Great Britain | Television | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

For the Dream Chasers Out There: Britain's Got Talent

A young kid named Craig from Britain's Got Talent shows 'em what baton twirling is all about, and an opera singer who works at Car Phone Warehouse hits it out of the park.

Comments

1. That opera singer HAS talent. Damn. That was good. And good for him!

Posted by: Jefferson | Jun 12, 2007 9:32:04 AM

2. could hardly see much of the baton performance as the camera kept cutting away to judges and audience... Britain may have talent, but they also have terrible editing.

Posted by: A.J. | Jun 12, 2007 9:43:09 AM

3. Thank you for posting those. They almost made me cry... not sure why. I guess there is just so much negative everyday that it's nice to see someone excel.... Thanks-

Posted by: Greg | Jun 12, 2007 10:15:18 AM

4. Oh my god, somebody get me a Premarin it must be THAT time of the month.

I'm not usually a crier but BOTH of those clips had me crying almost hysterically.

I don't know why they affected me so deeply.

Perhaps I've hit menopause in my 40th year of life and my hormones have gone haywire. Perhaps I, like the Grinch or the Tin Man, have finally gotten or grown a bigger heart; or perhaps both of these guys were INCREDIBLY inspirational to me, each for VERY different reasons.

I sincerely hope it's the latter.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 12, 2007 10:24:55 AM

5. That was wonderful...I was thrilled (and surprised) for both of them.The baton twirler had chosen the perfect song to compliment his act(by Queen no less!!!.....hmmmmm)

Posted by: Nikko | Jun 12, 2007 11:00:39 AM

6. That opera singer's voice has the force to draw the deepest emotions out of a person. Could hardly control my tears...

Posted by: medron | Jun 12, 2007 11:04:40 AM

7. Thank you for starting my day in such a heart felt way. Watching Craig, a young man following his dreams, with his proud grandmother there to support him, brought tears to my eyes. And what an amazing performance!

And then seeing Paul, struggling with his self-confidence, stand and deliver his opera with such a beautiful voice. And both to the audience's standing ovation.

I love to see people follow their hearts and succeed.

Posted by: Kerry | Jun 12, 2007 11:06:58 AM

8. Thank you for starting my day in such a heart felt way. Watching Craig, a young man following his dreams, with his proud grandmother there to support him, brought tears to my eyes. And what an amazing performance!

I love to see people follow their hearts and succeed.

Posted by: Kerry | Jun 12, 2007 11:07:46 AM

9. Aw.

Aw.

Aw.

Sigh.

Posted by: David | Jun 12, 2007 11:12:16 AM

10. Sorry guys, but that "Nessun Dorma" was really ham fisted. He may be a belter, but musically that was a mess.

Posted by: busytimmy | Jun 12, 2007 11:34:43 AM

11. and some are critical ice queens that never see the good in anything...right David?

Posted by: Jombi | Jun 12, 2007 12:02:05 PM

12. ooops! busytimmy!
    so busy finding others flaws...sigh!

Posted by: jombi | Jun 12, 2007 12:03:53 PM

13. This is a talent competition, righ? Simon said that he liked to find the unexpected in the contestants? Both performances gave me goosebumps and were totally unexpected. The one boy with his grandma and family story with Bruce-Lee-like moves and the Joe with the boring job and the big voice? Amateur? Most probably. Common? Nope.

Posted by: xavier | Jun 12, 2007 12:14:15 PM

14. OK I know I'm a bitch but the baton-twirler made my skin crawl and as for the opera singer, kudos to him for getting up there and going for it in spite of his obvious shyness, but it was bloody awful. I hate the way these shows give people false hope that they're going to be big stars. For anybody who hasn't seen this show, many of the performers clearly have some kind of learning disability and end up being laughed at by the audience and the judges. I literally can't watch it, it makes me so uncomfortable. I don't think it should be allowed on TV.

Posted by: PaulH | Jun 12, 2007 2:51:49 PM

15. Talent aside, when I saw "Baton Twirling" and "Britain's Got Talent" I could only think of paraphrasing Monty Python:

"Baton Twirling!? Baton Twirling? Let me 'ell you! In my day we had to juggle firebreathing dragons standing on red-hot spikes during an earthquake! That's what 'e had to do! So don't 'ell 'e anything about batons 'r twirling young man! I say!"

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 12, 2007 2:57:46 PM

16. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Simply wonderful and good for both of them.

I liked watching that smug look on the judges face, when he said he was going to sing opera, melt away to pure joy!

Posted by: Rick | Jun 12, 2007 4:00:02 PM

17. Why, why, why am I crying?!!!! I never cry!!!

Posted by: lkate78 | Jun 12, 2007 4:29:18 PM

18. The baton twirling clip was one of the sweetest and more heart-warming things I have ever seen.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 12, 2007 7:29:43 PM

19. Some follow-up info on both:

Posted by: Mike | Jun 12, 2007 10:56:22 PM

20. Beautiful. The baton boy was incredible and the opera singer amazing. I was in tears also and Zeke, I'm a guy, so I think it was something more than menopause or that-time-of-the-month. It's good to see the underdog leap above the heads of everyone observing and fly for a while.

David, you're wrong. I'm a singer with a damn good ear and while there was one "little" spot with the vocalist being flat, the rest was near perfection and you must know that emotion in a song trumps any slightly flat note.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 12, 2007 11:31:18 PM

21. Very positive message, very impressive performances. Made my day and yes: it's good to see people risking it all and living their dreams.

Posted by: Francoism | Jun 13, 2007 9:54:51 PM

22. The opera singer had me in tears. I was really surprised in spite of myself. There really is something so compelling and gut-wrenching about a true opera singer's voice. I watched it twice and cried again the second time!

Posted by: Arie | Jun 14, 2007 2:11:26 AM