Bush Appoints Anti-Gay Colts Coach Tony Dungy to Council

Indianapolis Colts coach and Super Bowl winner Tony Dungy has been asked to serve on President Bush’s Council on Service and Civic Participation, according to reports:

Dungy“The 25-member council represents leaders from government, business, entertainment, athletics and non-profit organizations committed to growing the spirit of service and civic participation.”

Dungy: “I had heard it was in the mix for a while, and it’s just an honor. It’s something we always talk about here with our team, about serving your community and being part of the community and trying to make things better. To be appointed by the President is obviously a once-in-a-lifetime type thrill. We talked a little bit about it and they called and asked if I’d be willing to serve. Of course, you would. I didn’t know how it all had to transpire. Apparently, they had to do some (background) checking and that kind of thing.”

Apparently passed muster for all the work he did last March raising money for anti-gay hate groups in Indiana.

Comments

1. Brian says

Just another demonstration of how Bush et al have given up on the majority of the country and now are catering only to the 30% of registered voters who still support him.

A douchebag appoints a tool to some worthless advisory committee. Nice.

2. Leland Frances says

Dungy’s an ass. I don’t care if he coaches Jesus & The All Stars. He’s a willingly ignorant bigot.

As for King George, I predict at least 15% of self-identified gay voters will vote Repug again in 2008. HOPING to be proved wrong but I doubt it after the 21-23% who voted for Bush again in 2004.

3. Nikk says

wow, so i guess someone who could acutally make a difference in using his celebrity to get people involved with civic participation should actually be taken out of consideration because of his stance on a TOTALLY unrelated issue. Good point. I guess according to most of you here everyone is free to have their opinions as long as they are in 100% agreement with yours. Nice.

4. Travshad says

NIKK, Everyone is free to have their opinions. No one is free from having their opinions challenged and criticized. That is what free speech is all about.

5. Derrick from Philly says

Good point ANON(GMAIL.COM). Doesn’t he have a team to coach right now.
    I don’t know what turns former athletes into fundamentalists. Maybe they used to do so much group sex that they feel all guilty, and have to find the Lord. I didn’t…feel guilty, that is. I’m still searching for the Lord, but I’ll take Reggie Bush instead.

6. So Left I'm Right says

HATE the Colts. HATE Payton Manning (rumored ‘mo, by the way)…HATE Tony Dungy, didn’t used to…great football coach, used to respect him until he decided to embrace anti-gay hate groups like the Indiana “Family” Institute http://www.365gay.com/Newscon07/03/031007dungy.htm Give me a break.

Not only that, but the story goes that his kid was gay and killed himself rather than having to deal coming out. The man should hang his head in shame and stick to football, not be out promoting hate. He should be grieving, and not have time for some bogus presidential council.

7. peterparker says

TOLIVER,

By what standards do you judge Tony Dungy as a ‘good man’? He supports the Indiana Family Institute, an organization that is one very small step away from being a hate group (and I’m giving them credit they don’t deserve). The Indiana Family Institute is vehemently anti-gay. Don’t believe me? Check this out: http://www.hoosierfamily.org/…wait a few moments for the video to start playing. And after you’re finished there, look at the link for Public Policy and see what they have to say about same sex marriage.

Oh, and one other thing: The Indiana Family Institute is closely aligned with Focus on the Family which is about as hateful toward homosexuals as any other group in America.

Now, if you think Tony Dungy is a good man after checking out those sites and knowing that he supports them then you are either a troll from the Indiana Family Institute or you need therapy something fierce.

xo,
    peterparker

8. Stephen says

Dungy appointed to President Bush’s Council on Service and Civic Participation.

Many here have denounced the appointment and personally attacked Dungy.
    It unfortunate that the tentacle of bias against homosexuals had to enter this discussion. Right now at least, it is totally unrelated to the story.
    It is amazing how quick so many are to judge the guy before he has been able to be assessed based on his work for the organization. Give the guy a chance. Don’t be so hell-bent on dismissing him.

9. peterparker says

Oh look! It’s STEPHEN, James Dobson’s personal troll and the apologist for homophobes everywhere! Hi, STEPHEN!

And by the way, STEPHEN, we’ve denounced Dungy’s appointment and personally attacked him because he’s denounced us and personally attacked us by his affiliation with a hate group called the Indiana Family Institute. Dungy has gone on record stating that he is not in favor of gay marriage and that makes him an enemy of our community.

10. peterparker says

Recently, STEPHEN has been posting here, posing as just another gay guy who happens to hold an alternate viewpoint regarding gay marriage, etc…than most homosexual men hold. But I just went back to one of Andy’s original posts about Tony Dungy and found this little gem:

“The man is standing up and promoting what he believes in. He has the right in every aspect to do what he is doing. If it upsets homosexuals that he follows his faith (and gauging from 95% of the comments here, it does), then they (homosexuals) need to ramp up their counter attack and continue to speak out for whatever it is they are seeking (sidebar: Stump for civil unions vs gay marriage and you’d fare a lot better).

I am amazed how the verb ‘hate’ is so cavalierly bandied about when someone takes an opposing viewpoint on what homosexuals are attempting to advance. Tony D., in my opinion, (nor do others) hate homosexuals. They believe differently, with a majority of them basing their opinion and belieefs on a religious / Christian foundation.
    It would make more sense for homosexuals to denounce those who are NOT religiously affiliated in their opposition to gays.
    Consider the religious, et al. as a lost cause and pursue other avenues, groups, etc. to voice & promote your agenda.

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 22, 2007 8:38:50 AM

Notice the use of phrases like ‘…your agenda’ and ‘they (homosexuals) need to…’. Looks like I was correct in my previous post and STEPHEN really is simply a troll volunteering for Focus on the Family. Let’s all make it a point to tell STEPHEN what a sorry, bigoted piece of shit he is (not to mention a lousy Christian). Hey STEPHEN…suck my cock, you scumbag!

xo,
    peterparker

11. mj says

Tom Dungy is an @sshole. Period. “He’s a winning pro coach.” “Does faith-based community service.” Blah Blah Blah. Sorry no good. Anybody who is an evangelical and supports Focus on the Family and the rest of the hate-spewers deserves to be criticized. Maybe we should consider just how “good” the man is: his late son was berated so much and so often by Dungy (for not being “man” enough) into committing what is the ultimate act of desperation and escape.

12. mj says

13. Stephen says

Oh my, I guess I struck a nerve there, heh peterparker?

Dungy’s appointment has NOTHING to do with his opposition to homosexuality.

You contaminate the topic by dredging your agenda into something TOTALLY unrelated.

Try a little tenderness.

14. Zeke says

PeterParker, I’ve been TRYING to tell everybody here that for a long time now. I discovered that Stephen wasn’t gay a long time ago. I also finally got him to divulge that the source of his anti-gay views is his TRUE Christianity and the fact that he believes that we are all an abomination.

He continually claimed that his sexual orientation wasn’t relevant to the discussion but I believe many here will disagree.

His compassion troll facade has been wearing thin of late. Now that he is being challenged directly his temper has come through and along with it more revelations about who and what he really is.

I called him a Focus on the Family troll MONTHS ago. It’s pretty clear now that I was right.

And Stephen, how do YOU know that Dungy’s appointment had “NOTHING to do with his opposition to homosexuality?” How do YOU know what it had to do with or didn’t have to do with. Is there anything else you would like to tell us? Are you privy to Bush’s inner sanctum? Are you James Dobson’s right hand man? Do you know Dungy personally?

Come on Stephen it’s time to come COMPLETELY clean.

I think it’s pitiful that Stephen has nothing better to do than troll around gay websites. He is clearly either a deeply closeted homo or a straight man that is so obsessed with homosexuality (like Perkins and LaBarbara) that he can’t enjoy his own heterosexuality. Either way it’s sad. We should pity him.

And a question to Tony a man who I, a Tampa resident and Buc fan, USED to respect and adore (before I realized that the faith that he espoused was a faith of exclusion and fundamentalism):

When you say, “It’s something we always talk about here with our team, about serving your community and being part of the community and trying to make things better.” I have to ask, “Better for whom”?

15. Brian says

“so i guess someone who could acutally make a difference in using his celebrity to get people involved with civic participation should actually be taken out of consideration because of his stance on a TOTALLY unrelated issue. ”

I don’t agree. A man who supports a hate group like Focus on the Family will not encourage civic participation that will in any way foster equality and fairness.

16. John says

Gay Christians need to grow some balls and start defending their faith. Old Testament lunacy is just that. The people who run around quoting that idiotic portion of the Bible are lunatics!

Stephen, fuck off. :-)

17. Gianpiero says

Even apart from the man’s homophobia, placing a football figure on this council makes no sense. Isn’t the cult of football, and the hundreds of millions of hours that people spend each year on it (watching it, following it, talking about it, shopping for it, driving the kids to practice, etc.) one of the reasons they have no time for civic participation? What could Coach Dungheap or any figure really do that would be as effective as saying, “You know, you should pay less attention to us and more attention to your own communities.” But, you know, that’s not gonna happen, is it?

18. Mark says

It’s clear that Stephen is not fully disclosing and has a hidden agenda. He betrays his hidden intentions. He often refers to gay people as the more clinical word “homosexuals”…religious rightists always refer to gay people as homosexuals (just watch them on TV). They won’t give an inch on that. Gay people rarely do (how many of your friends refer to themselves as “homosexual”). I mean, come on…

Hi Stephen. Being disingenuous seems worse than being outwardly anti-gay. How about you stop hiding behind your smoke so we can see the fire?

19. Stephen says

Mark,

I’ll grant you that “gay” is much smoother going down – so to speak – than using the word homosexual. But that’s exactly why the change was made, so that others, when referring to homosexuals and lesbians didn’t have to use such an “offensive” word. Are the majority of gays embarrassed about this?

I don’t have any hidden agenda. I simply believe that marriage is between a male and a female. I support all the rights that homosexuals and lesbians seek in the campaign, but there is a sexual difference, hence, there is rationale for calling it a civil union (It’s exactly what approx. 90% of the presidential candidates also believe).

20. John says

Stephen,

I am a homosexual — no shame here. I don’t find the word offensive in the least. It does sound rather clinical to most people so I use gay or queer.

BTW, I apologize for telling you to “fuck off” earlier. Tempers do flare.

21. Stephen says

John,
    Hey, apology accepted.

I cannot fathom why so many gay & lesbians are so hard-lined with this “all or nothing” militant attitude. Unfortunately, it’s that exact type that gives the community a bad name and has heterosexuals looking at the homosexual and lesbian community with a jaundiced eye.

22. Zeke says

Once again I call bullshit on you Stephen. You DO have a hidden agenda and you’re unwillingness to admit to why you use the word “homosexual” as a noun, outside of a clinical context, is just another giveaway of where you’re coming from.

You actively hid the fact that you were not gay for a long time. You actively hid that you believe that TRUE Christians believe that homosexuality is ungodly and an abomination, until recently. You hid the fact that you post under multiple screen names, all agreeing with or defending your point of view and all attacking those who challenge you. And you continue to act as if your only issue with “homosexuals” is the marriage issue.

Don’t lecture me or anyone else here about OUR community or how we should feel or how we should act. Don’t presume to be an authority on what we call ourselves or chastise us for not wanting to be labeled in clinical terms. Stick with your own damned community and fix it’s problems and leave us to take care of our own. TRUST ME you will have your hands full fixing all the things (INCLUDING MARRIAGE) that straight people have fucked up.

You lecture us about the appropriateness of the term “homosexual” and then say “homosexuals and lesbians”. NEWSFLASH Einstein: Lesbians ARE homosexuals! The fact that you call gay men homosexuals and lesbians lesbians gives even more insight into your ignorance. Just like your buds Tony Perkins, James Dobson and Lou Sheldon, and most other “compassionate” homophobes you are almost entirely concerned with, and focused on, and bothered by, gay MALES.

Your obsession with all things gay, um “homosexual” is truly disturbing.

Sorry John, I think you had it right the first time.

23. Stephen says

My “agenda” consists of speaking out for that which I believe to be true, as do most of the presidential candidates (and illions of Americans): That marriage is between a man and a woman.
    Perhaps Zeke ought to save his keystrokes for typing letters to the candidates. See if he can change their mind.

24. Zeke says

As a matter of fact I do exactly that and when I do I write them under ONE name rather than trying to make my opinion sound more popular by writing them under numerous different names.

That’s because I’m honest and straight forward with my identity, my agenda and the foundation of my beliefs. I don’t hide in the fog of misinformation or use smoke and mirrors of multiple identities with multiple personalities to mislead people here.

How about you Stephen? Can you say the same?

Are you ready to be embarrassed?

25. Zeke says

Would that be like the millions of people who believed that slavery was just fine and approved by God (and backed up their belief with their Christian faith and Bible verses and what THEY called “common sense”)?

Would that be like the “millions of people” who believed that it was just peachy that women were relegated legally to second class citizen status with no property or voting rights (and backed up their belief with their Christian faith and Bible verses and what THEY called “common sense”)?

Would that be like the “millions of people” who believed that it should be against the law for people of different races to marry (and backed up their belief with their Christian faith and Bible verses and what THEY called “common sense”)?

Would that be like the “millions of people” who believed that African-Americans should be segregated, given separate but equal access to goods and services (that were ALWAYS separate but NEVER equal), not allowed to vote, and were intended to be subservient because of a misinterpretation of the Bible (and backed up their belief with their Christian faith and Bible verses and what THEY called “common sense”)?

Would that be like the “millions of people” who believe that gay people choose their sexual orientation; believe that “homosexual” people have A “lifestyle; believe that the opposite of good is gay, the opposite of Christian is gay, the opposite of “family values” is gay; all while believing that gay = unmanly, gay = pedophile, gay = drug abuser, gay = pervert, gay = anti-family/anti-God/anti-Christian/anti-values/anti-moral?

“Millions of people” have believed each and every one of the things listed above Stephen. In fact, the MAJORITY of people used to believe in each and every one of the things listed above. Would you deny that this is true?

Is the “millions of people believe blah blah blah” the best argument you’ve got there Stephen?

26. Zeke says

You “could” but will you?

I don’t think you can without giving yourself away even more.

Please don’t “rebutt” my points. That sounds kinky.

However, I CHALLENGE you to rebut them, one and all.

27. peterparker says

So, it’s become pretty apparent at this point that STEPHEN won’t answer my question about whether or not ‘he’ is a man who has sex with other men. Therefore, it seems pretty clear that STEPHEN is not gay and has come here with an agenda.

28. Zeke says

I guess STEPHEN doesn’t want to answer your question PETERPARKER. :(

He’s still waiting to get the answers to my questions faxed to him from Focus on the Anus headquarters where they have a full time staff of spin meisters on call to assist when heretics like me ask such problematic questions as the straight forward ones I asked above.

That’s OK STEPHEN, I can wait.

In the meantime, just for kicks, let’s review the Focus on the Anus Playbook for how to handle problematic questions:

1) If you can’t answer, stall. 2) If you can’t stall, confuse. 3) If you can’t confuse, elude. 4) If you can’t elude, deny. 5) If you can’t deny, lie. 6) If you can’t lie, attack!

If that’s too complicated you can use the one step shortcut version. Most conservatives and fundamentalists do:

If you can’t answer…attack!

Rinse and repeat!

These tactics can also be found in the GOP playbook.