Gay Slurs | Los Angeles | News | Scott Caan

BigGayDeal.com

Actor Scott Caan to Paparazzo: Get a Real Job, You Faggot

Caan

TMZ's photographers caught up with actor Scott Caan as he was leaving the Newsroom Cafe on Robertson Boulevard yesterday.

The pissed off son of James Caan challenged the photographer to a fight before unleashing the F-word:

"You tryin to be nice about it? I saw you shootin me while I was eatin a cheeseburger. Fuckin jack-off. I'll give you a thousand dollars to come fight me, how bout that? $2000. $2500. Ten grand if you'll fight me. Get a real job, you faggot."

The Wrath of Caan Junior [tmz]

You may have missed...
Paul Walker and Scott Caan: Brotherly Love [tr]

Comments

1. Good Christ. Gay or straight, he's still a tool.

Posted by: Marco | Nov 15, 2007 3:26:06 PM

2. Thanks TJC, and good for you for setting your co-worker straight. I went to a school with mostly people who speak Spanish from various countries and "maricon" might as well have been "hello" for the many times kids around me said it.

I just have to set my record straight in case my mom clicks on towleroad.com instead of chicos.com. I didn't grow up in a house of horrors and my mom wasn't spewing hatred, she just said it once recently (actually she called Isaiah Washington a "faggot" as some kind of backwards support of gay people, love ya' mom).

More to the point, any word in context is non-offensive but I think at large, society needs to spend more time addressing the hate behind these words then banning the words themselves.

Posted by: junior | Nov 15, 2007 3:26:37 PM

3. At the moment, it would be hard find a block in L.A. thicker with paparazzi on a day to day basis than this one that straddles the L.A./West Hollywood city line. Any celebrity (or like this guy, anyone well down the list) knows about or even expects the attention they'll draw. Does that mean that the paparazzi should get a pass for intrusiveness? No. But no one who finds himself in a photo while in the neighborhood should be the least bit surprised.

To be sure, the madness seems to have peaked earlier this year and celebrity shoppers are decamping to other locales (e.g., the two-block long Melrose Place, about a mile away). The result being that there is less fodder for the paparazzi, so they're left with guys like Caan and the crowds of Lindsay Lohann wannabes (who'da thunk??) trolling the sidewalks.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Nov 15, 2007 4:25:25 PM

4. I'll take the ten grand to fight this piece of shit.....tell me how big guy?

Posted by: angrycitizen | Nov 15, 2007 4:57:09 PM

5. So did any of you guys see "Into The Blue" starring Paul Walker and Scott Caan? The on screen and off-screen frat boy touchie feeley action is legendary. The movie was shot on the coast of Paradise Island and nearly half the movie is shot underwater. Walker and Caan do an underwater ballet while holding each other that is priceless. But the piece 'd resistance is five minutes into the film at the island airport. Caan arrives from the states and grabs Paul Walker wrestling him to the floor of the airport, holding him for dear life. Then Walker lands up sitting on Caan's crotch. Caan says, "Can you stay right there buddy, that feels really good." The movie is currently running on Showtime or you can rent it. Watch it and then reformulate your opinions about Caan. Jessica Alba reports that a lot of this "interaction" had to be cut out of the movie as that they acted like lovebirds during the entire shoot.

Yes, Caan is hot, but I'll take Paul Walker any day. Ok, I'll take them both!

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Nov 15, 2007 5:01:13 PM

6. Oh, "sticks and stones" guys, Caan can call me a faggot anyday!

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Nov 15, 2007 5:04:48 PM

7. Andy has a couple of great shots of Paul Walker and Caan's brotherly love. Just click on the link at the bottom of this post. I never did that with my brother.......

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Nov 15, 2007 5:13:42 PM

8. ANGRYCITIZEN, if you decide to fight Scott Caan I recommend booking the hospital room in advance. Scott got that great set of shoulders he sports from working out regularly in the boxing ring. And the guy he fought with in West Hollywood...Scott knocked him unconscious. He might be small, but he's tough.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 15, 2007 5:25:18 PM

9. Isaiah Washington is spinning in his career grave over the comments here.

I guess whitey has the right of way when it comes to saying faggot.

Posted by: Marco | Nov 15, 2007 7:41:10 PM

10. Anyone he doesn't like is a "faggot"? I'd like for him to say that in west Hollywood with all the no-neck guys.

See how tough he is then.

Posted by: jackson | Nov 15, 2007 8:30:28 PM

11. "You have to take what you read on the internet and in the gossip columns with a grain of salt 90% of the time. This is one of those times."

You also have to take what you read on CNN and the other mainstream media with a grain of salt when it comes to the closeting of celebrities. This is one of THOSE times.

Posted by: Chicagogo | Nov 15, 2007 8:55:49 PM

12. Ah yes, a "real job" like acting. Putz.

Posted by: JOHN | Nov 15, 2007 9:02:33 PM

13. For all those people who are trying to make a comparison between what Scott Caan said and what Isaiah Washington said (and did), I'd like to remind you of three things: A) Isaiah referred to an actual homosexual as 'faggot' B) By referring to him as a faggot, Isaiah outed T.R. Knight C) Isaiah Washington did not challenge someone to fight him as Scott Caan did...Isaiah actually assaulted a coworker on the set. For all those reasons, both individually and taken as a whole, I find Isaiah Washington's words and behavior far more reprehensible than this admittedly juvenile, admittedly reprehensible words/behavior out of Scott Caan.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 15, 2007 9:32:29 PM

14. such b.s. peterparker

1-he referred to an "actual" homosexual...T.R. overheard the remark....the intent of both men (Caan and Washington) was the same....both were said to straight men in the heat of an argument in order to degrade them

2. he outed an closet homo. So now where supporting closeted homos? I'm sure Tom Cruise will be glad to hear that.

3. he only challenged him to a fight. Caan has been caught in brawls before, so he is clearly as hotheaded as Washington. Try again.

translation: he's peterparker's neighbor and he likes that Caan acknowledges him and speaks to him and makes him feel special. Plus he's a goodlooking white guy and Washington is the big scary black man.

puleeeeze. Start over.

Posted by: Puleeze | Nov 15, 2007 10:16:14 PM

15. PETERPARKER, how 'bout next time you see your friendly, very straight, pussy hound, neighbor-down-the-street acquaintance you remind him that this is the twenty-first century and it's simply not cool to use homophobic slurs, even if it's "just" intended to insult an insecure straight person.

;)

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 15, 2007 11:06:52 PM

16. mwhhahhaha! until these last couple posts, i was losing hope in the gay community. Thanks for making my day. caan = douche.

Posted by: yeehaw | Nov 16, 2007 12:30:24 AM

17. Am I the only one who doesn't think Faggot=Gay? To me Faggot=Bitchy, Inappropriate, Negative, Effeminate Men. And Gay men are not all those things. Just like Bitch<>All Women. That's why people can say it. Is it insulting, yes. But not if it's directed not at me AND by someone who I don't think is really homophobic. It's about the context.

Posted by: Frozen North | Nov 16, 2007 7:30:59 AM

18. FROZEN NORTH, YOU may think that Gay men are not all of "those things" but most straight people, and even some gay people, who use this slur DO believe that Gay = Bitchy, Inappropriate, Negative, Effeminate Men. THAT’S the point of the slur and that’s precisely why its use should always be considered insulting to gay men.

Your argument reminds me of people I grew up with in Mississippi who would say, "Don't act like a n*gger!" or "Act white!" meaning "don't be lazy" or "don't act stupid". Most white people were insulted that someone would "accuse" them of being “like a black person” but I was insulted by the fact that they thought such an "accusation" was an insult and that being black was equated with being lazy or stupid. When I would challenge them on their racism they would INEVITABLY offer their version of the argument you made above. They would say "n*gger" doesn't "necessarily" mean "black" it means "lazy" or "stupid". I called BULLSHIT on them. They used "n*gger" PRECISELY because they considered it to equal "black", which in their minds equaled lazy and stupid.

Interestingly enough, these people never seemed to be ashamed of or apologetic for their racism in their daily lives. In fact they seemed downright proud of it right up to the moment that someone challenged them and then, miraculously, they would deny that they were racist and act insulted that anyone would accuse them of such a thing.

I see the EXACT same tactics used to dismiss and deny racism in Mississippi 20 years ago being used to dismiss and deny homophobia today.

I'm glad to see that Mr. Caan has given a REAL apology for using the slur. I hope, rather than just writing it off as a slip of the tongue or trying to explain away how the word isn't "necessarily" homophobic, he'll get to the bottom of why he used/uses such a word to slur another man. Otherwise his apology is meaningless and nothing will be learned from it.

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 16, 2007 9:26:40 AM

19. One more thing.

I want to make it clear that I don't think that "Effeminate" should be listed with negative attributes like "Bitchy", "Inappropriate" and "Negative".

Effeminate men may make some people uncomfortable but it isn't because being effeminate is a vice.

I have close friends who are by nature quite effeminate and if anyone thought that made them acceptable targets for being called "faggot", I would be hard pressed to keep from knocking the nasty word right back down their throats along with a few of their teeth.

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 16, 2007 9:40:40 AM

20. Paul Walker is the hottie here.
    Caan..Talk about a Napoleon complex, 5-5 and no lips, and trying to follow in one heck of shadow. Major chip on his shoulder. He needs to lose the 'tude.

Posted by: John | Nov 16, 2007 10:16:59 AM

21. Cannot add anything more to Zeke's well articulated and long-standing critique of the homophobic slur. Amen brother! And Puleez, I think you nailed it. Poor PP appears to have gotten in the shower and turned it on to "delusional". Funny how bigotry can be justified (or at least minimized) when the rationalizer wants to be liked by the bigot. So many hairs were split that the whole weave is in need of retightening.

Posted by: rudy | Nov 16, 2007 10:52:03 AM

22. What's the difference between Scott Caan and Isaiah Washington?

Posted by: Nita | Nov 16, 2007 11:45:01 AM

23. Zeke wrote, "They would say "n*gger" doesn't "necessarily" mean "black" it means "lazy" or "stupid". I called BULLSHIT on them. They used "n*gger" PRECISELY because they considered it to equal "black", which in their minds equaled lazy and stupid."

They're saying it now. And thank you for your post. That particular parallel is on target.

Posted by: Nita | Nov 16, 2007 11:50:24 AM

24. "....the difference between Scott Caan and Isaiah Washington."

Well, NITA, of course the issue was race. Some white gays will say that the argument, "you blacks complain about persecution, therefore, you should KNOW BETTER than to throw slurs at other oppressed groups," was a legitimate argument. I've used that argument against black homophobes. Somehow when many of the white gays used it, it didn't ring true; and the credibility of many outraged white gays was in question. Where was their "moral outrage" when the issue of racism within the gay world was discussed? As a persecuted group, shouldn't white gay men "know better" than to practice racism?

The discussion escalated from Isaiah's behavior to issues of race relations within the gay world. Many black posters felt that a lot of white gay men's emphasis on getting Isaiah had more to do with an insult to their "white priviledge" than it did with a homophobic slur by a high-strung actor.

One thing I do agree with some posters is that if the victim of the homophobic slur is indeed gay, the insult carries a far more serious aspect to it.

Calling another straight guy a faggot means you are a hyper-masculine asshole. Calling a gay male a faggot means that you hate gay people, and you are a danger to them...unless of course it's your wacky brother who you made angry because you cussed him out for not bringing your mother anything for her birthday, or Mother's Day or Christmas. Straight guys can be such selfish, inconsiderate faggots.

Posted by: Derrick from PHilly | Nov 16, 2007 12:35:08 PM

25. DERRICK, I hope this white gay man's credibility isn't in question. I'm pretty sure you know me well enough by now to know that I'm not one of those detached, silver spooned boys who frivilously compares racism and homophobia without a real understanding of where they are similar and where they are different.

I was fighting in the trenches against racism in deepest, darkest Mississippi (including against my family) when it was VERY dangerous to do so (starting in the 70's). This was a number of years before I even thought about standing up for gay rights. In fact I was challenging racism long before I came out as gay.

It's my long held understanding of racism and race activism that guides my understanding of homophobia and gay activism.

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 16, 2007 2:46:58 PM