Music | Music Recommendations | News | Pet Shop Boys

BigGayDeal.com

Music News: Anton Corbijn Takes Control, Plus Keri Hilson, Adam Levine, The Killers

Control1

GuestbloggerPlease welcome Robbie Daw, who will be penning occasional music posts for us here on Towleroad! Robbie runs his own pop music site called Chart Rigger.

Just as seminal U.K. dance act New Order appear to be on the verge of imploding, Control -- rock photographer Anton Corbijn's biopic of doomed Joy Division lead singer Ian Curtis -- is set to be released in the States on October 10 by The Weinstein Company. Manchester-based Joy Division were signed to Factory Records and managed by recently-deceased indie mogul Tony Wilson (whose own life was portrayed in the 2002 film 24 Hour Party People) in the late 1970s. Two of their most well-known songs are "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "She's Lost Control."

Joy Division unraveled when 23-year-old Curtis, who suffered from epilepsy, committed suicide in 1980 just as the band was about to embark on their first U.S. tour. Remaining members Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook and Stephen Morris carried on, rechristening themselves as New Order.

Control stars relative unkown Sam Riley as Ian Curtis. The film picked up a handful of awards at the Cannes Film Festival in May, and just this past weekend won the best new British feature category at the Edinburgh international film festival.

Here's a trailer that circulated around the time of Cannes (with French subtitles):

The film is based on the book Touching From A Distance, written by Curtis' widow, Deborah.

Kerihilson_inside_2road.jpg Keri Hilson has written songs for Mary J. Blige, Usher and Britney Spears, and she's currently enjoying a hit with Timbaland's "The Way I Are," on which she performs vocal duties. So, naturally, people really want to know what kind of guys the 24-year-old likes to get with. Here's what Hilson had to say when asked if she likes to "play in the snow" in an interview with King magazine: "I never have. It’s a preference. I like chocolate candy, chocolate men, etc." Keri continues: "I don’t date industry dudes. I can’t say it’s not worth trying, but it’s not my cup of tea. I like real go-getters and entrepreneurs...but I tell my girlfriends that I’ll take a broke good man over an already-rich man. It’s so much more important that he’s a Christian and has goals."

road.jpg On the flip side, in a Rolling Stone cover story, Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine responds to The New York Post dubbing him a "man-whore": "It's funny how they latch on to you. By 'man-whore,' they mean '28-year-old guy who fell into a good situation and had fun.' I was dabbling, hanging out, partying, drinking, giving hugs, doing other things we won't talk about. It was the hedonistic part of my brain. But was I seriously dating anybody who was a famous person? No. It was flattering, but I got credit for a lot of things I didn't do."

After the jump — The Killers, Pet Shop Boys, Dannii Minogue, Billy Corgan, and this week's new releases...

Brandon_flowers_2road.jpg The Killers' third album will be out by year's end, and will consist of B-sides culled from their European singles, two songs from movie soundtracks (Spiderman 3 and Closer) and a new duet with Lou Reed, which is being recorded this week in New York with producers Flood and Alan Moulder. Additionally, singer Brandon Flowers told Billboard the band will be releasing another Christmas single -- "Don't Shoot Me, Santa" -- for the Red Campaign. He says the one they did last year, "A Great Big Sled," raised over $100,000 for the AIDS charity.

road.jpg Pet Shop Boys will release Disco 4 on September 24, three days before their one-off show at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles. The Disco series began in 1986 and typically featured remixes of the Boys' own singles as well as new songs. However, the latest disc will mostly be comprised of mixes Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe have done for other artists over the years, including Madonna ("Sorry"), David Bowie ("Hallo Spaceboy"), The Killers ("Read My Mind") and Yoko Ono ("Walking On Thin Ice"). The eight-song set will also contain the previously-unreleased "PSB Perfect Immaculate Mix" of their own track, "Integral."

road.jpg NEWS BITES: Dannii Minogue lesbian stripper photos resurface. [NSFW]

Kylie Minogue not likely to watch Enrique Iglesias' new video.

Foxy Brown simply does not do public showers...especially at Rikers.

Billy Corgan: "American girls are sluts".

At the eleventh hour, key member of Phil Spector's defense team quits.

Teens prefer Akon and Vanessa Hudgens to Mika and Amy Winehouse.

On the heels of Kanye West's "Stronger," everything's gone Daft Punk.

41wshmwgjel_aa240_road.jpg TODAY'S NEW RELEASES: Beatles' legend Ringo Starr's Photograph: The Digital Greatest Hits.

Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals' Lifeline, which was recorded over just seven days in Paris.

Bay-area soul singer Ledisi's Lost & Found.

'90s post-grunge band Collective Soul's Afterwords. Though the album is downloadable through iTunes, the CD is only available in Target stores.

Carrie Underwood's new single, "So Small," Dolly Parton's single "Better Get to Livin," and Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan's single, "Kingdom."

Comments

1. Hey Rob, Welcome!
    Adam levine is hot, that's all.

Posted by: Davey | Aug 28, 2007 2:17:14 PM

2. How is Control even remotely gay? I thought Towleroad covered gay news and items of LGBT interest.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 28, 2007 2:31:06 PM

3. CONTROL was the best thing in Cannes this year. And Daft Punk's ELECTROMA...last year.
    There, I said it.

Posted by: no-no | Aug 28, 2007 2:33:48 PM

4. Maroon 5=Backstreet Boys/N Sync/98 Degrees

Keri Hilson sounds like a stupid twat. Who is she?

The Minogues are about as talented as The Spice Girls. Why are gay men obsessed with them?

American Idol is The Pinnacle of Mediocrity. Why is America obsessed with the people who have been on that show?

Who in the hell are Akon and Vanessa Hudgens?

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 28, 2007 2:34:09 PM

5. Sean, it's funny that of all the things in this column which is "remotely gay", you ask about Control. Joy Division and New Order have had tons of LGBT fans over the last three decades.

Posted by: Bundy | Aug 28, 2007 2:40:07 PM

6. I have to say that I really enjoyed this post! Welcome to the blog!

Posted by: Steve | Aug 28, 2007 2:47:02 PM

7. I really like the idea for this column, but so far I am underwhelmed. A lot of what you post here is just celebrity gossip that happens to be about musicians. That's not music news.

This column would be much more successful if you wrote about the music itself.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2007 3:03:12 PM

8. I'm going to echo CRISPY's comments about being underwhelmed with this column. But I'm underwhelmed for a different reason. Most of the bands you write about are mediocre musicians who have achieved success primarily because a record company saw a way to package them and mass market them (witness Shayne Ward, Maroon 5, the Minogues, Jordan Sparks and anyone else from American Idol, Celine Dion, The Spice Girls, etc...). These folks are the Wonder Bread of the music industry. Talentless and without taste.

I really wish you'd report on musicians who push the boundaries of music and are therefore artists in the truest sense of the word. I'd much rather hear about musicians like The Decemberists, Autolux, Radiohead, !!!, Matmos, Apples in Stereo, LCD Soundsystem, Broken Social Scene, Cat Power, The White Stripes, Four Tet, Feist, The Klaxons, Boards of Canada, Mum, etc...

In short, more meat and veggies and less Wonder Bread, please. But I will give you props for one thing, though: you haven't mentioned Scissor Sisters not once!! (thank you for that).

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 28, 2007 3:38:45 PM

9. Bundy, I realize that Joy Division has LGBT fans but that doesn't really make this film relevent. I'm sure John C. Reilly has gay fans but I don't come here to read about his latest film. This music post is rather lame. It needs to be more gay-centric.

Posted by: sean | Aug 28, 2007 3:43:40 PM

10. Every gay (or alternative/questioning) boy I knew in high school loved Joy Division, and they've influenced hundreds (if not thousands) of bands since then. As for New Order, they released dozens of singles played in every gay bar in the world in the 1980s. I found the information about Control extremely interesting and relevant. I like the column, even if I may not like or care about many of the bands---you can skip those parts, you know.

Posted by: Paul | Aug 28, 2007 3:55:06 PM

11. "It needs to be more gay-centric."

Ugh, I would argue exactly the opposite. Sean, people like you disturb me. There's tons of great music that you're depriving yourself of because it's not "gay."

You're pathetic. Go back to sipping your lattes in Chelsea and listening to crap like Mika.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2007 4:01:42 PM

12. GImme a P E T E R!

I have to agree. When did gay men go from having the best taste in music to the worst? Why are the lowest common denominators the most revered when it seem that in the past the most subversive trend busting artist were the favs.

The bid for mainstream has been won and with it taste has been lost.

Posted by: Br!on | Aug 28, 2007 4:04:17 PM

13. "The Way I Are"?

Posted by: Timothy | Aug 28, 2007 4:15:42 PM

14. Crispy, you're an idiot, but I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I never said I listen to Mika, which I don't . I just think that a gay-specific web site should offer gay-secific material, which this lame-o column neglects to do.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 28, 2007 4:15:58 PM

15. a music post of Andy's new seasonal faves is way overdue... i miss those entries !!
    Andy's music preferences are appropriate and absolutely appreciated on his own blog, as are music news items posted as they occur... but these guest edited posts will never please the diverse Towleroad visitors. Musical taste is such a personalized view (qualified by generation, region, education, background, stimulants, testosterone ...etc), that perhaps these round-ups are best left off Towleroad.

Posted by: A.J | Aug 28, 2007 4:16:14 PM

16. Sean, I'm guessing you also don't approve of the wonderful eclipse pictures posted here earlier today because the moon wasn't pink and dripping with confetti.

You're like a bad gay stereotype. Enjoy your one-dimensional life.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2007 4:34:48 PM

17. A site catering to the tastes of gay men will not narrowly confine itself to the products of homosexual artists. Anything else is not "taste", it's force-feeding.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 28, 2007 4:55:57 PM

18. I think the problem with this column is that the content can be read on a myriad of other web sites. There's nothing in it that seems of specific interest to the people who come to towleroad for LGBT news. And Crispy, you need to get over yourself. You're rude and insulting and prone to perpetuating the negative stereotypes.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 28, 2007 5:47:24 PM

19. Sean: are you going to complain that the Tech News every Saturday isn't gay enough as well? Or his science news?

For the record, New Order's success led to the building of the Hacienda nightclub here in Manchester, a club which regularly hosted the Flesh gay disco nights during a time when there were few gay clubs in Manchester at all. The band materially helped the local gay scene, okay?

Posted by: John C | Aug 28, 2007 5:57:59 PM

20. Why would you come to this column for music news? Andy obviously talks about the music he likes--pop music--if you want cutting edge musicians you're on the wrong site. I like a lot of pop music myself--I also like some more extreme stuff--but I don't depend on blogs like this one to validate my taste in music.

Posted by: db | Aug 28, 2007 8:42:37 PM

21. I too miss Andy's I-Tunes pics. But I dig this column. Sometimes I read it, sometimes I skim it and sometimes I skip it. That's what being a consumer of mass market journalism is about, no?

And, I know I'm coloring myself ignoramus here, but who's Joy Division?

Posted by: Derrick | Aug 28, 2007 11:14:09 PM

22. "...who's Joy Division?"!!!!!!!!

If we trace DERRICK's IP address we are sure to find Osama bin Laden because anyone who doesn't know Joy Division must be living in a cave in Afghanistan.

I'm just teasing DERRICK. But I am a bit surprised you've never heard of Joy Division.

Joy Division was one of the seminal post-punk bands. They were truly great, and they influenced many, many other great bands such as U2, The Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, etc....

Joy Division's sound was (at the time) extremely unusual. They had a sound that was at once filled with doom while never ever sounding depressing. At the turn of the millennium John Peel asked listeners to vote for the all time Festive 50. Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" was #3 (20 years after its release!) and they had three other songs in that list.

When the lead singer of Joy Division committed suicide in 1980 the rest of the group renamed themselves New Order, a band that went on to an even greater following than Joy Division.

If you've never heard Joy Division, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 28, 2007 11:55:50 PM

23. I like this column! This column keeps the middle aged hausfraus who frequent this site in touch with the current pop music scene! Where's the harm in that? I cry for anyone, gay or straight, who doesn't know who New Order, Joy Division and Vanessa Hudgens are. People, get real! Anyone craving news about edgy hipster bands should probably just spend the day at Pitchfork and get over it for awhile.

Posted by: Jobriath | Aug 29, 2007 12:02:39 AM

24. Thanks Peter! I had no idea, seriously. I had heard of them, but just in passing, ya know. I also don't really know too much about New Order *ducks*. I guess I have some researching to do. Thank God for the internet.

Posted by: Derrick | Aug 29, 2007 8:33:41 PM

25. All the people complaining about the content on this site--you know you don't have to read it.

Posted by: db | Aug 29, 2007 8:49:23 PM