Idaho | Larry Craig | News | Tucker Carlson

Tucker Carlson Admits Assaulting Man Who Hit on Him in Restroom

On MSNBC Live last night, MSNBC General Manager Dan Abrams, Tucker Carlson, and Joe Scarborough discussed the Larry Craig story. As the other anchors laugh, Carlson recounts how he once returned with a friend to a public men's room where a man had "bothered" him and proceeded to assault the guy.

Transcript via Media Matters.

CARLSON: I have. I've been bothered in Georgetown Park. When I was in high school.

ABRAMS: Really?

CARLSON: Yes.

SCARBOROUGH: Wow.

[[DIALOGUE OMITTED]]

ABRAMS: Tucker, what did you do, by the way? What did you do when he did that? We got to know.

CARLSON: I went back with someone I knew and grabbed the guy by the -- you know, and grabbed him, and -- and --

ABRAMS: And did what?

CARLSON: Hit him against the stall with his head, actually!

[laughter]

CARLSON: And then the cops came and arrested him. But let me say that I'm the least anti-gay right-winger you'll ever meet --

[laughter]

CARLSON: -- but I do think doing this in men's rooms appears to be common. It's totally wrong, and they should knock it off. I mean that. I think it's -- I can't bring my son to the men's room at the park where he plays soccer because of all these creepy guys hanging around in there. I actually think it's a problem. I'm sorry.

UPDATE:

Daily KOS is calling on MSNBC to fire Carlson, and for Abrams to acknowledge the incident and apologize for giving the impression that premeditated violence is not only appropriate but amusing.

Tucker Carlson sent a statement to Media Matters this afternoon through an MSNBC spokeswoman, revising the story:

"Let me be clear about an incident I referred to on MSNBC last night: In the mid-1980s, while I was a high school student, a man physically grabbed me in a men's room in Washington, DC. I yelled, pulled away from him and ran out of the room. Twenty-five minutes later, a friend of mine and I returned to the men's room. The man was still there, presumably waiting to do to someone else what he had done to me. My friend and I seized the man and held him until a security guard arrived. Several bloggers have characterized this is a sort of gay bashing. That's absurd, and an insult to anybody who has fought back against an unsolicited sexual attack. I wasn't angry with the man because he was gay. I was angry because he assaulted me."

A pretty drastic change in the story, don't you think? But I guess this version may not have garnered the hearty laugh that it got from the other anchors.

Comments

1. Tucker Carlson is a fat pig. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hit on him...even a toilet troll.

I love the way he brings the issue of his son into the story, again implying that gay men are pedophiles.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 29, 2007 2:07:02 PM

2. He's the least anti-gay republican, but has beat up a gay man for hitting on him. Says a lot about the republican party.

Posted by: Aaron | Aug 29, 2007 2:13:32 PM

3. So he had to go get backup? What a douche!

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 29, 2007 2:13:54 PM

4. so great that they all laugh at the violence

I'm not condoning who ever allegedly "bothered" him, but come on ...

*sigh*

Posted by: gabriel | Aug 29, 2007 2:15:15 PM

5. I can actually have some sympathy for Carlson. A small amount, but some.

For while I think he was wrong to address his situation with violence, I can understand the violated feeling this situation leaves one with. I was followed home once by an 'older married STR8 man' - who parked his car in my driveway and proceeded to jack off in broad daylight, lifting himself up to make sure I could see what he was doing. I wanted to knock him upside the head. Instead, I wrote down his license plate number, called the police, and had him arrested. And I think many of us have been accosted at various restrooms - there is a bookstore here that is notorious for it and I told a guy once if he didn't get away from me I'd notify the guard - and don't find it a welcome proposition because we have more self-respect for ourselves.

So I don't have any sympathy for the Larry Craig types.

Meanwhile, many are lamenting the police patrolling places like the airport restroom where Craig was caught, as there are 'better things they could do.' And while perhaps in the greater scheme of things this is true, if people - married fucked up closet case assholes in particular - weren't behaving like idiots and bothering people, creating an unpleasant environment, it wouldn't be an issue. I don't want to be harassed when I'm trying to pee. If you do, that's what craigslist is for - meet them there and invite them to your house. Not the airport/bookstore restroom.

Posted by: DB | Aug 29, 2007 2:15:18 PM

6. Tucker Carlson has always been a total idiot. He is such a tool that it's usually funny to watch him, but this is disgusting.

Posted by: jackass fool | Aug 29, 2007 2:15:21 PM

7. Tucker Carlson? Beating up somebody?

C'mon people. He's lying.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 29, 2007 2:17:29 PM

8. Why would you want to associate hate crimes with these creepy, restroom lurkers? Getting assaulted by someone who feels violated by their actions is a risk they are apparently willing to take.

Posted by: stan | Aug 29, 2007 2:17:56 PM

9. I love how giggly and tittery and excited Abrams and Scarborough get when Carlson talks about being hit on in a restroom. Abrams even goes back to it later ("What did you do when he did that? We got to know!"). Yes, Dan and Joe, that sounds VERY INTERESTING, doesn't it?

Posted by: JOE 2 | Aug 29, 2007 2:21:22 PM

10. Don't go to those restrooms. Easy as that. They have a responsiblity to their viewers to separate gay from perverts, and this simply doesn't. I can see this type of macho-manhood-enhancing behavior encouraging homophobic attacks from people that just look at a fellow person sideways.

Posted by: BIlly | Aug 29, 2007 2:22:36 PM

11. Holy shit. Maybe gay men wouldn't have to meet up and have sex in bathrooms if society didn't crucify them, ostracize them, and in essence drive them to supposed deviancy. (P.S. Most gay men are appalled at the notion of public bathroom sex.)

Posted by: jeff | Aug 29, 2007 2:34:45 PM

12. The only reason that guys engage in sexual activity in public restrooms is because they're afraid to be out of the closet, leaving that as their only option to satisfy their needs. The reason that people are afraid to be out of the closet is the hate-mongering that the right-wing promotes against gays. Therefore, the right-wing is at least somewhat responsible for creating an atmosphere where people that are frightened to be "out" are forced to pursue other options for which they do not have to be "out" while also achieving sexual release.

Posted by: Brandon | Aug 29, 2007 2:36:12 PM

13. So someone hits on you, and you react by getting a friend and slamming their head against a stall. Wow, how mature! Responding to misunderstanding with violence. Tucker Carlson truly has reclaimed the masculinity that was threatened by the implication that he might enjoy it. And lol, what a funny story! I just couldn't stop laughing it was so hilarious.

Btw, that "I can't take my kids to the mensroom because there are creepy guys" comment, what bullshit. That's just a tad paranoid and a tad homophobic, and I love it that he wants gay rights groups to apologize for the supposed "creepy men". Because you know, we don't deserve our rights until we do, and we should really be focused on cleaning up our nation's restrooms instead of making our laws equal.

Posted by: Donovan | Aug 29, 2007 2:37:24 PM

14. On all the recent bathroom "incidents" lately...Honestly, I'm 27 and have lived in nyc for about 6 years and have never really heard a lot about people cruising in public bathrooms and airports and engaging in sexual activity. I remember once I heard about some areas of central park and maybe some gay clubs/bars in the city but never in open public restrooms with hand signals and foot tapping and all that. Does this happen all over or just in small towns, or what?

Posted by: Davey | Aug 29, 2007 2:38:33 PM

15. While I certainly don't condone beating up the guy who hit on him (a simple call to the police or park security would have sufficed), I understand some of what he's saying. Why so many gay man or closeted straights or whatever feel that having sex in a public restroom is their right, I have no idea. And when they get arrested for lewd behavior and then claim it's homophobia is completely beyond me. It's a public restroom. And, having sex in a public restroom is illegal. I also don't think that mentioning not bringing his kid into the restroom equates homosexuality to pedophilia. He just doesn't want to walk in with his kid and have two guys going at it.

Posted by: Kamasutra Jones | Aug 29, 2007 2:38:50 PM

16. Tucker Carlson is an asshole. Oh, excuse me...he's a POMPOUS asshole.

Must have been a slow day in the men's room if somebody hit on him! Was he wearing his dorky bowtie?

Posted by: Jerseyboi | Aug 29, 2007 2:39:29 PM

17. Somebody actually hit on Tucker Carson? Where, the pisser at the Braille Institute?

Posted by: Digger | Aug 29, 2007 2:40:00 PM

18. Well, he did say he was still in high school which either means something to you or does not. I find the frat boy laughter to be equally as disturbing if not more so - I would expect this from douchie Scarborough and Carlson but Abrahms should know better.

Posted by: Giovanni | Aug 29, 2007 2:40:51 PM

19. first off, i would say to billy that nobody should have to avoid a restroom because perverts have taken it over. That sort of creepy behavior (from straight, gay or otherwise) is totally unacceptable.

Now i know beating someone up isnt the right thing to do, but quite honestly if someone was making advances at me in a restroom i would definitely condsider slamming the persons head into the wall as an option available to me. Then i would probably share the story.

personally, i wouldnt want to advocate for those behaving in such a poor manner.

Posted by: Nikk | Aug 29, 2007 2:43:01 PM

20. Hey listen everyone - Tucker's story of uberheterosexual manliness is what gets all the right wing girls a-twitter with desire. Ann Coulter doesn't even have to tweak her nips the next time she's in the same room as him - why, they're comin' up naturally this time!

My favorite part of this transcript - "Gays really have to disavow this sort of thing." OK, Tucker - tell ya what. You and the rest of your str8 brothers prevent every drunken frat boy reeking of Red Bull and Drakkar Noir from accosting str8 girls everywhere (and as a dedicated fag to a bevy of attractive hags - trust me, str8 guys know nothing about "being bothered"), then I and all my gays will work on lonely queer guys looking for a quick fumble with a marginally attractive shrimp in a Georgetown bathroom. This is not a *gay* problem. It's a straight-identified, conservative Christian Republican closet case problem. Next time Tucker's at some wingnut gala, he can deal with it *directly*.

What's so funny about the story is how much it reveals about him, then anything. I've been in plenty of bathrooms where cruising takes place and I've simply done my weeing and left. Yes, sometimes a dude will stand next to you strokin' it or linger in the backround, but if you don't flirt back - tap your foot, if you will - usually you're not bothered. So what was Tucker doing in that bathroom? Stop lingering, Tucker! Stop sneaking a peek at other urinator's wangs! I'm on to you, bowtie!

Posted by: Joe Marrazzo | Aug 29, 2007 2:44:19 PM

21. Ask yourselves this question: How believable is this story that Tucker Calrson is telling? Do you really think a toilet troll is going to remain in a bathroom waiting for Tucker and his "Friends" to return after Carlson threatened him? I think most toilet trolls would probably have taken off rather than waiting around so that Carlson and his "friends" could come back to assault him and then have him arrested. More than likely this story is just another lie out of Carlson's two-sided mouth, a lie designed to make himself look less like a sniveling worm and more butch. Carlson is still a huge geek today. Can you imagine a geek and his friends doing what he claims they did while in high school. I think not. Carlson is (yet again) trying to make himself out to be something he's not just so that he can be accepted by somebody. That is, after all, why he's a whining conservative, because he's failed to socially fit in anywhere else except amongst the idiot, looser conservative zealots. Carlson is a Republican-Nazi because nobody else would give him the time of day. He's deceitful human filth and should be thrown out with the rest of the conservative trash...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Aug 29, 2007 2:44:35 PM

22. This is a sad comment on the level that a supposed news division of a major network has been reduced.Microsoft and NBC should be embarrased. Abrams is Carlson and Scarborough's BOSS.This FRAT boy "discussion" of a very serious issue is just a symptom of the dumbing of American discourse.These idiots should be only employable in some "family" business NOT broadcast news.

Posted by: brian | Aug 29, 2007 2:55:35 PM

23. Clearly the next big Tearoom Bust will be of Tucker Carlson.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 29, 2007 3:01:21 PM

24. You're probably right, Joe Marrazzo!! I see nothing gay in this behaviour. Self righteous bigots! Oh and he beat up someone back in high school? Girl, please!

Posted by: Shabaka | Aug 29, 2007 3:04:57 PM

25. Tucker couldn't beat up the toliet paper roll.

Posted by: DJSauvage | Aug 29, 2007 3:07:24 PM