Isaiah Washington | News | Television

Isaiah Washington Grateful for Second Chances

Isaiah Washington talked to the Associated Press about his upcoming extended guest star role on the new fall show Bionic Woman:

Isaiahw"I'm humbled by this opportunity. What I always wanted to put at the forefront is my creativity, that thing I want to do, which is act...If there are issues with other actors (he is referring to a tiff about cast tardiness with Patrick Dempsey that he says began the whole incident), it's not my problem. I'm not a hero, babysitter, big brother. I'm the employee, too."

And NBC's Ben Silverman recalled his decision to hire the actor following his firing: "[I thought] 'Gosh, it would great to get him, get a great actor on our air.' It's like A-Rod leaving the Yankees in midseason...I really thought about him as an actor. I feel like he's a wonderful actor and everyone deserves a second chance."

Comments

1. Andy, my blood is already boiling over the Phelps post. Now this!

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Jul 17, 2007 1:05:37 PM

2. Something about this man makes me as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. He has this calmness about him that seems uneasy, and there's something behind those eyes that just says "Say one thing wrong, one thing, and I'll come after you, your family, the house your family lives in, the builder of your family's house..." Washington already has a history of physical and emotional abuse (as noted in the press, he physically attacked a female costar on "Soul Food", as well as going after its director, the "Grey's Anatomy" incidents), so if this show wants to deal with him, so be it. Good luck. I won't be tuning in to watch "Bionic Woman" meets "Bionic Mouth". I'm done with this guy, he's nothing to me, and will never be anything other than a psychopath and a hot head. Moving on...

Posted by: Cory | Jul 17, 2007 1:15:17 PM

3. Just another reason to NOT watch NBC. If it wasn't for The Office, it would never be on my television.

The buzz in town on Bionic Woman is so largely negative, I think it's just what Washington deserves - another career failure.

But, Washington will still be getting a Vangard award from GLAAD, right?

Posted by: BeeDee | Jul 17, 2007 1:17:27 PM

4. Oh I am SO sick of this creep! I don't care if he's playing the title role in "The Bionic Woman" -- I won't watch ANYTHING he's on.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 17, 2007 1:25:57 PM

5. Big mistake for NBC on this one. The Bionic Woman has a huge chance to pull a large gay audience ... as the original did. This could be enough to make many of us turn away.

I really don't think they want to give us a reason not to watch.

Posted by: Garrett | Jul 17, 2007 1:35:43 PM

6. "Oh I am SO sick of this creep! I don't care if he's playing the title role in "The Bionic Woman" -- I won't watch ANYTHING he's on."

Just remember, refusing to watch Isaiah is "racism."

Posted by: John | Jul 17, 2007 1:37:02 PM

7. Of course everyone deserves a second chance. But Isaiah already had his second chance, and he blew it!

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 17, 2007 1:39:21 PM

8. Am i to believe that the head of NBC could not find another talented actor who hadn't repeatedly uttered homophobic slurs? And give me a break, how much talent is required to act in The Bionic Woman. I'm willing to bet that if NBC decided to give Don Imus a "second chance" that they would have a boycott on their hands.

Posted by: james | Jul 17, 2007 1:50:21 PM

9. What a nigger.

Posted by: JLS | Jul 17, 2007 1:52:15 PM

10. Andy, I know you like to cover a story through to the end, but are we really going to have to read about every job Washington applies for in the coming weeks/months?

In my opinion, this is a dead horse, unless of course, he makes another homophobic remark.

Posted by: mark m | Jul 17, 2007 1:52:27 PM

11. Having worked at NBC in the past, it doesn't surprise me they would hire Isaiah. It is one of the cruelist places to work. I'm so happy they are in last place. I left when they started in on the reality series kick and Frasier and Will & Grace ended. You'll notice there hasn't been a real gay presence on that network since. When I worked there, they wouldn't even advertise in gay publications for Will & Grace. They felt we would watch it anyways and they didn't need to cultivate us.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jul 17, 2007 1:54:24 PM

12. Does the guy deserve another chance, sure...no problem with that. But is he a good actor? Seriously, he was a member of an ensemble cast of a night-time soap opera! And now he's joining the Bionic Woman...who cares!

Have you seen MadTV's version of Grey's Anatomy?? Bobby Lee as Sandrah Oh!! It's hysterical!

You're giving him, and NBC, power by spending so much time and energy bashing them. Forget about them, ignore them, and go do something important with your time.

Posted by: Wayne | Jul 17, 2007 2:01:31 PM

13. The sick obsession you people have with destroying this man is beyond ridiculous.

It's become abundantly clear that there is absolutely NOTHING Isaiah can ever do to make up for calling T.R Knight a "faggot". He's clearly the most evil homophobe who ever existed. zzzz

I wasn't really interested in the new bionic woman series, but now that Isaiah is involved, I will most definetely be watching.

I hope the show is a huge hit "heroes" style.

Posted by: michael | Jul 17, 2007 2:07:39 PM

14. "What a nigger." JLS

Hmm, I wonder how many others here feel that way.

Posted by: michael | Jul 17, 2007 2:10:55 PM

15. Yes yes yes, but...more importantly, will Oscar Goldman wear socks or not?

Posted by: basis4insanity | Jul 17, 2007 2:14:16 PM

16. JLS's comment says a lot about the reality of the "gay community": bigotry is alive and well.

What excuse is there for that kind of language? Washington's a jerk; so it's okay to use racist terminology?

Posted by: noah | Jul 17, 2007 2:16:39 PM

17. Wayne: I LOVE MadTV's version of Grey's. The first time I watched Bobby Lee as Sandra Oh I peed myself laughing. I loved the first one, when that background song kept going "I'm sorry, sooo sorry" and every scene with Bobby Lee ended in tears and hysteria. LMAO. I think the audience didn't appreciate it as much as we did. =)

Posted by: Cory | Jul 17, 2007 2:28:05 PM

18. Well, and I can cross Ben Silverman off of my "People I respect in Hollywood" list.

Posted by: Harrison | Jul 17, 2007 2:29:07 PM

19. Oh GOD MICHAEL, you keep bringing up that the people who have an issue with IW are racist. GIVE IT A REST. The comments that were "racist" were in regards to YOUR ridiculous accusations on this blog, merely poking fun at your paranoia. I'm not racist, I have no problem with other various different than my own, and my comments on IW are merely a reflection of his homophobia and HIS constant need to be a martyr, as it seems apparent with you as well.

Posted by: Reality Check | Jul 17, 2007 2:30:45 PM

20. What excuse is there to call anyone a faggot?

Posted by: JLS | Jul 17, 2007 2:30:49 PM

21. Here's that "Grey's Anatomy" spoof (or one of them) from MadTV on Youtube:

Posted by: Cory | Jul 17, 2007 2:33:15 PM

22. "What excuse is there to call someone a faggot?"

Why, when they call me a nigger, JLS. But being called a nigger doesn't bother me unless it was Edward Kennedy who done it. That would hurt. All the others who call me that word are what Mammy called them in "Gone With The Wind" when she was talking about the ex-overseer at Tara, "that white trash...," she said. I loved Mammy, JLS, don't you?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 17, 2007 2:43:08 PM

23. "It's become abundantly clear that there is absolutely NOTHING Isaiah can ever do to make up for calling T.R Knight a "faggot". He's clearly the most evil homophobe who ever existed. "

What exactly has he done thus far that leads you to believe he deserves forgiveness, then? As far as I can tell, he tried to go through the apology motions, got caught being insincere, and now is pissed about it. Seems like a pretty big dick to me, homophobia aside. Likewise, I don't especially care for Russel Crowe.

Posted by: scientitian | Jul 17, 2007 2:47:32 PM

24. "What excuse is there to call anyone a faggot?"

Who called anyone here a faggot? I don't recall Isaiah dropping by to post.

"You guys are all retarded. You see the word NIGGER and freak out. It was an ironic political statement. Sorry to go above your heads, class dismissed."

You're actually the retard, and your pathetic attempt at "political irony" only revealed your own racism.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: michael | Jul 17, 2007 2:51:44 PM

25. I kind of think the hostility to Washington is overblown.

We have better reasons to get our panties in a bunch. How about going after the people who earnestly slander us? Like Bush? Pope Benedict? Rush Limbaugh? Isaiah Washington acted immaturely, but he's hardly promoting discrimination or hatred.

Posted by: RDM | Jul 17, 2007 2:58:02 PM