Cambodia | News

BigGayDeal.com

Cambodian Prime Minister Publicly Cuts Ties with Lesbian Daughter

Speaking at a school graduation ceremony in Phnom Penn today, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen told those gathered that he was cutting off contact with his daughter because she is a lesbian.

HunsenSaid Hun Sen to the 3,000 assembled: "My adopted daughter now has a wife. I'm quite disappointed. We are concerned that she might one day cause us trouble ... and try to stake her claim for a share of our assets."

According to the AP: "The prime minister and his wife Bun Rany have three sons and two other daughters. He said they adopted their third daughter in the mid 80's when she was 18 days old. She has carried his family name 'Hun' just like his biological children. Hun Sen did not reveal her given name."

Hun Sen reportedly then "said he was not discriminating against gays and appealed to society to show respect for them" according to the media outlet.

The Bangkok Post offers an alternative translation: "My daughter has married a woman ... Now I just asked the court to cut her out of the family. I was disappointed. I can educate an entire nation, but I cannot educate this adopted daughter."

CambodiaThey add, "Hun Sen spoke about his personal struggle, saying media and other educational forums had taught him it was okay to be gay, but when it happened in his own family, he 'did not know how to do.'"

Comments about his daughter were reportedly omitted when the speech was aired on state media.

The non-profit Cambodian gay rights group Women's Agenda for Change reportedly "applauded" Hun Sen's comment on discrimination but said nothing about the daughter.

Homosexuality is legal in Cambodia, but the nation has no laws regarding same-sex marriage.

In 2004, Cambodia's King Sihanouk spoke out about gays and lesbians, saying "I am not gay, but I respect the rights of gays and lesbians. It's not their fault if God makes them born like that."

Comments

1. How odd, he'll cut off ties with his adult gay child in a country where homsexuality is legal, and, yet, hardly do a peep about all the creepy pedophiles that come to Cambodia with hard currency and assault children, or deal with the war criminals who committed one of the worlds worst genocides and are still free, talk about need to get your "values" right.

Posted by: Sebastian | Oct 30, 2007 11:24:57 AM

2. Maybe it is God's 'fault' we are gay. Maybe it just took Him this long to get it right.

Posted by: MT | Oct 30, 2007 11:29:54 AM

3. What a dumb fuck. Apparently he accepts homosexuality in it's abstract form, urging his country to respect homosexuals...yet he can't accept it in his own daughter. What an ass.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 30, 2007 11:31:20 AM

4. I love how he makes sure he refers to her as "this adopted daughter". As if he wants to be sure everyone understands that she's not a "real" child of his.
    What a complete ass.

Posted by: Tom | Oct 30, 2007 11:54:55 AM

5. It's the whole "but not in MY HOUSE" thing, it seems. Well, as it should be plain to see, ignorance and sheer stupidity run rampant in every country.

Then again, maybe his daughter is just a fuckup? "Gay" doesn't always necessarily add up to "upstanding citizen". Either way, he should've kept his piehole shut. I fail to see how his personal life has relevance in a graduation ceremony.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Oct 30, 2007 12:01:01 PM

6. He reminds of me of my own father when I came out to him not too long ago. He basically said "not in my family". 'Course I gave him a piece of my mind but that's beside the point. This man seems to want to emphasize on the fact that the said daughter was ADOPTED. As if he wanted to make sure people realize that "it did not come from him". What a retard!

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 30, 2007 1:43:22 PM

7. I am Cambodian. And in the culture of Southeast Asia--this is seen in Thailand as well, inheritance is the livelihood. Because he's the Prime Minister (and I must add--for too long) and a multi-millionaire in that country where people struggle to make 1 dollar a day. He just doesn't want his money to go to someone who has soiled his name. I admire my paternal country for its public respect of gays. However, I believe more can be done. But this country needs to solve other issues, politically and economically, before it should touch on this familial issue.

Posted by: KoolK | Oct 30, 2007 4:38:03 PM

8. This man is extremely corrupt and equally wealthy. He had close ties to Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. He runs the country with intimidation and corruption and while seemingly being a democracy on the surface, the reality is very close to a dictatorship. He has stated that he intends to stay in power until he dies and there is nothing anyone can do about that! Disowning a child is nothing to him as he also sold big parts of the country to Vietnam for personal benefit.

Posted by: Tom Smith | Oct 30, 2007 4:55:56 PM

9. Hun says that he is disowning his adopted daughter because she is a lesbian and has married a woman. Yet he also says that he has no ill feeling towards GLBT people and that society must respect them. Then isn't having a life partner a big part of being GLBT. It is obvious that he doesn't want anyone to get his money. Hun Sen was never a good father anyway. What he should do is resign totally and not be involved in politics. Hun Sen's government is no different to the Khmer Rouge anyway.

Posted by: Paddy | Nov 20, 2007 4:07:16 AM