Henry Rollins on Gay Marriage and Larry Craig

Henry_rollins

Former Black Flag frontman and talk show host Henry Rollins is touring the country with a spoken word show called “Provoked”. He spoke recently with the Cleveland Free Times about why he cares so much about gay rights.

Rollins2Said Rollins: “I think it’s really lame what’s going on with those that are gay and I’m not gay. I was raised around gay folks. I was raised in the DC area. There are a lot of gay people there. My mom had gay friends. I had gay bosses. I worked at a movie theater and got propositioned four times a weekend. It was like, ‘You like boys; nah, it’s not going to be me.’ I never wanted to kick some guy’s ass. Some guys are creeps. But when you see the kind of hatred exacted at these people who can’t help how they feel about men, it’s sad. What if it was weird to be straight? What if someone said, ‘What’s wrong with you?’ for staring at a woman? I think if Bill and Tom want to get married, they should be able to in America. If someone has a problem with that, go on your way.”

He also had a few words about Senator Larry Craig: “It’s really ironic but if someone is gay, he should be able to express himself and not eat hand grenades every day. He [Craig] is an older guy. Coming out was not an option for him. He had to be so suppressed and so he married a woman and procreated. It’s too bad that’s the life he had to live, and it’s especially weird if he voted for anti-gay legislation. If you put your hand under the men’s room stall, that’s not going to go quietly in the night. The hypocrisy is obvious in his case. I’m being easy on the guy and I shouldn’t because he’s an asshole.”

Comments

1. Jonathon says

Let me just say that I absolutely adore Henry Rollins. He is a great friend to our community and is an all-around wonderful human being. Thanks for speaking out, Henry!

2. Rey says

Between Keith Olbermann’s daily show and Henry Rollin’s weekly show (on Fridays), I feel much better identifying as an American.

When guys like them speak so much truth and use their brains as both of them do, it makes me want to give them a big strong hug.

(awwwww.)

3. anon (gmail.com) says

HR is certainly crush worthy and has to constantly fight off gay rumors, particularly because he never seems to date women. Maybe he’s asexual (it happens) or autosexual? He always says the right things though, which makes him particularly appealing to gay men.

4. whatever says

I was also rasied in the DC area, and Henry’s comments are crap. There are a lot of gay people everywhere. Homosexualtiy is not determined by where you are located. His mom had gay friends. Wow that really makes him enlightened! He has always seemed to me to be someone who acts gay friendly because he is in the closet. His reality is much like Sen. Craig, who he condems.

5. RP says

Whatever, nowhere did Henry (Garfield) Rollins insinuate that location determined sexuality. He was merely explaining that he grew up around homosexuality, so to him it was never a concern.

Henry Rollins has long stood up for gay rights, and not because he is in the closet either. Just cause someone is intelligent enough to stand up for gay rights, that doesn’t make them gay. I belong to Amnesty International. We try to protect human rights across the board, including prisoners of conscious. Does that make me a prison of conscious? Hell no.
    Whatever, you seem like one of those people that just enjoys being negative. Why not just appreciate someone speaking out for you without through mud back in his/her face?
    Henry Rollins does in fact date women, although because of his upbringing at an all boys military school he has trouble communicating with the opposite sex.

If you read his books, interviews, and/or reviews you would know this already.

6. jeff says

Wait, I swear to God someone very trustworthy told me that Henry and his male partner very openly lived together for years. Shit, now I am forgetting the details .. but I know I always assumed Henry was gay based on the story. Oh, well. For what it’s worth. Rock on either way, Henry!

7. Sebastian says

I’ll have to admit it, I’ve always had a crush on this man, and, to see that his heart is so big and he is able to use common sense about gays, makes him even hotter.

Real men don’t fear gay men.

8. Paul says

Jeff, you might be thinking of Bob Mould from Husker Du, who has been living with his partner in DC for quite a while. Lots of people who liked Black Flag liked Husker Du. But Henry is straight.

As for the comments by Whatever, I could have gained better insight from a third grader. Yep, Henry is JUST LIKE Larry Craig. Acting all gay friendly as a front, just like the senator.

I can’t think of two people who have less in common. Moron.

9. anon (gmail.com) says

Hmmm… Did I not say that he’s constantly defending his straight’a’tude? Has he ever dated anyone we know? or is it always band chicks?

I’m amazed at how many guys here think he’s the bees knees–an example of good taste among gay men.

10. lingli says

Hey Jeff, you might also be thinking of HR’s best friend Joe Cole, who was a roadie for Black Flag but also one of the few people HR has ever really completely trusted. Joe was shot and killed during a robbery at their house in Venice Beach about 15 years ago (I think). They spent a huge amount of time together and HR’s books and spoken word gigs for several years after all reflected his difficulty coming to terms with the violence of Joe’s death, his own survivor guilt, and the crushing sense of loss he felt. I’ve read a lot of it and nowhere have I got any sense that their relationship was a Relationship, if you know what I mean.
    I couldn’t care less who he sleeps with, anyway; the man is a powerhouse.

11. Rick says

You go, Henry! He is one of those rare people who can both transcend and celebrate their own sexuality and their own humanity. Our generation’s Audrey Hepburn.

12. Rick says

13. Rick says

14. Rick says

15. RP says

Awww! Thanks Shabaka!

Yes, Henry Rollins was in the legendary (IMHO) DC punk band Black Flag. He is also the lead singer of his own band, (aptly titled) Rollins Band.

Currently he is on tour in the US doing spoken word performances. He actually just came to my city last week, but unfortunately I had an exam the next morning and couldn’t make the show.

16. mike says

Thanks, Henry! You’ve given the queer community support when it is sorely needed. Too bad more guys like you don’t feel comfortable in their own skin not to get stressed if another guy finds you hot. No big deal. As Nancy used to say, “just say no”. And, then, move on with it.

17. mike says

18. Brandon Sideleau says

As a long time Rollins and Black Flag fan I’d like to clear up a few things here. First off…..Henry has ALWAYS stood up for Gay Rights…even during the early days of Black Flag when some gays were offended by some of Black Flag’s “Police Story” posters…Henry (at the ripe old age of 20) suggested that the use of the word “faggot” was designed to piss off macho police officers, not offend gays. Secondly, for all of the people doubting Henry’s sexuality (as if it matters) he did, in fact, date Kari Wuher for a while and Lydia Lunch during the mid-80’s. Not to mention the tons of stories in his Black Flag book about girls. Is it really so hard for some people to accept that Henry is just an intelligent guy who realizes that homophobia is one of America’s most embarassing traits?