Towleroad Guide to the Tube #145

RUFUS WAINWRIGHT: His appearance on Canada’s The Hour, with George Stroumboulopoulos.

ERIC SCHMIDT: The CEO of Google speaks with Pat Mitchell, President and CEO of the Paley Center for Media, at the World Economic Forum on June 13, 2007, and eventually shows off his iPhone.

MADONNA: The official video for her Live Earth track “Hey You”.

BEEFCAKE: Footage from AllAmericanGuys set to Rihanna’s “Umbrella”.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here!

Comments

1. vadge says

Dear God, that is the worst Madonna song ever. And could she sing more out of tune if she tried?

2. Br!on says

HAHAHA Vadge… I didn’t know what was worse. Her or Rufus whining through his nose about being the greatest thing on earth.

3. leo says

i used to think madge would be like the Grateful Dead and play forever. Now i will just be greatful when she is dead. that song stunk. the all american boys were hot to look at, but i cannot help but think steriods=small cock and balls.

4. damien says

Madonna: She’s grown very stale in the last few years. She’s still a little too classy to set up shop in Vegas, but I’d start considering it, if I were her. Either that or just retire altogether.

iPhone: I like the look of the thing, but I’m TOTALLY getting iPhone Fatigue from being hit over the head with news about it every day… and it’s not even available yet!

5. Felix says

But all you queens went to her last tour just to make her the Forbes #3 top entertainer. 😛 Sorry madonna fan over here

6. peterparker says

“I’ve always wanted to work on The Continent.” OMG, Rufus is insufferably pretentious. Not to mention arrogant. And those hands…honey, you need to SIT on those hands otherwise you *are* going to be confused with Judy Garland.

And is it just me or did he seem mildly drunk in that interview?

7. Cory says

I don’t know what’s sadder, the humanity’s arrogance, greed and selfishness in destroying the planet or the fact that the comments indicate people are more interested in tearing someone down who is trying to bring attention to a very serious issue. Everyone overlooked the meaning of the song and instead chose to personally attack and rip Madonna apart.. I’m sure Felix is right too, but sadly Kathy Griffin is wrong, gay man don’t “bond”, they would rather tear each other (and others) down. So sad, so very sad.

8. marks says

The irony of Kathy Griffin’s comment on gay men and the same tired vitriol towards Madonna is (and I’ll quote Cory, if I may),
    So sad, so very sad.

Learn much, much?

9. Mike in the Tundra says

I would love to have the waxing concession for AllAmericanGuys. All that smoothness is just unnatural.

10. Ridwah says

Madonna’s new song reminds me of “Dear Jesse” from Like a Prayer. Just less energetic. I’m a big fan and while I agree, it’s not one of her better songs I appreciate what she’s trying to do.

And the fact that someone would say that they’ll be grateful when she’s dead because the song “stinks”? Wow. Just, wow.

11. the other jeff says

Oh, how much hotter those guys would be if they had chest hair! Not one body hair in the lot of ’em.

12. marks says

Okay, I actually finally watched the video for ‘Hey You’ and now I am just plain pissed off!

Who cares who sung it? Wrote it? The tune? What in the fuck is wrong with you?

Why don’t you think about the fucking point of the fucking video?

Our world. Our planet. Our animals. Our people.

Honestly guys, you watch a tiger shot for no reason, a killer whale ensnared in nets, children suffering from poverty and disease, raging fires and flood – I could go on… and want reply with “stale” and “off key” and “hate her”.

Sick.

(and I apologize immediately for swearing and such – for some reason, I now think I need to just be a better person)

13. Cory says

Marks: The irony is thick, isn’t it. I just read your latest comment, I was REALLY pissed off by the comments as well, and incredibly disheartened. Are gay men really that shallow? Shame. For a group trying to achieve tolerance and acceptance, gay men can sometimes be the most intolerant and nasty. The video really made be sad, the imagery was powerful and gave the song much more meaning.

14. michael says

“Hey you” is definetely not one of her best, but it’s pretty, and I like it for what it is. Madonna haters (Vadge), couldn’t be more predictable and boring if they tried.

Madonna is so far away from “retiring”, and why should she when she’still breaking tour records and selling millions of albums?

Fags are so fickle.

15. marks says

Ya Cory, truly saddened with my ilk this evening.

Courtesy of Andy today (while I’m at the office – ahem). I watched the video of Life Interupted. And cried some. Very powerful stuff. And then I had a nice self-satisfaction proud moment reading Kathy Griffin’s comment – kinda nice actually. And then I read some really unnecessary comments about someone named Madonna. After that I watched the video for a song, Hey You, with some disturbing imagery regarding our planet and people. Life. And cried some more.

I’m not sure we actually “get it”.

Thank you Andy though – very thought provoking!

16. Felix says

Sorry for calling you guys names b4. The truth is that gay men do not support each other as we should. I live in Mexico and the situation here is even worse. big hug to everyone.

17. atheist says

Yes Madge is tired. I don’t really need to be reminded by her or any other celebs about the global fuck-up; I have been banging on about it for a while now.

The allamercian guys are almost too damn beautiful; body hair would send it through the roof…but hey, I shouldn’t complain..

18. Br!on says

Seriously? I mean I’ve watched the entire BLue Planet series. Awe inspiring. A l Gore’s film and give to Greenpeace and have sailed the ocean researching and helping the coral reefs.

Loving Madonna has never been my schtick. And constantly hearing her without a break for 20 years to tell the truth has put me off her even more. But what really bothers me is the constant support she receives for even the most dreadful song she sings just because she is Madonna. Get out and listen to some new music by some new artists and see that the entire universe isn’t made up of the one woman.

Try Bat for Lashes from England. Bertine Zetlitz from Norway for truly inspired pop, if you want to cry from beauty then get Zoe Johnston’s masterpiece Happenstances.

Just stop with the Madonna for one minute and look outside the M section. When you have, come back an tell me how great this song is…

19. jj says

madonna! madonna! madonna! keep it comming. anything that has to do with the greatest artist of the last 25 years is greatly appreciated. i feel sorry for all the jelous queens, but for all those out there who can truly recognize pure, perfect art she is the real deal, the pinnacle. muchas gracias Andy. btw beuatiful, thoughtful ballad

20. Cory says

Br!on:I listen to many artists, and I’m not a huge fan of Madonna’s. The point I believe I (as well as a few others) was attempting to make was the immediate negativity and nastiness gay men throw out instead of seeing the good in something and someone. This current example of the Towleroad commentators slamming a celebrity with nasty comments such as “Vadge”, “she should die”, etc. for using their fame and talent for a good cause was highly ironic as it was followed by the news of Kathy Griffin praising the gay community for coming together and having a strong bond. With all due respect, watching a few shows and a movie doesn’t compare with a celebrity such as Madonna donating her time and money to fund a cause, as all of the proceeds for that song (as well as her many other charitable causes) will go directly to bettering the planet.

Again, how about some positivity instead of the mean spiritedness people? Is it really that hard to put the human back in humane?

21. Inshock says

Christ, gay men are a shallow lot aren’t they? Your comments are pathetic and degrading to one another. Take a good long hard look in the mirror and if you truly like what you see you need to look again.

22. says

Hey You! is a wasted opportunity.
    i like madonna as much as the next gayguy… she’s amazing when she achieves genius… but when she bombs it’s atomic (die another day).
    as much as Hey You has an important message and function, the song lyrics and video are simplistic and cliché. i respect her work, and esp applaud her concern for African crisis… but with all her power she could do so much more than that halfass ditty. the gravity of the message is huge, but anyone who isn’t already aware and concerned has been dead asleep for the last two decades. a huge message deserves not only a huge talent like madonna, but it also deserves her best effort and resources. madonna rules, but that freebie is never going to hit the mark it needs to raise the issue to a higher level or sell the upcoming concerts.

23. soulbrotha says

That All American video is just so great! A muscle video of 99.9999 hairless white men, a BLINK shot of ONE black man and NO other ethnic representation!
    Yep, you can’t get more “all American” than that!

24. riem says

yes hey you as a song isn’t exactly an instant classic and yes madonna ain’t what she used to be bt what she is now, I got a good look at in rome last summer and she is absolutely THE BUSINESS. the video certainly makes its point and is beautifully edited.

25. Londoner says

Ditto what AJ said: A fine testimony to steroid-enhanced racial purity. I feel like I’ve been slapped in the face with white bread for five minutes.

26. Zeke says

The Madonna Video was MAGNIFICENT!

I’ve never been a huge Madonna fan but I loved, loved, loved that song and video. Maybe I’ll have to give her another look.