Fire Island | New York | News | Nightlife

BigGayDeal.com

Fire Island: Constructions of a Dancefloor

Pinesparty

I'm blogging today from Fire Island where we're experiencing intermittent torrential downpours. The inclement weather hasn't stopped crews from beginning construction on the dancefloor for next weekend's annual Pines Party benefit, which is apparently taking place directly in front of the house where I am staying. It should be interesting watching this take shape, as the ocean is already encroaching upon their work.

Sunset1

On Saturday, before the bad weather hit, we were treated to a fairly breathtaking sunset, which I now share with you.

Sunset2_2

You may have missed...
Fire Island: L'il Slice O' Nature [tr]
Weekend Filmstrip [tr]

Comments

1. Damn that global warming for making the seas rise to wash away part of the dance floor, but they are wonderful shots.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 23, 2007 1:03:23 PM

2. what kind of footprint does a party like that leave?

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 23, 2007 1:48:38 PM

3. If we're lucky, maybe the high seas will wash away Citarella.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 23, 2007 2:43:09 PM

4. I was go to ask any trips to p-town but more importantly why is Ann Coulter advertising on your site there is a ad rite below the comment field ???

Posted by: Jim | Jul 23, 2007 2:56:23 PM

5. ugh - sorry, we've been trying to get rid of those damn Coulter ads.

Posted by: andy | Jul 23, 2007 3:09:24 PM

6. Does anyone know what the thinking was behind the Pavilion redo? What WERE they thinking? They took away what made high tea special...being outdoors overlooking the harbor. They took an already over crowded dance space and cut it in size by at least 1/3. They missed a perfect opportunity to give it more of a town feel and bring in diverse businesses and instead leased to another market..which by the way no one is shopping at. They took away the gym in a community of gay men....this seems like it should have been the recipe for what NOT to do in the Pines. And by the way...I will bet anything that what they are loosing on the cover(that they can no longer charge) for Pavilion is much more than the rent being paid by Fresh Market.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 23, 2007 8:19:56 PM

7. b-e-a-utiful!

Posted by: chris | Jul 24, 2007 10:26:35 AM

8. Agreed, Mike. The new pavilion is a DISASTER. The food at Fresh Market is anything but fresh plus their prices are higher than The Pantry's), and the building has no character or charm whatsoever.

There's no question that the Pines needed sprucing up (ha ha), but they're going about it all wrong. And to think, they now plan to tear down Bay Bar, the realty, liquor and flower shop and put a "shopping mall" in. If the rest of this development is half as hideous as the new Pavilion, the center of town will officially be destroyed.

Tony and Eric - you fucked up - big time.

Posted by: A | Jul 24, 2007 12:03:47 PM

9. What? They're tearing down the center of town? Who are these lunatics? With all the creative people in New York, how did we end up with these losers?

Posted by: Paul | Jul 24, 2007 1:32:18 PM

10. Wow, first time seeing this site and guys you could not have said it better. Altough we all agree town needed sprucing up, I think most would agree we did not need massive wood boxes and a potnetial mall. And let me make something clear, there is no lease... the food market etc.. is all part of the same owner.. you know who.. pavalion..etc.. once "they" kick the realtor and liquer store owners out.. they will take over that space.. there is no leasing. They want it all!! I agree the Citrella like market is horrible and I refuse to shop there. Hope most residents, both owners and renters spread the word to their shares, friends potential rentals to suppor the people in the community that care about the community and not just their bank accounts!

Posted by: PJM | Jul 24, 2007 2:55:54 PM

11. My name is Robert and I am a Fire Island Virgin. I missed out on the original Fire Island and my freinds tell me that I am not missing anything with the new one. From the comments I read here it sounds like they may be right, but I still want to go anyway.
    Should I stay or should I go?

Posted by: Robert Alan | Jul 25, 2007 1:38:10 PM

12. mall?????? can someone pleeeese remind them that we leave the city to go to the BEACH and the pines should feel like the BEACH.

Posted by: mike | Jul 25, 2007 7:07:56 PM

13. As a Cherry Grove resident, these comments tempt me to cackle like an old witch. There has always been this parallel (to me at least) between the Pines/Chelsea and the Grove/East Village. I always prepered the artsy funk of the Grove, where I always feel appropriately dressed, even when I'm wearing an afro wig and a cockring! But viewed from afar, I had always wished we had a civic planner in the Grove who could shape the downtown area and lift the tone of the Grove a bit. After hearing the venomous anger expressed here it makes me careful what I wish for. What I like about Fire Island is NOT feeling someone turning me upside down and shaking out my pockets once I get there. Come to the Grove boys; where you can let your hair down. But shop at the pines pantry before you come, our grocery store is strictly chips and beer.

Posted by: parick | Jul 31, 2007 7:16:04 AM

14. As a Cherry Grove resident, these comments tempt me to cackle like an old witch. There has always been this parallel (to me at least) between the Pines/Chelsea and the Grove/East Village. I always prepered the artsy funk of the Grove, where I always feel appropriately dressed, even when I'm wearing an afro wig and a cockring! But viewed from afar, I had always wished we had a civic planner in the Grove who could shape the downtown area and lift the tone of the Grove a bit. After hearing the venomous anger expressed here it makes me careful what I wish for. What I like about Fire Island is NOT feeling someone turning me upside down and shaking out my pockets once I get there. Come to the Grove boys; where you can let your hair down. But shop at the pines pantry before you come, our grocery store is strictly chips and beer.

Posted by: parick | Jul 31, 2007 7:17:18 AM