at the dentist than answer their questions.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 28, 2007 12:37:31 PM

15. What a scream.

Posted by: Frank L | Jun 28, 2007 2:12:26 PM

16. What a scream is right. Boy did he seem oh so eager to scream he was straight... well, whatever, why do we care about him anyway? Where are the hot young gay pop stars in America?

Posted by: juliana | Jun 28, 2007 2:46:25 PM

17. clay and mika aren't gay either.. oh and usher... and neither was elton for many many years.
    i'm so sick of this crap.

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 28, 2007 4:32:22 PM

18. He's gay for pay.

Posted by: Rockie | Jun 28, 2007 6:05:20 PM

19. I don't care for him, but I'll give him a pass on this. I mean, at this point, if he ever wants to date a girl, he WILL need to establish himself as straight. He's been pretty tolerant about the whole slashing thing, even writing "Cake forever!" on an autograph.

Posted by: karashi | Jun 28, 2007 9:44:05 PM

20. I'm sorry, maybe it was me, but he came off as a COMPLETE pompous snob throughout this entire radio interview and it had very little to do with his defensive brushing off of the gay label.

I'm actually quite surprised how easy you all let him get off considering his one worded responses and snooty tone. He sounded like the last thing he wanted to do was be talking to a radio station (which by now, ofcourse, is so beneath him) and talking for us...his subjects. What a departure from the smile ear to ear, outgoing practiculy on his knees begging for our votes, doing cartwheels Blake that put on his showboat face on A.I. As usual, all an act, all a ploy.

What's more surprising ...which isn't mentioned here yet either...is his "gay impersinations" over this radio interview. Everytime the words "gay" were refrenced...Blake went into this fake, high squeeky pitched, lispy, overtly flamboyent tone of voice impersonating a stereotypical gay guy yet the irony falls in the fact that most of the world thinks he's gay..so when he's mocking "gay" mannerisms...clearly he inhibits many of it seeing how most think he's effimine.
    This interview was annoying, repulsive and dense at best. Not because of the disc jockeys, but because of the person being interviewed.

Posted by: Stargazer | Jun 29, 2007 2:29:56 AM

21. Damn he might be straight, but if you listen to this interview, he sounds VERY gay. I bet he even confuses his boyfriend.

Posted by: TH | Jun 29, 2007 10:16:07 AM

22. "its not a big deal, everyone gay these days"

"yeah, everyones gay & HAPPY!! YAY"

lmfao.