Crime | News | Vandalism | Vermont

BigGayDeal.com

Straight VT Woman, Hit by Anti-gay Hate Crime, Turns Activist

Hatevandalism

Alexis Smith found her car spray-painted with homophobic slurs in a Montpelier, Vermont Park-n-Ride lot upon returning from a three-day weekend in Maine, the Times Argus reports:

"Smith, 41, said she isn't gay and is unsure why her vehicle was targeted. She said she worries the epithets, painted in large, yellow letters on the hood, driver-side windows and rear of her 1986 Corolla, were intended for someone else."

There is concern in the community because less than three weeks ago the home of a Jewish family in the area was burglarized and swastikas were left spray-painted on the walls.

Smith told the paper: "I feel like because of what else has gone on, this is a really big issue in Montpelier. This is not OK. There's somebody driving a white Toyota Corolla right now who could potentially be in danger. I'm not gay. I'm not a gay activist. But I am now. I'm going out to the flag store right now and putting a big rainbow flag on here."

Comments

1. I'm a gay male, but I want to go on a date with Alexis.

Posted by: CF | Sep 7, 2007 10:29:37 AM

2. Alexis sounds like one cool lady!

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 7, 2007 10:38:34 AM

3. OMG..."Straight" from heaven!!

Posted by: Shabaka | Sep 7, 2007 10:44:59 AM

4. Good for this woman for taking something nasty and negative and making something positive out of it.

Not that I'm advocating violence and vandalism, but the more straight people who are hit with anti-gay acts, the deeper the understanding of how hurtful and heinous those act are towards humans everywhere.

Posted by: tjc | Sep 7, 2007 10:58:55 AM

5. That woman is awesome! Despite driving an '86 corolla I love her...

Posted by: Davey | Sep 7, 2007 11:04:39 AM

6. Very few things satisfy me and please me more than seeing an act of hate that was intended to terrify and weaken the gay community, end up winning us a new ally and advocate.

Face it, Fred Phelps has brought the GLBT community more straight allies and advocates than the HRC, GLAAD, and all the Pride parades in history COMBINED!

Keep up the good work guys.

Maybe we should start sending our money to these guys instead of to the traditional gay rights organizations.

They seem to be more effective in winning hearts and minds to our side.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 7, 2007 11:07:42 AM

7. Oh, and thank you and bless you Alexis.

You ROCK sweetheart!

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 7, 2007 11:09:05 AM

8. She should auction the car off with the grafitti and the rainbow sticker (hell an 86 Corolla can't be worth $500) and give the money to a charity supporting hate crimes legislation in the area.

Posted by: Dan B | Sep 7, 2007 11:11:18 AM

9. Very cool.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 7, 2007 11:22:40 AM

10. Sorta along the lines of this lady who had the same thing happen to her VW..

Posted by: Timothy B | Sep 7, 2007 11:55:22 AM

11. Did every homosexual man who read this story just instinctively shout 'You go, girl!' at once? Because I did.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 7, 2007 12:25:24 PM

12. If someone did that to my car, I'd drive it around for a few weeks before removing it. That's right world, I'm a fag, what do you think of that! Like those people who hyper-out their car with pro-gay stuff painted all over it. Maybe you have to live in a liberal college town like I do, to have seen one of those cars.

Posted by: Johnny | Sep 7, 2007 12:26:01 PM

13. Rock on!

Posted by: Giovanni | Sep 7, 2007 2:30:04 PM

14. Kudos for this lady. If this should happened to everybody in the USA we will be able to marry next. Good for the forces of homophobia for turning people in our favor. God works in mysterious ways. Alleluya.

Posted by: Oscar | Sep 7, 2007 4:33:11 PM

15. a positive reaction to a negative situation all hollywood actors should learn from this...

Posted by: alan brickman | Sep 7, 2007 10:33:06 PM

16. some of our best allies are straight women. love, love her. this world would be so much better if more strong people would simply say as she, "This (hate) is not OK."

Posted by: nic | Sep 8, 2007 5:46:07 AM

17. You should see my car.It says Fags Will Burn In Hell(Have fun with that)

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 8, 2009 9:50:22 PM