Isaiah Washington Grateful for Second Chances

Isaiah Washington talked to the Associated Press about his upcoming extended guest star role on the new fall show Bionic Woman:

Isaiahw“I’m humbled by this opportunity. What I always wanted to put at the forefront is my creativity, that thing I want to do, which is act…If there are issues with other actors (he is referring to a tiff about cast tardiness with Patrick Dempsey that he says began the whole incident), it’s not my problem. I’m not a hero, babysitter, big brother. I’m the employee, too.”

And NBC’s Ben Silverman recalled his decision to hire the actor following his firing: “[I thought] ‘Gosh, it would great to get him, get a great actor on our air.’ It’s like A-Rod leaving the Yankees in midseason…I really thought about him as an actor. I feel like he’s a wonderful actor and everyone deserves a second chance.”

Comments

1. Cory says

Something about this man makes me as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. He has this calmness about him that seems uneasy, and there’s something behind those eyes that just says “Say one thing wrong, one thing, and I’ll come after you, your family, the house your family lives in, the builder of your family’s house…” Washington already has a history of physical and emotional abuse (as noted in the press, he physically attacked a female costar on “Soul Food”, as well as going after its director, the “Grey’s Anatomy” incidents), so if this show wants to deal with him, so be it. Good luck. I won’t be tuning in to watch “Bionic Woman” meets “Bionic Mouth”. I’m done with this guy, he’s nothing to me, and will never be anything other than a psychopath and a hot head. Moving on…

2. BeeDee says

Just another reason to NOT watch NBC. If it wasn’t for The Office, it would never be on my television.

The buzz in town on Bionic Woman is so largely negative, I think it’s just what Washington deserves – another career failure.

But, Washington will still be getting a Vangard award from GLAAD, right?

3. Garrett says

Big mistake for NBC on this one. The Bionic Woman has a huge chance to pull a large gay audience … as the original did. This could be enough to make many of us turn away.

I really don’t think they want to give us a reason not to watch.

4. John says

“Oh I am SO sick of this creep! I don’t care if he’s playing the title role in “The Bionic Woman” — I won’t watch ANYTHING he’s on.”

Just remember, refusing to watch Isaiah is “racism.”

5. james says

Am i to believe that the head of NBC could not find another talented actor who hadn’t repeatedly uttered homophobic slurs? And give me a break, how much talent is required to act in The Bionic Woman. I’m willing to bet that if NBC decided to give Don Imus a “second chance” that they would have a boycott on their hands.

6. mark m says

Andy, I know you like to cover a story through to the end, but are we really going to have to read about every job Washington applies for in the coming weeks/months?

In my opinion, this is a dead horse, unless of course, he makes another homophobic remark.

7. woodroad34 says

Having worked at NBC in the past, it doesn’t surprise me they would hire Isaiah. It is one of the cruelist places to work. I’m so happy they are in last place. I left when they started in on the reality series kick and Frasier and Will & Grace ended. You’ll notice there hasn’t been a real gay presence on that network since. When I worked there, they wouldn’t even advertise in gay publications for Will & Grace. They felt we would watch it anyways and they didn’t need to cultivate us.

8. Wayne says

Does the guy deserve another chance, sure…no problem with that. But is he a good actor? Seriously, he was a member of an ensemble cast of a night-time soap opera! And now he’s joining the Bionic Woman…who cares!

Have you seen MadTV’s version of Grey’s Anatomy?? Bobby Lee as Sandrah Oh!! It’s hysterical!

You’re giving him, and NBC, power by spending so much time and energy bashing them. Forget about them, ignore them, and go do something important with your time.

9. michael says

It’s become abundantly clear that there is absolutely NOTHING Isaiah can ever do to make up for calling T.R Knight a “faggot”. He’s clearly the most evil homophobe who ever existed. zzzz

I wasn’t really interested in the new bionic woman series, but now that Isaiah is involved, I will most definetely be watching.

I hope the show is a huge hit “heroes” style.

10. noah says

JLS’s comment says a lot about the reality of the “gay community”: bigotry is alive and well.

What excuse is there for that kind of language? Washington’s a jerk; so it’s okay to use racist terminology?

11. Cory says

Wayne: I LOVE MadTV’s version of Grey’s. The first time I watched Bobby Lee as Sandra Oh I peed myself laughing. I loved the first one, when that background song kept going “I’m sorry, sooo sorry” and every scene with Bobby Lee ended in tears and hysteria. LMAO. I think the audience didn’t appreciate it as much as we did. =)

12. Reality Check says

Oh GOD MICHAEL, you keep bringing up that the people who have an issue with IW are racist. GIVE IT A REST. The comments that were “racist” were in regards to YOUR ridiculous accusations on this blog, merely poking fun at your paranoia. I’m not racist, I have no problem with other various different than my own, and my comments on IW are merely a reflection of his homophobia and HIS constant need to be a martyr, as it seems apparent with you as well.

13. JLS says

What excuse is there to call anyone a faggot?

14. Derrick from Philly says

“What excuse is there to call someone a faggot?”

Why, when they call me a nigger, JLS. But being called a nigger doesn’t bother me unless it was Edward Kennedy who done it. That would hurt. All the others who call me that word are what Mammy called them in “Gone With The Wind” when she was talking about the ex-overseer at Tara, “that white trash…,” she said. I loved Mammy, JLS, don’t you?

15. scientitian says

“It’s become abundantly clear that there is absolutely NOTHING Isaiah can ever do to make up for calling T.R Knight a “faggot”. He’s clearly the most evil homophobe who ever existed. ”

What exactly has he done thus far that leads you to believe he deserves forgiveness, then? As far as I can tell, he tried to go through the apology motions, got caught being insincere, and now is pissed about it. Seems like a pretty big dick to me, homophobia aside. Likewise, I don’t especially care for Russel Crowe.

16. michael says

“What excuse is there to call anyone a faggot?”

Who called anyone here a faggot? I don’t recall Isaiah dropping by to post.

“You guys are all retarded. You see the word NIGGER and freak out. It was an ironic political statement. Sorry to go above your heads, class dismissed.”

You’re actually the retard, and your pathetic attempt at “political irony” only revealed your own racism.

Thanks for sharing.

17. RDM says

I kind of think the hostility to Washington is overblown.

We have better reasons to get our panties in a bunch. How about going after the people who earnestly slander us? Like Bush? Pope Benedict? Rush Limbaugh? Isaiah Washington acted immaturely, but he’s hardly promoting discrimination or hatred.

18. Gregg says

JLS is a douchebag. Ironic statements tend to be difficult to express on the Internet – particularly in the comments on a blog where no one knows who you are, your humor, history, sensibilities…

The only class that has been dismissed is your own, as you clearly have no class.

19. MrRoboto says

What I can’t believe no one has addressed is the concept of second chances, and who in this situation will actually get one, and who really won’t. I knew virtually the second that I heard Isaiah’s option hadn’t been renewed and this whole drama got started that he would indeed bounce back quickly and get the glorious second chance that some producer, network or other industry would tout in order to raise a show’s profile in the press. But what about second chances for T.R. Knight? I’m curious to see what opportunities he’ll get after Grey’s Anatomy. He is now an OUT gay actor in Hollywood, which essentially means he will likely never get another lead role in a network series, or even a 5 episode guest star arc on a prominent series, unless it’s as the wisecracking gay sidekick of the show’s female lead. He might get a 2-line flashback scene on the occasional crime procedural, but as for anything that doesn’t stereotype him as a gay character, forget it. I hope he’s socking away every penny of that Grey’s Anatomy money, because once that gig’s over, T.R.’s most likely doomed to crappy gay indies and bit parts here and there.

20. Cory says

RDM, while I agree there are other individuals who deem more attention for their homophobia, IW is a celebrity who physically attacked a co-worked, called another co-worker a homophobic derogatory name, then recanted, then called him that term again on live television, then apologized, made a half-assed attempt at recanting (seemed more for his career than actually realizing he was sorry), then after being fired went off that T.R. Knight over reacted in order to gain attention, an increased salary and star power on “Grey’s Anatomy”. It seems the lady doth protest too much, as he has been the one making the most of this, not T.R. Knight and certainly not any one from “Grey’s Anatomy” (who have backed T.R. Knight). So, in sum, if we ignore this issue we are merely saying that it is ok for a celebrity to behave in this manner and treat us as less than human and a conspiring group to garner attention. I find this very ironic as it is the direct actions of IW that has garnered the most attention. If we ignore this, what happens the next time a celebrity calls someone a f**got or n****er or (insert derogatory term here)? Rehab? A slap on the wrist till someone else does it?

21. Cory says

MRROBOTO: Excellent point. That was in the back of my head, and while others will state that this may not be true, that Hollywood is changing, etc., the reality is it is not. Who knows what the future holds, but based on Hollywoods track record it doesn’t look as promising as it has been for T.R. Knight. Interesting that people seem more concerned with IW as if HE’S the victim. People need to get a grip and realize how wrong they are.

22. MidnightPrince69 says

I truly hate to say this, but you are acting like a bunch of FAGGOTS. We LGBTQ need to STAND STRONG. We must FIGHT BACK against the people who keep us down, who feel that we are inferior because we DARE to MAKE LOVE to other MEN. But it brings us down to the level of this person to try to control what he says. You sound weak, almost LISPY, when you screech and trill about how “Isaiah” should be BANNED or FIRED or GAYCOTTED.

I barely survived 9/11. I was THERE when the towers came down! But now I am officially ashamed to be gay.

23. silverskreen says

I know in one of posts above, “Jesus” asked Michael to get off the cross ’cause someone else needed it, but I don’t think it was meant for you to use, Midnightprince69.

Seriously, get off of it.

On the bright side, now that you’re ashamed to be gay, maybe you could be IW’s ass-istant.

24. Nathan says

Midnight…what does 9/11 have to do with anything? I’m sorry you experienced such a horror first-hand, but if you’re using it as an excuse to vent you’re internalized homophobia, I think you made a wrong turn. Does that make you a “real man”? Lispy? Weak? Faggots? Wow. Those are the words you choose to associate with LGBTQ people? I think, on the surface, the Washington story is overblown, too, but look what it represents. More double-standards. Would TR Knight get a second chance, as an out gay man, if he called Washington “the N word”? TR Knight, as it’s been so well put, will most likely never act again because he’s out and gay. When we point out inequities in society, we’re lispy, weak, and faggots? Interesting. If we keep our mouths shut and take the crap the world throws at us, then we’re manly? Just like straight guys? YIKES…

25. Onnie says

I is from Holland and do not make sense of what this is wrong. Is black peoples not the same as gay peoples? In Holland we not discriminate at anyone, not even midgets.

26. michael says

“MICHAEL, Actually now I am calling you faggot, and a nigger!”

You can call me whatever you want, while remaining safely hidden behind your computer at home. zzzzz

As hard as it may be for a racist like you to grasp, your words don’t define or affect me in the least.

We both know that in the real world, you don’t have the guts to call anyone a NIGGER to their face.

You’re not much of a man or human being.

27. John says

Anyone else think this “Bionic Woman” show will implode before it even hits the airwaves? Like some backstage drama will occur, and it will be over before it starts?

28. MaskedPoster says

I find it disappointing that Mr. Washington is forgiven by “the industry”, and those that think all this is racist because he is black.

Has anyone actually forgiven Michael Richards? How about Don Imus? Mel Gibson?

Does it depend on the color of your skin whether you should be forgiven or not? Does it depend on the color of your skin what words you can use? Is the ‘N’ word, ‘nappy ho’s’, being anti-semitic worse than spewing the ‘F’ word? I tire of people calling racism when it has nothing to do with racism. Has anyone ever read the story about the boy who called wolf? I know Sharpton and Jackson haven’t.

He used the ‘F’ word twice, once on set, and the other time denying he said it at all – in front of the press. Finally, he puts the blame on everyone else. The man deserves no respect, no matter what color his skin is!

29. michael says

No one that I know of is actively trying to derail and destroy their careers either. Mel Gibson is still making films, Don Imus will be back on radio, and Michael Richards is back to doing whatever it is he does.

Isaiah Washington made a mistake by calling someone a fag once on the set, so does that mean he should be destroyed?

30. Poor white folk says

Oh Lordy, Masa Michael, wont ya pleeaaase forgive me, Masa Michael?! … Ya know, ya know what I is, I evil. I see the evil in us white folk Masa Michael… Oh Lordy, forgive us Masa, FORGIVE US poor, ignant whities for eva kwestionin’ the Black man, cuz ya Black folk is righteous, ‘n everything ya do is righteous… I never say such tings, Masa. Never again, I sweeAAARRRRRR!!! … The Black Folk can say whateva is in yer harts, Masa… Y’all can call us faggots, homo’s, whateva is in yer hearts, Masa, cuz ya is rite. Masa Washington cen say ‘n do whateva is in dat Masa’s hart, cuz saying such ting’s is okay for Masa Washington cuz he is a righteous Black Man, and we is nuttin’ but poor ole whities, rite Masa Michael??? …

Oh Masa Michael, I is soooo sorry, please, PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE forgive us poor, ignant white folk for being racist ‘n sayin’ that Masa Washington was wrong in callin’ us poor faggots for what we is – FAGGOTS. Rite Masa Michael??! Masa?! MAAASSSSAAAA?!?!?!?!

31. Cane says

lol @ Poor White Folk

Michael honnie, you seem to have a hard on for Washington, and you seem to believe that a black man can say anything he wants about any body since being black means that you have that right, and if any one disagrees and criticizes a black man such as Washington then they are automatically racist.

I think the racist here is you Michael, for

1) assuming that Washington has the right to call any one anything he wants

2) believing that those who oppose Mr. Washington are all white

3) arguing that Washington deserves all the chances he can get since he is black

Michael, you need to rethink your strategy and get back to us once you’ve had your meds and a visit to what I like to call….

REALITY!!!!!!

32. says

Poor White Folk,

Maybe you should read Chesnutt or Hurston if you are going to try to “mimic” a form of black speech. I can give you some suggestions if you want.

Cane,

I can’t speak for Michael but he could be responding to how the Washington thing has played out (especially here at Towleroad). While Andy has just given us the facts a few folk have decided to turn the affair into a racial hate fest. Washington has been called a “filthy nigger” by someone who went on to explain how his lovah was black. Then there has been the standard “this just shows how hateful those black folk are” rhetoric.

Now before you go off and accuse me of supporting Washington, that’s not the case. Do a search on this site if you want. All my comments about the man have been negative. However, while I can be critical of him I can also say the way this whole thing has been discussed is problematic.

33. michael says

2. I never said anywhere in my comments that only whites oppose Isaiah. I am willing to bet that most of the comments here about boycotting NBC, the show, and starting letter writing campaigns, aren’t coming from people of color. Just a wild guess.

3. Again, I have never said anywhere that he deserves a second chance just because he’s black. Where did you read that????
    He deserves a second chance because he’s a human being, and we all make mistakes. He called someone a faggot, he didn’t shoot anyone.

If being called a faggot upsets some of you this much, then perhaps you should examine your own internalized self loathing and homophobia. Faggot is only a word, and has no power that we don’t give it.

Btw, thanks POOR WHITE FOLK for proving my previous post so eloquently.

34. dan says

jesus christ you guys — what a bunch of vile spew…seriously. what is wrong with you? so the guy said faggot, big deal…people use that word all the time, it doesn’t mean anything, and in the context he used it, it really didn’t mean anything. but seriously, even if it was, stop being such victims and get over it, but don’t use it as an excuse to be racist pigs. good god.

35. Giovanni says

James

Thanks for your posts – that’s pretty much my stance on things as well – it boggles the mind actually and to call it disheartening would be a understatement.

36. johnosahon says

i 100% agree with micheal. the more you hate isaiah the more i love him. the whole thing has been blown out of the planet. please, spend the time and energy you are wasting on isaiah to actually help the gay community, like help gay kids that have be thrown out of their houses.

37. Silverskreen says

I just hate the fact that now the focus isn’t even on the damn show any more, it’s all about this loud mouth. I was so looking forward to it too. UGH!!!

Why couldn’t he have just made an antisemitic comment?!!! He’d be done.

38. says

In that case “Silverskreen” Isaiah should direct all hsi futture coments to me: I’m Black, gay and half-Jewish.

IT’S THE TRIFECTA!!!!

The next role I’d like to see him play is Dead.

It’s a “Reality” show.

39. Seriously?! says

Michael and Dan (or maybe the same poster? hmmm),

So you basically glossed over every point every one has said and still believe that those who oppose Washington are racist (and saying otherwise makes YOU a liar, and no, I’m not going to quote everything you ever wrote). With the exception of a few (and maybe one or two) individuals who have made racist remarks (and some have made so in order to mock your paranoia and racism, NOT making them racist), no one has made this a race issue EXCEPT YOU! Your fascination and preoccupation with racism clearly demonstrates a need for attention and a martyr-syndrome. Stop giving this man excuses because he is black and start realizing that HE IS HOMOPHOBIC. More over, he had a second chance, and blew it at the Emmy’s with his continued use of the word “faggot” on live television, so he has had more than a second chance, he has had quite a few.

Again, stop making this about YOU and GET OVER YOURSELF. You are exhausting, childish, idiotic, and WAAAAAAY off base. I need to read more from you like I need a hole in the head. AARRRRGGHHHH! What a retard.

40. Jase says

Since seriously won’t do it, here are some comments posted by Michael on previous Washington threads:

I’m so happy for Isaiah!
    He’ll be great on the bionic woman, and hopefully his development deal takes off as well.

Writing letters to networks, and starting campaigns to destroy his career smacs of racism. Any casual reader of this site will son discover that black = evil homophobe on this site.

POSTED BY: MICHAEL | JUL 16, 2007 12:21:34 PM

2. I hope IW does sue…on whatever grounds his lawyers can come up with….and wins. He did everything ABC required of him, and they still let him go.

The man has apologized profusely, but that’s not enough for some people, who seem to revel in demonizing him. Most of the omments I have read on this and other “gay” sites have been unforgiving, and more than a little racist. No surprise there.

IW should be glad he’s off of that shitty show. Love him or hate him,he was definetely one of the best things about it, and I have no doubt ratings will dip even further next season.

POSTED BY: MICHAEL | JUN 21, 2007 12:44:40 PM

3. None of us are privy to what actually went on behind the scenes of his firing, so no one here is in any position to know whether he has a legal case against ABC. We’ll all just have to wait and see on that one.

As far as the racism (subtle and otherewise) directed at IW on this site, one need onlt to open their eyes when reading this thread, or any other dealing with black people on this site.

So tired of his fug whiny ass.

POSTED BY: MICHAEL | JUN 21, 2007 1:50:16 PM

4. The sick obsession you people have with destroying this man is beyond ridiculous.

I hope the show is a huge hit “heroes” style.

POSTED BY: MICHAEL | JUL 17, 2007 2:07:39 PM

5. “What excuse is there to call anyone a faggot?”

Who called anyone here a faggot? I don’t recall Isaiah dropping by to post.

Thanks for sharing.

POSTED BY: MICHAEL | JUL 17, 2007 2:51:44 PM

6. “Has anyone actually forgiven Michael Richards? How about Don Imus? Mel Gibson?”

POSTED BY: MICHAEL | JUL 17, 2007 6:07:52 PM

7. 1. Isaiah does have the right to say whatever he wants. It’s called freedom of speech here in america.

Btw, thanks POOR WHITE FOLK for proving my previous post so eloquently.

POSTED BY: MICHAEL | JUL 17, 2007 7:39:50 PM

There are a few more, but that about sums it up. If you read his comments, they’re pretty revealing on his obsession with Washington and racism. Michael, you seem to be racist, and your comments support the many suggested theories that you are giving a pass to Washington because he shares the same skin color as you. I feel sorry for you, cause you distract from the true racism in this world by making this issue something that it isn’t. True racism is an evil, just as homophobia, sexism, etc. are evils, and you are demeaning true racism by making an issue where none lies.

41. Jase says

Im case that is too much to read, here are some memorable quotes from Michael:

1. I’m so happy for Isaiah!

2. The INSANE reaction by people on this site to his calling someone a faggot is way out of bounds. You would think he was a one man anti gay terror squad. He apologized, so get the fuck over it.

3.Most of the omments I have read on this and other “gay” sites have been unforgiving, and more than a little racist. No surprise there.

4. T.R. Knight is not a VICTIM, and i’m so fucking tired of his canonization by the “gay community”, as some sort of martyr for the cause. His whiny ass sob story on Ellen was pathetic. He got called a faggot (indirectly), and has been riding the pity party ever since.

So tired of his fug whiny ass.

5.The sick obsession you people have with destroying this man is beyond ridiculous.

6.Who called anyone here a faggot? I don’t recall Isaiah dropping by to post.

7. Just saying the word FAGGOT doesn’t make you a homophobe. Am I supposed to logically accept that because he said the word in the front of the press, he should be destroyed for it? It’s just a fucking word. GET OVER IT.

8. If any of this nonsense illustrates anything, it’s just how deep racism goes within the gay community.

Michael: you are obsessed with Washington. Your comments indicate you are homophobic, by demeaning T.R. Knight and calling him “whiny” and that you are sick of him, and by diminishing the actual effect Isaiah Washington’s comments have (you stated so what for using the word faggot, once, but sadly he did it MANY times and was given MANY chances) you truly are not recognizing your obsession with racism in a situation where it does not warrant it. You are an embarrassment to the African-American and homosexual community. You should be ashamed.

42. Giovanni says

I am not embarrassed by you Michael – I don’t agree with you on many things such as your unflinching support of Washington or your lack of sympathy for T.R Knight. IMO Washington was rightly fired after his selfish Golden Globes tirade and pretty much made an ass out of himself and a mockery of his apology on Larry King – the anger towards him is a genuine reflection of pain – It’s important for you to recognize that.

Just as it is equally as important for others to recognize that the out right blood lust of some (death wishes?), coupled with the willingness of others to either ignore or rationalize the prejudices of a twisted few (time and time again on this site when stories involving poc’s and homophobia are involved ), carrys the burden of a history that is impossible and immoral to ignore. There can be no fair sleep until all we all are at peace.

Go out Michael and be the proud gay man of color that you in are – in equal parts – and never let anyone make you feel ashamed of (defending)either.

43. Jase says

Giovani: Death threats?! Who has made death threats against Isaiah Washington? More over, where those death threats shrouded in racism?

I have read more comments on Towleroad with death threats to Ann Coulter, Jarry Falwell, and more recently Fred Phelps, and I have yet to read ANY death threats commented on towards Isaiah Washington (and I reposted all of Michael’s comments, so I read through just about all the Washington posts).

Justifying Michael’s paranoia based on one or two extreme comments that everyone on Towleroad and in the gay community is out for “bloodlust” because they are racist is ignorant and foolish. If you even READ all or some of Michael’s comments that were reposted above, you would see an inarguable hatred for T.R. Knight and a lack of sympathy for him or any one who has suffered negatively as a result of Isaiah Washington’s hatred and homophobia.

I am sickened by this dead horse, and that Michael has taken the attention away from the actual matter in this instance by making this about MICHAEL, and has insulted actual racial crimes and bigotry by insinuating the gay community is racist for wanting justice in this matter with Isaiah Washington.

Michael’s comments only add insult to injury by demeaning T.R. Knight as a “fug whiny ass” and that “T.R. Knight is not a VICTIM”. How can you support someone who states such non-sense, such as “Just saying the word FAGGOT doesn’t make you a homophobe.” In the same instance he claims this and yet makes vulgar and ungrounded accusations that because the gay community wants justice we are automatically racist because Washington is black?!?!!?!

This is disgusting and frustrating that people believe this. Disgusting.

44. jmg says

Yes, I have noticed Giovanni’s comments on here tend towards the ridiculous.

It seems that many “gay men of color” don’t really think that white gay men are actually minorities. We are just straight men who happen to suck cock and like a little Judy from time to time. We are not allowed to be offended by anything, because we have not experienced what black men have gone through.
    Well, I am not going to apologize for being white or hold my tongue in criticizing someone because of my or his skin color.

45. Joe T. says

I still say most of those against Washington here are actually holding back on ferocity because of his race. I mean, it is going too far in wishing he never works again, but still….no one here is wishing for violent death on him like they do for Caucasians who have made “homophobic” statements at such lesser degrees than Washington did.

46. Giovanni says

JMG

I’ve also noticed the direction your comments tend towards as well – apologizing
    for your whiteness is the last thing I would expect you to do. It seems that as a gay white male you seem to think that gay men of color (I am bi racial bro – the term is meant to be inclusive – an idea you are probably unfamilar with) should niether be seen nor heard and to that I say kiss my brown ass though I am surprised to even hear you acknowledge that we exist as something other then some dodgy part of town – I guess that’s progress.

I think I am a pretty reasonable/fair minded gay dude who sucks dick and listens to Judy, and Rufus singing Judy for that matter, with my gwm bf and my rainbow tribe of friends. I am proud to have people in my life who not only expect diversity but actively pursue it as the solution to many social ills.

I draw no distinctions between broad racial generalizations, social apathy: no fats, fems,blacks or asians and hate speech including faggot, nigger, spic, kike, gook, chink, wop, gimp, dike, retard, bitch, ho etc – they are all equally offensive and should all be equally condemded and I don’t need to wait for anyone’s permission or blessing to do so. Nor should you – we are all on the same team – until we are not that is…

I am not quite sure why anyone would expect poc’s to ignore the sometimes faint, but often creepy, racial undercurrent that seems to flow through this site whenever a negative story about homophobia and people of color is posted or the lack of total condemnation of it that should follow. I have the same standards for homophobia etc on sites that are predominately trafficked by straight people of color – and in the real world as well – that does not make me ridiculous – it makes me alive and fully engaged. Much like everyone else in this debate.

Washington is an arrogant jerk who used hate speech twice – once as a weapon and once during a horribly timed outburts and the latter rightly cost him his job though I have no interest in ruining the rest of his life – for those of you that do – fine.

I certainly do not believe that the vast majority of animosity towards him is racially motivated even if I do believe it is out of wack and that a great many fucked things have been posted about him since this story broke last october things that have clouded the issue and that as a poc I can not ignore and as gay brothers you should not. I do wish people would read all of the posts before they react to them –
    I do not believe Michael is right in his assumptions – in fact he is dead wrong in continuing to victimize T.R Knight in this matter and to insult others who feel differently then he does. I get the root of his angst though and the source of his pain regarding this site – its not an isolated incident – its a cumulative effect and therefore can not condemn him for it but would rather talk him through it. Yelling at him is not going to solve anything.

47. Abregaza says

I’ll be changing my channel from anything IW is on. He simply offences me, from the language he believes is acceptable and his violence towards others to the shifting realities of his ever changing justification of his behaviour (I didn’t do it, TR & company conspired against me, PD was late and it pissed me off, whatever the story is today).

I will not support in any way anything he does. I will keep up with what he hires on to, simply so I can ensure I don’t have to watch him ever.

48. says

And here I was thinking I’d watch Bionic Woman becuase I enjoyed the original show when I was a kid. I’m going to have to reconsider. And how offensive to compare Isaiah to A-Rod…

49. Joe T. says

Giovanni : Then do you believe all the wishes of harm professed on Towleroad (far worse than anything I’ve seen wished on Isaiah Washington) are racially-motivated when the “culprit” is Caucasian? As others have said, look up the posts on Colin Finnerty and you’ll see true Gacy-Dahmer-like hatred for someone who, for anyone who has followed the facts of the Duke case, knows the hatred is directed at an innocent slob who did virtually nothing either homophobic, criminal, or racial. Again, I think the vehemence shown toward Isaiah Washington is a little over the top, but I can’t say I see it as any worse than the blood-curdling things I’ve read directed toward Caucasians.

50. Jack! says

MRROBOTO, MASKEDPOSTER, SERIOUSLY?!, JOE T. AND CORY SAID IT ALL.

Joe T., Colin Finnerty attacked gay men in Washington D.C. before the rape case that’s why commentors hated him.

51. Donovan says

Wow, Michael, wow. Someone needs a reality check. Isaiah is not the gay community’s friend, and the insinuation it’s because of racism is laughable. My reaction (which was pretty much “oh he said that? And then he said that? What an ass. That’s not ok.”) had so little to do with his skin color it’s not even funny.

As far as the following discussion, I just have this to say: the gay community might have it’s share of racism. Is that a surprise? Is it ever possible to have every single member of two communities comletely understand eachother to the point that no one ever says anything offensive? But in general, if you can’t see that the gay community is overall more accepting when it comes to race…you’re deluded. It’s certainly way more accepting of people of color than many communities of color are of it…

52. Joe T. says

Oh no he didn’t, Jack. Get your facts straight. What he did was use language far far far less homophobic (the word “gay”, which also means retarded) against a straight man who attacked him first, and all Finnerty did was throw air punches. Get your facts straight, Jack. But go read the posts wishing for his total destruction. Again, my point is, I think the criticism of Washington is a little out of hand, but I have a hard time thinking it’s mostly racial, when we compare it to the worse attacks we see directed at white men.

53. says

“It’s certainly way more accepting of people of color than many communities of color are of it…”

Not really but what does this dubious idea have to do with Washington?

54. says

“I think we would all be better served if we were to start listening to each other, rather than finding ways to belittle, attack or ignore or dismiss – nothing good will come from apathy.”

That was an excellent Rodney King, Gio. You should try out for “The Next Best Thing.”

The basic facts are that in addition to the ordinary standard-issue internalized homophobia crippling the glbt community at every level there’s the very special brand of internalized homophobia that African-Americans like Michael are heir to. In his mind gayness is something to be deeply ashamed of. Therefore, getting called a faggot is something we deserve. Especially when it’s a Proud Straight Black Man like Isaiah calling someone a faggot — even more especially when it’s the obviously “unmasculine” T.R. Knight.

We’re just supposed to sit here and take it like the “punks” that we are.

Isn’t that right, Michael?

55. Sugarrhill says

IW is an idiot. He got what he deserved. He was fired from Grey’s. Yeah, it sucks that he got hired for another show, but if you hate him so much don’t watch it. It’s really that simple. I’ve boycoted Mel Gibson when he went on his anti-feminist, anti-semetic verbal assualt.

The only thing I take issue with when white gay men perceive their descrimination to be on par with that of people of color. It isn’t. It’s different, especially considering it’s still very much in play within our own little marginalized group.

56. jmg says

Giovanni–your “Rainbow tribe of friends”?
    What are you, a Benneton commercial?

A couple of questions–does a person who is 1/8 black qualify as a person of color? How about 1/4? Are Lebanese people of color? How about Sicilians? Portuguese? Jews?

57. Call It As I See It says

and then there is that “extra special” stain of racism practiced by white gays like David who, when faced with a black male and a gay white male, will take the side of the white male no matter what, and rationalize it away because they are gay and therefore not racist (you know, the whole “gays are less racist” sermon that only white gays themselves seem to believe). akin to patting oneself on the back.

58. says

How this debate turned racial, I’ll never understand…It’s an American thing, I guess, but the fact of the matter is that IW was an a-hole, said something hurtful out of anger, paid the price and now Hollywood is giving him a second chance, just like Michael Richards deserves one, Mel Gibson, and all other stupid potheads who just think they can say whatever and get away with it. It looks as though some managed to…get away that is( Mel Gibson for instance). Anywho, we should focus more on dying kids in Darfur, finding a cure for AIDS and Cancer…Oh and get rid of racism, sexism and all other negative -ism that we’re so fond of!!

59. Derrick from Philly says

When white gays retaliate against the actions of a white homophobe, the attack is personal–aimed at that single white gay-basher. When y’all retaliate against a black homophobe, your comments are offensive to all black people. Why? Because too many of y’all resort to racist insults that have been used against black folks long before Isaiah Washington was born. These are beliefs you’ve had all along. And Michael is not a racist. You have to rule over another race for a period time to actually feel superior to them. He aint even a bigot. If he was, he wouldn’t even come to this blog to read your opinions.

60. John says

Obviously, for IW to claim that he was fired (by a black woman) because of racism is ridiculous.

But, if we’re talking about generalities, then gay white males are just as racist as their straight counterparts. No more. No less.

I don’t know where some GWMs get the idea that they’re “exempted from whiteness” because they like boys (as if being gay and white were mutually exclusive categories, and you can only be one). It’s an absurd proposition. Unless you’re walking down the street in full makeup and a corseted dress, people will assume you’re just another white guy. And they’ll treat you accordingly – which in this country means more favorably.

61. Brandon says

Lets call a spade a spade, some gay white guys are as racist as they come, its unfortunate that they cant join the KKK because they are discriminate toward sexuality. Thats the only reason, I can see for a person, to desperately want a man to suffer, after apologizing, being sent to rehab and getting fired, yet they want him to never work again. The truth be told, if he was white, you guys wouldn’t even give a damn about writing on this blog.

62. Fresh says

The man called a heterosexual the f word, which wasn’t a taboo at the time and everyone is going crazy in their knickers, he apologized, got fired and has moved, so should you. I am definitely watching Bionic woman

63. Francesca says

“I’ve boycoted Mel Gibson when he went on his anti-feminist, anti-semetic verbal assualt.”

How was Gibson being anti-feminist? And if he was, so what? Again remember that little thing called free speech and free thought. Open your mind for real and Read 1984.

BTW it’s anti-semitic. And unless Gibson has a problem with Arabs, the term doesn’t apply to him. Given that Gibson is not a neocon and doesn’t support the wars in Iraq and likely Iran, it’s bloody unlikely!