News | Tammy Faye Messner

BigGayDeal.com

A Few Moments: Tammy Faye Messner on Larry King Live

"You know when we lost everything, it was the gay people who came to my rescue and I will always love them for that."

A few highlights from Tammy Faye Messner's appearance last night on Larry King Live. Not a lot more to be said, other than...Godspeed.

You may have missed...
Tammy Faye Stops Cancer Treatments [tr]

Comments

1. How grotesque...and sad. I'm sure Tammy Faye will get into heaven, but I have a feeling God may still have a few questions for her about the terrible pain the PTL Club caused to thousands of true believers who were duped into dumping their savings into the Bakker's financial scams. I've never quite bought into Tammy Faye's claims of ignorance about all that.

Posted by: don | Jul 20, 2007 9:41:11 AM

2. I agree Don. I've never bought that completely either.

That being said.

Everyone has to be worthy of forgiveness. Not that it is an easy thing to do, to forgive. But in this case, it is pretty easy for me.

Will she have things to answer for? Sure. We all will. (If you have that belief system) I hope she gets the same consideration for forgiveness as I hope for myself.

Posted by: Darren | Jul 20, 2007 9:52:24 AM

3. God bless you Tammy Faye my Sister.

I wish you peace, comfort and joy now and hereafter.

And God bless Jay, a man that clearly got his inclusive, nonjudgmental spiritual understanding from his Mother. I've spoken with Jay a number of times over the last three years and can say, without hesitation or reservation, that he is a kind, loving and compassionate man that Tammy Faye can be very proud of.

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 20, 2007 10:30:18 AM

4. I've had my doubts about her sincerity with regard to PTL but based on what I've learned both in print and in talking with my partner whose father is a pentecostal preacher and who had Jim & Tammy Faye over for dinner from time to time, she really seems like one of those naive, optimistic types who gives people the benefit of the doubt and might not have recognized what really was going on.

And Jay is just amazing. He's setting a wonderful example for myriad folks who are looking for something and find their way to Christianity. From what I understand, his church could really use some support. Ever since he publicly embraced gay marriage, he has lost a number of his congregation.

Posted by: Rey | Jul 20, 2007 10:38:16 AM

5. I think she came to her senses a while back when her and JM Bullock began working together. It's nice to hear a Christian being greatful to the gay population, for once. It's a shame that her message will be lost on the rest of the ignorant herd.

Cancer is a horrible disease. No one should have to be subject to its ravages. To the "slash and burn" treatment. But it is here, and actually in all of us, just waiting for the right environment or catalyst to emerge from dormancy. I look to the courage of Tammy and the millions like her who are standing up and saying "My time is over, but if I can get a message out to the rest of you to act NOW", rather than just withering away in silent pain.

Mammograms, prostate exams, simple blood tests, people. Their message is simple; "Put your modesty aside and get checked!".

Posted by: Rad | Jul 20, 2007 10:50:03 AM

6. For godsake, could we please put our cynicism and bitterness over what the woman may or may not have done in the 80s aside for one moment? She is dying, and I think it's a testament to her indomitable spirit that a woman known for, more than anything else, her appearance, would go on national television at this last stage of her life. She has made it her life's business to let go of the past and to hold on to her optimism. I suggest we learn to do the same.

Posted by: Acolyte | Jul 20, 2007 11:19:51 AM

7. Saw that interview last night - I cried for her (and then I cried for Larry King). She really makes you want to believe...

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 20, 2007 11:43:53 AM

8. She's hideous looking, she knows it, and she still went on TV. For a woman who clearly has her own views of what looks good, that is a monumental thing to do.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 20, 2007 12:01:29 PM

9. Who's Jay? How was she "rescued" by gay men? I think she probably always knew about her husband and married him anyway. Maybe she like it that way. I'm guessing her mania covered up a lot of anxiety and panic over the years too.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 20, 2007 12:54:39 PM

10. At first, I kept thinking, “Sure, she always wore too much makeup but this is terrible, probably because she was too weak to do any better or her vision is so far gone she didn’t realize it, but why didn’t she let someone else do it?” Then I remembered the last days of my friend, Leonard Matlovich [who was the first to publicly fight the ban on gays in the military].

It was 1988. AIDS had reduced him, as it and cancer does so many, to a shell. Normally gregarious and loving conversation, he had taken to sitting with his eyes closed, totally silent unless someone asked him a question, to which his response would be as brief as possible. He had still been trying to eat but would start vomiting within a few bites. Initially a fighter against his disease and government inaction, with arrests for civil disobedience at the Federal Building in San Francisco and in front of the Reagan White House, he had just been released from the hospital after being treated for dehydration, told time was short, and was now refusing all medication, even pain pills for fear we would try to give him something instead that might prolong his life.

Then he stopped trying to get out of bed except to go to the bathroom where he passed what seemed like quarts of dark blood, evidence of the Kaposi’s doctors said were permeating his intestines. Then there came the day he was having trouble standing again to try to make it back to bed from the bathroom. As he had collapsed on the floor the previous time he’d tried to do it on his own, just minutes before his parents arrived to see their skeletal son in a naked heap on the floor, I somehow managed to lift him on my shoulders and with the help of a friend balancing us got him back to bed where he died a few days later.

That was what struck me about Tammy’s grotesque appearance. My guess is that, just as Leonard’s effort to hold onto one last symbol of independence was important to him, of control over something when he had lost control of his very life, her doing her own makeup was important to her. Trivial, sure. But far less important than what she said, just as what Mat had said in his last public appearance, at a gay rights demonstration in the rain in Sacramento only a few weeks before. “Those of us who have AIDS have a message for the world. The message is, Love! Love! Love!!!”

Posted by: Michael | Jul 20, 2007 1:31:26 PM

11. Anon(gmail.com) if you don't know who Jay is, you have no business casting judgments on a person you know nothing about.

Retract your claws, dear. Save them for a real enemy.

Posted by: mark m | Jul 20, 2007 1:33:45 PM

12. Thanks for the clips Andy. I couldn't bring myself to watch any more of the program, it was too sad.

And my thoughts too Acolyte, great post. As if no one on here has made mistakes in their lives.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 20, 2007 6:20:56 PM

13. Regardless of all the possible 'problems unsolved' of her past, this interview really moved me.

I hope that I will have such strength when I realize that it is my time to go.

I don't consider myself religious, but I hope this woman will find peace where-ever she's going.

Posted by: Mars | Jul 21, 2007 7:49:18 AM

14. Tammy died today. May God bless her.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 22, 2007 12:41:02 AM

15. She seems like such a sweet and caring person, and for her to still have such strong faith, even at this dark hour, is inspiring I guess to some people. I wish it could be to me, but I find it sad, because it just reminds me of how could any loving God let this and other suffering and unspeakable evil happen in the first place?

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 22, 2007 1:09:23 AM

16. Sorry. Just saw that she passed. At least she's out of her suffering, but I still feel the same way. Why have God when it seems that either nothing is there or worse....Lucifer rules?

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 22, 2007 1:14:17 AM

17. She transformed herself into an unselfish, loving, concerned person. We could use a lot more like her.

Posted by: zenrain | Jul 22, 2007 1:22:21 PM

18. After seeing "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" a few years back I gained a strong respect and love for her. She went from very humble beginnings to great fame to hitting rock bottom and all for the public to see. She had strong faith and did not judge others even when she herself was being judged. She leaves behind a legacy of love and compassion that I feel we can all learn from. I know many people did not like her. I will miss her greatly and will always remember her fondly.

Posted by: Sal | Jul 25, 2007 3:41:50 AM