Christopher Ciccone | Food & Drink | Madonna | News | Reality TV

An Unidentified Christopher Ciccone Spices Up Top Chef

Christopher_ciccone

On Top Chef last night, two competing teams had to throw together a restaurant, decorations and all, in 24 hours.

What you may not have noticed, because he was never identified, was that one of the patrons was designer Christopher Ciccone (brother of Madonna, of course, who is incidentally celebrating her 49th birthday today).

We think Christopher Ciccone should appear as a judge on every episode, because, like Simon Cowell, Ciccone does not mince his words when it comes to judging what's put before him.

First the decor:

Candle1_2 Candle2_2

CHRISTOPHER: The chef should know better than to put a scented candle on the table. (putting it on the floor and covering it) And it's dead now. And I need a new napkin.

Then the food:

Dale_2CHRISTOPHER: It wasn't the best lamb. The meat wasn't cooked properly. I thought it tasted like metal.

DALE: Like metal?

CHRISTOPHER: And if that's a vegetable medley, I'm a monkey.

DALE: I will let miss Sara know.

Top Chef needs to be shaken out of its stupor a little bit, and a biting, straightforward critic like Ciccone could be the perfect ingredient.

Comments

1. I feel sorry for Dale and Hung (what a great name for a gay guy, "Hi, I'm Hung...").

They have to go back home and face their friends after getting out decorated by straight people.

The shame. The humiliation.

And on national TV! :)

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 16, 2007 10:28:13 AM

2. Wow, I never would have recognized him! He looks so much different now.

Posted by: Ridwah | Aug 16, 2007 10:33:37 AM

3. Maybe someone should have suggested to Christopher that after removing the candle perhaps he could remove his elbows from the table as well...

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 16, 2007 10:40:28 AM

4. Not knowing who he is, would one really find his critique interesting? I presumed he was just a patron completely exagerating his complaints for camera time. Knowing who he is now only makes him seem more pathetic to me. None of the other judges made comments of the meat tasting like metal. So where's the credibility? The show already has really blunt guest judges from time to time. Having a Simon Cowell type of a judge each week would be a different show. I want to see a show about real cooking, not too much drama and certainly not a clown acting for the camera each week.

Posted by: Bryce | Aug 16, 2007 10:41:32 AM

5. I thought he was kind of being an asshole. I sure as hell didn't recognize him. So, now I KNOW he was being an asshole, and I know who he is. I guess that's progress.

Posted by: Desideratum | Aug 16, 2007 10:58:29 AM

6. What happened to him -- he used to be cute now he looks like he's halfway on his way to looking like Larry Flynt. And his rudeness made him even uglier. There's a fine although very visible line between being critical and just being an asshole.

Posted by: scott | Aug 16, 2007 11:02:14 AM

7. I wish you would do more stuff on Dale. He is my favorite openly gay reality star of all time - OK that's an exaggeration. He is my favorite openly gay reality star at this very moment!!!

Posted by: MikeJ | Aug 16, 2007 11:06:22 AM

8. Please don't put spoilers in the headline. We TIVOers haven't watched them yet.

Posted by: Gary | Aug 16, 2007 11:10:24 AM

9. I'm agreeing with Bryce and Desi. This guy, semi-famous celebrity brother or not, was posturing for the camera a little bit. There is a difference between being biting and straightforward--and borishly mean.

This guy is Michael Carl with less hair: stout, hackneyed, and childish. Please don't make Top Chef into another Shear Genius.

Posted by: zack | Aug 16, 2007 11:17:22 AM

10. Gary, there was no spoiler in the headline. Nothing relevant to the episode was revealed here that wasn't mentioned in the commercials for this week's show. Unless you consider revealing that someone who was on screen for five seconds was Christopher Ciccone a spoiler. It was never even mentioned on the show, which suggests that even the show didn't know who he was.

Scott, what happened to him? He's 49 years old. Life happened to him.

Desideratum, I agree with you completely.

Posted by: Patrick | Aug 16, 2007 11:19:18 AM

11. Gary, it isn't a spoiler. He isn't a big part of the show.

Posted by: zack | Aug 16, 2007 11:20:02 AM

12. Ciccone actually used to own and run a pretty successful restaurant in West Hollywood a few years back...I can't recall the name right now - it was on Beverly Blvd, I believe. Higher end, very much a hto spot for awhile...so he does have the background to be an experienced, valid critic of restaurants or food. Probably a perfect type for Top Chef. I feel they all play for the camera though, so it's really probably a matter of opinion whether you think he's bein g an asshole or not. It's TV and a competition of apparently highly experienced chefs -- they should be able to take the criticism.

Posted by: Troy | Aug 16, 2007 11:31:37 AM

13. So, spoiled bitchiness runs in the family, then?

Posted by: Zinc Alloy | Aug 16, 2007 11:40:24 AM

14. The name of his restaurant on Beverly was called Atlantic (I believe).

I thought it was weird that they didn't identify him. I though it was even weirder (is that a word?) that they kept quoting that chick's blog. Who cares?! I want to know what the judges think, not some headless bitchy blog. And then they give them a do-over! All in all a very starnge episode.

Posted by: stevo | Aug 16, 2007 11:42:09 AM

15. Mr. C’s sister could possible get away with the Diva routine but, he looked like a prick.
    Simon Cowell actually knows of what he speaks so while blunt it’s coming from a place of knowledge. As far as I know Mr. C has never opened a restaurant or cooked a meal for public consumption. His 15 min was up with the end of the Blonde Ambition tour.

Posted by: Eric | Aug 16, 2007 11:42:59 AM

16. Was the flattery in this post meant as a joke? Top Chef started out as a great show, but it's slid down the razor blade of quality (like so many Bravo shows) and is now attempting to get the Simon Cowells of the world to judge. If Ciccone wasn't an asshole they would never have asked him to appear on the show.

Posted by: shane | Aug 16, 2007 11:48:29 AM

17. Troy, the contestants should be able to take the criticism, but the challenge is ridiculous (24 hours to open a restaurant? 30 minutes to train clueless waiters?). So even if Mr. Madonna's Brother has restaurant experience, he was still a dick. And being a dick to get more airtime so they show you being a dick makes no sense.

And those judges complain about everything. At one point they cried "The sorbet is SO cold!" Um, it's sorbet. It's supposed to be cold.

It was a strange episode.

Posted by: Donny B | Aug 16, 2007 12:07:01 PM

18. he's right... scented candles reek !!

Posted by: A.J. | Aug 16, 2007 12:08:41 PM

19. Sorry. He's an arrogant bitch. Don't need another one of those on TV thank you.

Posted by: ish | Aug 16, 2007 12:14:46 PM

20. Oh, who cares about Christopher Ciccone?! I want to know more about that mohwaked hottie...who is he?

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 16, 2007 12:29:34 PM

21. I used to love Top Chef, but it's definitely not what is used to be. I'll admit I am more or less a reality show junkie, especially since I can't seem to get into any nonreality television lately.

But like Gawker mentioned earlier, I really can't stand when they DON'T eliminate someone. Project Runway did that for the finale last season, if you remember, and I went postal. They HAVE to eliminate someone! Otherwise, I feel like I've wasted an hour of my life (or, more appropriately, admit I've wasted an hour of my life).

Posted by: David | Aug 16, 2007 12:35:08 PM

22. Television does not need another bitchy gay man.

Posted by: John Beene | Aug 16, 2007 12:49:58 PM

23. I can remember a time in the not too distant past when I didn’t know a single gay person the regularly watched television (or who would admit it). Now days I hear homos talk and blog about TV shows and their characters as if they are best friends with the characters or the shows writers/producers. They know what all the characters are thinking and of course which one is a “bitch”, who is “stuck up” and in general putting the un-reality of TV in to real life. This was once the domain of addlepated housewives and the mobile home hillbilly. Gays get a life turn off the TV.

Posted by: ggreen | Aug 16, 2007 1:16:06 PM

24. It's a travesty that you don't report more on Dale... Like the earlier poster, he's my favorite gay on reality T.V. today. I also have to say that Christopher Ciccone was a nightmare... I tuned out about halfway through his studiedly snotty commentary.

Is Hung really gay? I had no idea...

Posted by: Brian | Aug 16, 2007 1:40:59 PM

25. I think Hung goes both ways, or at least that's what he said in his audition tape.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 16, 2007 1:47:33 PM