News: Sputnik, Brokeback Opera, MacArthur Grants, Peru

road.jpg 2007 MacArthur Genius Grants awarded: $500K each.

Rudolphroad.jpg No more Oprah, Beyonce, Whitney, Donatella, Nuni Showner or Bronx Beat on Saturday Night Live: Maya Rudolph is not returning. UPDATE: Maya changes her mind.

road.jpg Infectious bacteria sent to space found to be more dangerous upon return: ” The salmonella sample that travelled millions of kilometers (miles) in orbit changed their pattern of certain genes compared to identical bacteria back on Earth, said the study in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Following the shuttle flight, studies using mice showed the salmonella bacteria aboard the shuttle were “almost three times as likely to cause disease when compared with control bacteria grown on the ground,” said a university statement outlining the study.”

road.jpg British authorities seize Nan Goldin print owned by Elton John prior to gallery showing after being tipped off by employee concerned about child exploitation.

Meteorcraterperuroad.jpg Remember that meteorite that hit a Peruvian village last week that made a whole bunch of villagers sick? Apparently it struck a location where there was arsenic in the groundwater: “The claim now is that the meteoroid was hot when it hit (or the impact itself generated the heat), creating a steam plume tainted with arsenic — everyone who complained of illness has recovered, the report says, by the way. Given that we know it’s a meteorite now, that sounds plausible. Given the size of the crater and the eyewitness accounts, the meteoroid may have been big enough to retain quite a bit of heat when it hit.”

road.jpg The NYT celebrates the 50th anniversary of Sputnik: “Fifty years ago, before most people living today were born, the beep-beep-beep of Sputnik was heard round the world. It was the sound of wonder and foreboding. Nothing would ever be quite the same again — in geopolitics, in science and technology, in everyday life and the capacity of the human species.”

Jessemetcalferoad.jpg Let’s talk trash with Jesse Metcalfe.

road.jpg Brokeback Mountain to become opera. Pulitzer Prize winner Charles Wuorinen will compose it.

road.jpg Seller of De la Hoya fishnet drag photos remorseful: “I can’t believe we did this! For $70,000 you let them take advantage of me? What is going to happen to me? I’ve crushed a million hearts of kids . . . People look up to [de la Hoya.] . . . I’m really upset. I can’t eat. I can’t sleep.”

road.jpg Williamette University runner Stephen Millard comes out of the closet: “I am not out to anyone on the team, although I don’t mind if they know. I think that bad reactions will be very limited. The campus is supportive, the coaches are supportive and the team has a lot of special men and women on it. I think they will like me for who I am as a person, as they do for everyone else. And when it comes down to it, my sexuality has no affect on how I perform or how I interact with my teammates.”

road.jpg George H.W. Bush’s Kennebunkport pool boy tells all: “What do you say? ‘Thanks for School of the Americas, and Iran-Contra, and NAFTA, and shipping all those jobs overseas, and arming Saddam, and funding the Taliban?’ What do you say — ‘You’re a jerk?’ There’s nothing that can be put into a sentence that would capture the lives these people have taken, and the way of life that’s been taken.”

Comments

1. Mike B. says

Re: Stephen Millard

Not to take away from the pat on the back for coming out and all — but I’d be pretty hurt if I was a team member of Millard’s and I was finding out he was gay in an interview somewhere else.

2. says

NO MORE MAYA. Now what are we overly expressive tweaked-out Queens supposed to do with our glow-sticks???????

Have you ever noticed how talented a singer she is? (beyonce??) Maybe she’ll go an album and we’ll get a piece of her mother in the offering.

Queens

3. Leland Frances says

LOL, Derrick!

Maybe they could do an all male version called “Ennis Get Your Gun” instead.

“Don’t ask me just how it happens,
    I wish I knew.
    I can’t believe that it’s happened,
    And still it’s true.

I got lost in his arms
    And I had to stay;
    It was dark in his arms
    And I lost my way.
    From the dark came a voice
    And it seemed to say,
    There you go,
    There you go.

How I felt as I fell
    I just can’t recall.
    But his arms held me fast
    And it broke the fall.
    And I said to my heart,
    As it foolishly kept jumping
    All around,
    I got lost,
    But look what I’ve found.”

4. Cory says

RE: Maya Rudolph. SNL has been sliding (again) since the departures of Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey, now with the departure of Maya Rudolph NBC should just put a stake in that show. It’s done.

RE: Jesse Metcalfe. He’s given new meaning to “The juice is loose.” Something tells me that boy hasn’t been going the “natural” route in weight lifting. That isn’t body fat but ‘roid bloat, and there’s no way he’s gained that much naturally (I recall seeing pics of him a few months ago in which he looked much bigger than the weeks prior). I’m not surprised as Metcalfe has been very vocal about not being seen as gay, to the point he’s trying out this new hip-hop, muscle guy from the ghetto look. Something tells me, he’s going to break soon.

RE: Brokeback the Opera. Give. Me. A. Freakin’. Break. At first I thought this was a joke, now it’s just sad. Nothing more than someone trying to cash in. Let sleeping men lay.

RE: Oscar de la Hosa. NOW she feels badly? What’s the matter honnie, didn’t get all those calls and requests for interviews flooding in like you hoped? Pity.

5. DC8 Stretch says

RE: Willamette Runner

I flew to Pittsburgh to see the Steelers/49’rs game this weekend and came across the most beautiful sight: a group of 5 Pitt runners in Panther Hollow, racing uphill, shirtless in the late afternoon sun. I caught one boys eye and got a sly smile in return. When I glanced back to check out their asses, I saw that two of them were holding hands.

The times they are a’changing.

6. AdamN says

Wow, when did Jess Metcalfe get so hot?
    I got to say Trent’s blog annoys me though; not so much for the totally shallow content ( I get that that’s his thing) but for pasting all the lame pink type/symbols all over the images. I’d much rather see the pics without the junk. He may as well draw little unicorns and hearts in Photoshop and post them all over photos of Paris Hilton and Chris Crocker. Wait…that actually might be kind of hilarious/brilliant.

7. Henry Holland says

Re: the “Brokeback” opera–Charles Wuourinen’s music is very complex and modern, it’ll be hilarious to see all the people show up to it expecting something that Aaron Copland would have written and leave after 20 minutes, whining that “there’s no melodies!”. (I love his music, BTW).

As for Bush’s pool boy, what an idiot. Fine, he’s got the righteous class anger thing down, but his remark about the “protest hippies” is just lame. He’s just another “I want to join the military” death mongerer.

And for fuck’s sake, do NOT under any circumstances move to Los Angeles so you can be a *hahahahaha* “actor”. This place is crawling with losers like him, clogging up the freeways not because they want to be great actors but be famous. They mostly end up as…..wait for it….pool boys.

8. Dave says

Jesse looks damn good. He looks like a real man now, enough of that pretty boy look. I like the just got up, dishelved look. His chest is hot—now I’m getting hot!

9. Brandon H says

Holy Shizz! I’ve seen that Willamette College kid on Match.com! He was cute but he had this weird, way too into christianity thing that was off putting for me. That, and I wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell with him anyway.

10. Gregg says

Jesse M – wow. He’s generally always looked cute, but these “unkempt” pics are HOT!

Brokeback – I’m still a bit terrified by the thought of how badly it could get screwed up, but opera does seem like the appropriate form to musicalize the short story. And we’d get to hear some rockin male duets! I’ll hold off on my disdain until I actually hear something. But the scenic design could be breathtaking, especially at the Met. One tiny farmhouse on that expansive stage – stunning.