Ian Roberts | Magazines | News | Rugby | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Rugby Icon Ian Roberts Battled Slurs with Kisses

Ianroberts1

Gay rugby icon-turned-actor Ian Roberts is looking fantastic in the pages of the upcoming "Sex" issue of The Advocate, where he's featured in a cover story.

Ianroberts2_2Roberts discusses the difficulties of breaking into Hollywood, and goes into great detail about his recently-wrapped up involvement in trials surrounding the murder of gay teen Arron Light, which I've posted about here extensively.

Roberts also discusses his coming out in 1995, which was prompted by a "degrading" article in an Australian tabloid:

"I enjoyed the actual moment. It was empowering to be out. All the confusion that had been part of my life suddenly vanished. When the whole world knew I was gay, I wasn't angry anymore. It's a whole clash about what it means to be a man, about masculinity. People would say, 'You must be the exception to the rule [of what gay men are like]. You don't swish around, you're not a cross-dresser.'"

Also noted is the strategy he used when fans would shout "faggot" or "cocksucker" from the stands. He'd return the slurs with a wink, or something more direct:

"If anything, I took it as a compliment. If they were, by any chance, cute, I'd give them a cute kiss at some point during the game. It became a rugby league story—if you got kissed by me on the field, you weren't half bad to look at."

The issue hits newsstands on July 17th.

You may have missed...
Ian Roberts Cleared of Assaulting Ex-Boyfriend [tr]
'Big, cuddly softie' Ian Roberts in Court on Assault Charge [tr]
Ian Roberts Testifies About Murdered Friend [tr]
Gay Rugby Icon Ian Roberts in Superman Returns [tr]
Gay Rugby Icon Ian Roberts Testifies About Abuse [tr]

Comments

1. I just ran back to the alley to see if he was on that couch back there but, alas, it must be somewhere else...

Holy fuck.

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 13, 2007 11:06:19 AM

2. Yes please. Two, please.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 13, 2007 11:07:48 AM

3. I've got something I want to wink at him for sure...

FLOAT 2007

Posted by: Derek | Jul 13, 2007 11:10:36 AM

4. I wonder if it is more difficult for athletes to realize they are gay. Are they more delusional in this regard? (Mind over matter--like evangelicals claim to possess.)

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 13, 2007 11:22:41 AM

5. Woof!

Posted by: Rad | Jul 13, 2007 11:33:11 AM

6. Oh. My. God. Id really like to get the wink. And the kiss. Does rugby give you that body? Darn!

Posted by: Xavier | Jul 13, 2007 11:33:52 AM

7. I'd be a slave for him any day. Lord. Alas, I think he likes twinks, and I am FAR from a twink. :'(

Posted by: Cory | Jul 13, 2007 11:34:57 AM

8. "Faggot" and "Cocksucker" will get you a wink or a kiss? My god, what do I have to yell at him to get more??????

Posted by: mark m | Jul 13, 2007 11:47:13 AM

9. Uh oh. I'm not going to be able to get up from my desk for a moment.

Posted by: stevo | Jul 13, 2007 11:54:48 AM

10. Mark M: LOL seriously...

Does any one know if he has an official website or Myspace page?

Posted by: cory | Jul 13, 2007 12:03:48 PM

11. Oh, dear heavenly days! That photo of Mr. Roberts on the divan is amazing! Wow!

Posted by: JT | Jul 13, 2007 12:04:12 PM

12. hotguy's definitely rocking that studio54 busboy outfit !

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 13, 2007 12:15:44 PM

13. Forget making soccer the big thing in the USA...

Let's make Rugby the next big thing! Mr. Roberts, if you please...

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Jul 13, 2007 12:24:03 PM

14. I'd like to ask everyone to please bow their heads a moment and send out a little prayer to Reichen who intimates [all 8,242] tell me he is deeply depressed because "The Advocate" failed to put him on their "sex" cover again. Here's hoping you get everything you deserve, Ricky.

Posted by: Leland | Jul 13, 2007 12:32:35 PM

15. This comment is hard to type with just one hand.

Posted by: Jake | Jul 13, 2007 12:49:33 PM

16. Thank you Leland, I've been having a crappy day and gave me a good laugh.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jul 13, 2007 12:51:11 PM

17. Okay, seriously. This guy is so fugly. I've met him in person twice and CANNOT get past that busted face. I'm thinking of starting a rehab for gays who just luuuuv steroidy brutes. This whole strange need to absolutely smothered by a large mass.

Posted by: Jaimie | Jul 13, 2007 1:03:04 PM

18. C'mon - if you cannot see some beauty in everything, it's truly sad for you.

Posted by: AudiJim | Jul 13, 2007 1:19:45 PM

19. Ms Jaimie F, get off my website, this is MY territory LOL. I didn't know you read Andy's blog. Small world. Miss you babe. If I come to San diego next weekend I'll stop up and see you (so you can intro me to Ian lol).

Posted by: Cory | Jul 13, 2007 1:22:21 PM

20. I also think Ian Roberts is hot. But I see him from time to time in West Hollywood, and he is always with some disturbingly young looking guy. I'm talking I-just-graduated-from-high-school young. Besides, that whole story about that kid Aron Light just showing up on his doorstep in Australia and Roberts taking him into his home (even though Light was underage at the time) was just too weird.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 13, 2007 1:52:29 PM

21. Ian Roberts has such flabby legs for a rugby player!

Posted by: tony the tiger | Jul 13, 2007 1:59:01 PM

22. Actually, I dont care if he's cute or not, his outlook is incredible. I cant even imagine how difficult it was being a man out of the closet and in the spotlight as a sports star in the 90s.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 13, 2007 2:05:50 PM

23. His legs are not flabby - he'll probably outrun you Tony.

Ian does have a fugly face tho, but he is kind of hot at the same time. Its like staring at an bloody accident - can't take your eyes off him.

And yes PeterParker, the implication was was disconcerting, even if it was nice of him to take the kid in.

Posted by: Landis | Jul 13, 2007 2:45:55 PM

24. Not a pretty face, but there is a nude beach in Hawai'i he should visit.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 13, 2007 2:56:03 PM

25. Thanks guys for all of your kind words! I greatly appreciate it!

Now that I got away with that assault scot free I plan to visit the states sometime soon.

Look out for me on the cover of the Advocate this month!!!

IAN ROBERTS