Arizona | Crime | News | Scottsdale

Scottsdale, Arizona Sees Second Anti-Gay Attack in Eight Months

Police in Scottsdale, Arizona are looking into a homophobic assault on a 27-year-old Phoenix man. The Arizona Republic reports on the attack, which took place in the early hours of the morning on July 16th:

Bswest"After leaving BS West, a downtown Scottsdale bar, Gearing and a friend stopped in a parking garage to hug goodbye. Two men came running toward them, screaming sexual slurs at them, as Gearing jumped into his car. When Gearing drove toward the men, one of them kicked in the passenger side of his car. The other slammed his fist through the back windshield of his Ford Focus. That same man raced around the car and, with his bloody fist, punched him in the jaw through the open driver's side window. 'I thought this guy must be hurt and wouldn't keep coming after me,' Gearing said. Injured, Gearing ran after the men, still talking to the 9-1-1 dispatcher on his cell phone. As he ran, he said he told the men he had a gun 'so they wouldn't attack me again.' On the tape he says, 'I'm going to shoot him,' but insists he was talking to his assailants, and not the dispatcher. When the dispatcher questioned him about the gun, he told her he had lied. Gearing said at first he did not want to tell his story, but said he was 'more mad than sad,' and hoped his ordeal 'would get others to speak out.'"

Gearing reportedly had a distressed, curse-filled altercation with the dispatcher, for which he has since apologized, according to the East Valley Tribune. Said Gearing: “She went above and beyond to stay calm and do her job right."

Gearing has met with representatives from the Scottsdale Human Rights Commission and gay-rights group Equity Arizona.

RollandThis is Scottsdale's second anti-gay attack in recent months. In December, I posted about a violent assault on Jean Rolland, 28, and Andrew Frost, 19, outside Frasher's Steakhouse. Seven man ambushed the couple as they held hands, exiting the restaurant. Restaurant employees did not report seeing anything go on outside the restaurant, though Frost sustained head injuries and blacked out during the attack.

Said Frost at the time: "It was creepy to me. I could see the bone in my jaw through one gash. I had blood pouring out of me and I actually blacked out at one point."

Rolland added, "My only hope is that they're going to brag about it and tell their friends how tough they were. How tough is it to use seven guys to take on two guys, including one 19-year-old who weighs 120 pounds?"

The December attack, unfortunately, remains unsolved.

Scottsdale police probe new hate crime [east valley tribune]
Anti-gay bias in Scottsdale? Beating revives debate [arizona republic]

You may have missed...
Gay Couple Attacked Outside Scottsdale Steak House [tr]

Comments

1. Meanwhile members of Congress can't even agree that we should not be beaten and murdered because we are LGBT. Its pretty sickening and shows just how far the religious right hate machine has built its power and influence while we can't to build bigger and better circuit parties.

When are we going to wake up?

Posted by: Bloggernista | Jul 25, 2007 9:59:56 AM

2. This is so sad such a statement on our youth in this country and the future!
    Yet I am so glad when we fight back.
    It sucks that we must be on guard but we must remain alert and aware and let them know "gonna kick your ass right back"
    Stand up!!

Posted by: Joe | Jul 25, 2007 10:19:57 AM

3. Understand this: The police don't care. Judges and prosecutors don't care. Politicians don't care. You will have to take care of yourself. Stop being victims, and ARM ALL GAYS.

Posted by: Mad John | Jul 25, 2007 11:22:16 AM

4. Wow, when are you faggots gonna wise up. I would have had a gun, I would have carried it and I would have shot each one dead, Murder be fucking damned. No hetrosexual is going to beat me and live plain and simple. It's amazing to me that you want hate crime laws, there should be only one law, the right to bare arms and for gay the right to use them when they are under attack. Fuck the police, They are about useless. Get a life before you don't have one.

Posted by: david | Jul 25, 2007 12:08:30 PM

5. Sounds like they might press charges for him harassing the dispatcher. He overreacted there is seems. Scottsdale/Phoenix is hardly a small town anymore.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 25, 2007 12:22:53 PM

6. There are also news reports done by fox10 and abc15 in arizona about the incident.

Posted by: NJ | Jul 25, 2007 4:27:45 PM

7. This isn't about harassing a 911 operator. I'd venture to say that 911 operators get frantic phone calls all day long and are trained for callers such as Nick. She was doing what our taxes pay her to do. It was all in a day's work for her.

The issue here is about the lack of support from the Scottsdale Police Department and the city government as a whole. Fighting attackers with guns, knives, and other weapons isn't what we need to do. Besides, in this case, he wouldn't have a weapon on him because he just came from a bar. Having a firearm in a bar is illegal. Alcohol and firearms don't mix.

This is about mobilizing our friends, families, and straight allies to ensure that we educate each other on what it means to appreciate diversity...on BOTH sides of the orientation spectrum. The more people we educate that we deserve the same rights and protections as our straight counterparts, the more crimes like this will be unacceptable. Pretty soon the cowardly straight guys who think it's manly to hit someone by surprise and run away like scared children will soon diminish.

By dragging their feet and placing blame on a trauma victim, the Scottsdale P.D. sends a message that their focus is not on protecting citizens and solving crimes but on public relations. The City of Scottsdale's image CANNOT be more important than helping crime victims who patronize their city.

Call or email and let them know how you feel. I'd be willing to bet that if the mayor's son (not much younger than Nick) was the victim of a hate crime, she wouldn't appreciate her police department treating him that way.

Mayor Mary Manross, City of Scottsdale mmanross@scottsdaleaz.gov
    (480) 312-2433

Posted by: Arizonan | Jul 25, 2007 4:53:58 PM

8. Someone needs to address the issue that rises in my mind. Mr Gearing has complete and utter contempt for hetero men. I have witnessed this many times personally. Something about this whole thing stinks to high heaven to me personally.

Posted by: HandM | Jul 25, 2007 8:12:13 PM

9. someone needs to address the issue that rises in MY mind: HANDM seems to have some complete and utter contempt HE should deal with. i agree with ARIZONAN'S post above...this is about getting attacked for NO REASON. now HANDM is going to attack this guy personally???? i find it hard to believe that any gay man hates heterosexual guys the way HAND describes but after we've been victimized by them for so long, i wouldn't blame him. i know plenty of abused women who also dislike their abusers. still doesn't make it ok for someone to keep abusing.

Posted by: Bitter Is Not a Good Color | Jul 25, 2007 8:26:41 PM

10. Shit like this makes me want to start my own homo-vigilante group. We could bait gaybashers, with more 'mos waiting in the wings with stun guns, mace, and crowbars. Show them a little bit of what Matthew Sheppard felt. I would love to kick them in the head with my steel toe boot, returning all their hate, and laugh at them as they bleed on the concrete.

Posted by: Seattle Guy | Jul 25, 2007 9:54:14 PM

11. I should not be faulted for personal observations. I am not the only one who has witnessed this behavior that feels this way. I am the only one saying something. I forget tho....Youre not allowed to question the victim. We are required to take their word for it.

Posted by: HandM | Jul 25, 2007 10:23:41 PM