Don Imus | News

Don Imus Settles with CBS, Now Free to Spew Again

ImusRadio shock jock Don Imus, who lost his CBS radio show in mid-April following outrage over his racist, sexist, and classist comments regarding the Rutgers women's basketball team, has settled with CBS: "The terms of the settlement will not be disclosed, according to the CBS statement. The settlement pre-empts the dismissed DJ's threatened $120 million breach-of-contract lawsuit."

Drudge is reporting that the settlement is to the tune of $20 million.

And Imus is reportedly in talks to resume his career at WABC radio.

You may have missed...
Turned Off: Don Imus Loses CBS Radio Show [tr]
MSNBC Cans Imus as Debate on Hate Speech Rages [tr]

Comments

1. Don Imus is a fucking bigoted piece of shit. Anyone who picks up Imus should lose their job. I hope his new show tanks.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 14, 2007 2:33:23 PM

2. As a black man I am pleased that Don Imus will be back on the air!!

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to August, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots and small minded win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

Posted by: TheTruth | Aug 14, 2007 3:06:01 PM

3. He gets $20M for being an offensive, rasist asshole? Nice precedent. Can only imagine what happens on "The View" next.

Posted by: Rad | Aug 14, 2007 3:34:51 PM

4. Well now that you've shat all over yourself "TheTruth," before it gets cold, permit me to point out to you your two fallacies, after mentioning that this seems to be a dated copy/paste of a tirade you wrote months ago.

1. All of the problems that you complain about within and around the Black community have a connection with white racism—put most simply, in how it contributes to the self-fulfilling, self-destructive behaviors. Imus was a certified perpetuator of that racism with an ugly record that goes back years before his slur agaisnt the Rutgers women. It doesn't matter if, as you claim, they had never heard of him before. It does not matter if a single Black person has ever listened to Imus, though, of course some have, even appearing on his show. What matters is the constant stream of toxins he poured into the minds of his millions of white, straight male listerners about Blacks and women and Hispanics and Asians and gays of all races. Which, again, contribute to [but ARE no excuse for] the crises in the Black community.

2. You are guilty of First Degree Logical Fallacy. Specifically, the belief that one must fight "either/or." Either Imus or psychotic rappers, et al. We can and MUST fight both.

PS: King's speech was closer to 16 minutes.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Aug 14, 2007 3:38:25 PM

5. My, to be so rich, but so ugly. If I had his money I wouldn't mind being a nappy-headed 'mo. But, of course, I hate rich people, I'm a Democrat.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 14, 2007 3:49:58 PM

6. The Truth (Be told)...you make a good overall point, but you's a long-winded queen...you could'v said the same thing in about 5 less paragraphs...(don't worry tho' Leland started off with the occassional thesis-length comment too)...less preachy too...or is the pulpit your ultimate destination. Overall A for effort and conviction, but B for content and organization. oh yeah, "you go girl".

Posted by: El Critique | Aug 14, 2007 4:17:24 PM

7. "THE TRUTH" according to the Alan Keyes and Clarence Thomas,"blame the brown people and faggots first" school of thought.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 14, 2007 4:44:16 PM

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grnRRSPYEg

Posted by: madge | Aug 14, 2007 6:59:04 PM

9. Thank you Madge the video was outstanding and clear.

Zeke, how are what you are doing any different blame the "white" man. The leaders in the black hip hop world have done far more damage than Don Imus.

I have taught for the past 17 years within inner city public school of Chicago and Seattle. After this story broke I spoke with my young students’ 14-16 y/o and asked their reactions. Honestly, they did not see what the point was; they hear it all the time. My favorite response came from a girl who said, "he was just repeating what we call each other, he got caught up in it.” Also so many of them "never" heard of Don Imus. I asked them think about all the songs, that degrade black women and make a list with name and artists during their lunch time for a little extra credit. Oh you do not want to see what is out there and how easily they came up with the list in less than thirty minutes, off the top of their heads. It is staggering how many songs were not repeated...you want a number 175+ that they knew of. Yeah I checked many of them on a lyrics webpage (on my own time).

Before anyone defends these rappers and musical artists...how can you talk about b$#%$#$ and H^#%, when you have millions of dollars. Growing up in the projects of Chicago (Robert Taylor Homes), my brother and I would put together our own raps from our lives. Yeah there were nasty words in it, but we kept it mostly to ourselves. Trust me the inner cities of this nation, do not need the voices of these "artists" they have their own way of spreading their words and their style. Also make no mistake many of us make it out in mind, body and spirit still singing our song deep in our hearts.

These black artists from 50Cents, TI and so many others are nothing but the black overseer in the field on the plantation. Protecting their privileged status lives while whipping and degrading the slaves to keep them blinded that they are no where near them in their lives. Also using these impoverished people in their video to increase their credibility is sickening. It is sad because these hip hop moguls are not building shelters, opening an after school program for teenagers. They are about the almighty dollar while poisoning the minds of so many black youngsters.

With that in mind, I have made it a point to address these issues in my classroom for the last 17 years to dispel the rumors about what it takes to be "black" and to "respect yourself". I challenge them to dress differently (from the baggy or tight clothes) and to see how they perceive themselves. It is amazing how many have so much more respect by wearing what they consider “church clothes” to school.

Maybe I have a different viewpoint; I watched so many of my friends dead or in prison before 21. I can not tell you the sorrow in my heart as I saw so many make choices that doomed them because it was determined that is what it took to get respect. Can you imagine seeing a stream of girls pregnant before 14 years of age? I watched so many of my friends die a thousand different ways; it would stagger your senses and dull your heart. So many friends dead: Terrence (shot in the face), Mia (raped and burned), Keith (thrown out of the window), Dewayne (shot), Charisse (13 died during childbirth), Tyrone (killed by a stranger with a bat), Jamal (killed in a crossfire), and yes my brother Elridge (armed robbery, attempted murder) now on his 20th year in prison and only 39. You all get to spew your words from your comfortable space in life. Do you interact with these children, white, black, Asian etc that have given up on themselves because they see no options?

Posted by: TheTruth | Aug 14, 2007 7:46:16 PM

10. Those girls he said looked like "nappy headed hos" would never have known about the statement if some trouble-making media whores hadn't rushed right to them to tattle.

Posted by: Joe T. | Aug 14, 2007 9:53:04 PM

11. I'm not going to get into all the politics of what Imus said, it was dumb, stupid and ignorant and gave a platform for the "do gooders" to expout their pontifications. I have listened to Imus since the 70's when he first came to the NYC Radio Market. I for one am glad a settlement has been made with CBS so Imus can get on with his life and back on the air/sat waves. Until July of '06 I worked for CBS Radio until the pencil monkeys at Black Rock decided to layoff 120 of us in the Radio Division across the country. And then CBS firing Imus, one of the big cash cows for CBS. Well that assinine decision hasn't helped my CBS stock any. One more cavein as far as I'm concerned. Sure, suspend him, give him community service, whatever, but fire him, dumb, dumber & dumbest. And for those of you who may have given MSNBC kudos for dumping him first, well I hate to burst your bubble, but the Imus On MSNBC show was broadcast on a delay. If the staffers in charge were so offended by what Imus said that morning, they could have bleeped it. Some much for their self-righteous pontifications. I for one will be glad when The I Man is back, I'm just sorry he won't be back with CBS to get my stock back up.

Posted by: Lyndon Evans | Aug 14, 2007 10:28:46 PM

12. I won't argue with you THETRUTH. You mix just enough poison into the pie to make it both tasty and dangerous.

Anyone here can do a Towleroad search of your comments and they will see a person who is bitter and angry over issues of race and sexual orientation and more than willing to defend racists and homophobes while blaming the black and gay communities exclusively for ALL of their problems.

Do you really take offense at my comparing you to Alan Keyes and Clarence Thomas? Somehow I doubt it.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 14, 2007 11:14:02 PM

13. We all have different points of view Zeke that are shaped by various factors of which we are not always in control of. I come here to Towleroad and other blogs to express my viewpoint. While I understand and accept that it may not be the status quo or most popular thought it is mine and I stand behind it.

Furthermore, I am not here to change your mind not at all. If you take something away that is for you; I do not ask for notification of this change either good or bad. I have been moved by others in various fashions however I will digest it in my own good time.

Over my life and teaching career (30+ years) I have been in the trenches with these communities, children and adults. I stay at my school and the boys club most nights until 6PM working with these students and families. Assisting with tax forms, housing documents, and the list is endless. Can you (Zeke) say the same? These people are hungry for a change but unsure how to take the first step or maybe the second. I ask them to increase the time with themselves. Sometimes we (adults and children) sit and mediate for 15 minutes or more; you would not believe the pain they feel and why they distract themselves. But more importantly you would not believe how many want to do it again and again because they feel better. Every little but helps break the shell of the caricature.

No one ethnic group can lay all of their problems on the “white man”. You have to go deeper and find what is holding you back. It is unfair to be limited by a perceived threat. Sure, racism exists for many but how many do not try out of fear and a desire to remain a victim.

In closing, maybe you (Zeke) were expecting some sort of vile and rampant exchange to what you have written in regards to me but I will never be that person. I am not that easily provoked into illicit negative tirades against an unseen person. I am far better than that and will always be.

Posted by: TheTruth | Aug 15, 2007 1:21:00 AM

14. THETRUTH nails this one: Imus is this old radio talk show host who should be ignored, especially when one considers how black people (mostly young) demean themselves and perpetuate the negative stereotype with their in-house dialogue, gangsta music (pleasantly referred to as hip-hop) and sexual control over females.
    Look within first. Imus soon to be re-hired? No surprise. But he can (and should) more readily be ignored. What needs to be examined and changed is the attitude of blacks who let this continue. THETRUTH seems to be doing some good in his classrooms.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 15, 2007 4:03:36 AM

15. Black radio isn't owned by or programmed by blacks though. They don't have ultimate control over hip-hop. I don't know what corporation runs black radio, but I remember seeing a piece on TV (I think 60 Minutes) about how hip-hop stations are all programmed by a middle-aged white women with a background in country music. I remember hearing about that again on a radio show I occasionally listen to with a black host.

It's white owned radio corporations who are pushing the mindless gangsta rap. There's actually a lot of political rap that never gets mainstream play. There's supposed to be tons of anti-Bush rap for instance, much more so than white rock anti-bush music.

Posted by: Johnny | Aug 15, 2007 5:32:31 AM

16. Johnny,
    Just as it is in the case of Imus (if he returns to the airwaves), it is ultimately up to the black artists and those listening and mimmicking them to look within themselves and stop the offensive behavior, change the negative attitude - no matter who's funding the programs, etc.

Of course, it remains to be seen but don't you think think Imus has learned from his gaffe?

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 15, 2007 6:45:02 AM

17. If they aren't programming their own stations, how can they change the image of rap? That old country music hag has them by the balls.

I goggled around and found the person I'm referring too. Unfortunately she doesn't seem to have a Wiki page, but I found this article discussing her:

MR. MCLAUGHLIN: I have a name of a Radio One executive, and that executive is a white middle-aged female. She determines much of the content of urban radio broadcasts, and she controls the playlist. Do you know who I'm talking about?

MS. FAGER: Yes, Mary Katherine Snead at Radio One. She also came from country music.

MR. MCLAUGHLIN: Well, what do you think about this person that has such control over urban radio broadcasts? Is she reflective of the communities that she serves?

MS. FAGER: She is reflective of the executives in the community that she serves. But she is not reflective of the people who listen.

Scroll down halfway on this page if you want to confirm this (I put the URL in the URL blank, I assume that turns my name into a link.)

Posted by: Johnny | Aug 15, 2007 7:01:48 AM

18. Can you (Zeke) say the same?

THETRUTH, if you read this blog at all you would know that the answer to your question is YES as a matter of fact I DO.

And if you are claiming that I would engage you in a "vile and rampant exchange", once again you show your ignorance of me and my style of discourse.

Stephen is the only person here who has raised my temper and even then ONLY after he continually disrespected my relationship and called my son illegitimate and unnatural. The ONLY time I have EVER reacted in anger here is when my family was attacked or disrespected. Check the archives.

I agree with much, if not most of what you have to say TT, but I very much see a pattern of anger and bitterness toward both the black and gay communities being expressed in each of your comments.

You can be polite AND offensive at the same time. Please don't confuse the two.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 15, 2007 12:54:03 PM

19. I have to disagree with you boys about the black programming nonsense you folks have written. WZMX in Hartford, Ct (part of the CBS Radio Group I worked for until 7/06) is programmed by blacks. In fact all the WZMX programming staff are black with the exception of two on-air women who are white. So you folks talk a good game, but unless you have worked or work in the radio business, you shouldn't be making comments which are not true,comments which don't know how to disprove and will take at your face value. And another clarification, there are a number of radio groups and individual radio stations that are minority owned. If you are going to blame anyone, then put the blame on the artists and record companies. If the crap wasn't produced to begin with, it wouldn't get airtime.

Posted by: Lyndon Evans | Aug 15, 2007 9:26:57 PM

20. Mary Katherine Snead bitch, featured on 60 Minutes, talked about on urban political radio, and easily googled as "determines much of the content of urban radio broadcasts, and she controls the playlist." The fact that *some* urban stations are black owned is supposed to disprove that? "WZMX in Hartford Ct" is anecdotal evidence, Snead determines "much" of the content of urban radio broadcasts, most of it, not all of it.

unless you have worked or work in the radio business"

Oh, unless I've worked in the radio business, I have to defer to your all-knowingness about all things radio, even when it flies in the face on a piece I saw on 60 Minutes, heard discussed on the radio, and then found confirmation about on the web, the first time I tried to google for information about her (without knowing her name.) But never mind all of that, Lyndon Evans once worked for radio, and as such is the all-knowing font of radio knowledge. Oh please Lyndon, regale us with more fascinating stories about your days at WZMX, we're all ears!

Posted by: Johnny | Aug 16, 2007 12:26:23 AM

21. Well Johnny, aren't we bitchy today. I went ahead and goggled Snead and I found on the Website "Industry Ears" a transcript from Mclaughlin (One on One) dated Sept 1 2005, where in the transcript your friend Snead is discussed and at the time worked for Radio One. In the discussion it talks of Ms. Sneads programming decisions for Radio One stations only, NOT ALL urban stations across the country. The point I was making in the post above, is that readers of the other posts would be lead to believe that Ms. Snead is in charge of all Urban Radio Stations across the US (which is a laughable concept in and of itself), which is far from the truth. I threw out the fact I worked for CBS Radio to add some credibility to my posting, something apparently lost on you my dear friend.
    So that's my rebuttal, and I give only, as I don't know about you dear, but I have more important things in life to do than go back and forth on an opinion page. Folks, believe what you want to. I just threw out some info for you. Take it or leave it as you will. Signing off (that's radio lingo Dear Johnny)

Posted by: Lyndon Evans | Aug 16, 2007 3:33:15 AM