Desperate Housewives | Kevin Rahm | News | Playing Gay | Television | Tuc Watkins

Marc Cherry on Desperate Housewives' New Gay Couple

Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry talks to USA Today about Bob and Lee, the gay couple who recently moved on to Wisteria Lane. If you've missed the clips, I posted them here and here.

DhCherry reveals a hint at what's coming up for the couple on the show, as well as who they're named after: "Cherry, who named the characters after ABC journalist Bob Woodruff and his wife, Lee, after meeting them at a dinner, says he and his writers are still developing Bob and Lee's story lines — which, in keeping with the neighborhood, include at least one secret between the couple and a story line involving their roles in helping rebuild the community after a tornado. That plotline may help them in a community that ostracized them in last Sunday's episode, after they placed a huge, hideous, metal-sculptured fountain in their front yard."

Said Cherry: "In capturing the gay suburban experience, the joke is they have the same issues as everyone else. The politically correct thing would have been to have everyone get along with them. But there's a lot of comedy to be played against type...We're having fun with them. I hope to keep them as long as I can."

Tuc Watkins and Kevin Rahm, who play the couple, chimed in as well.

Watkins: "Marc should be applauded for creating gay characters who aren't issue-oriented. A lot of the time, gay characters are known through issues — coming out or health problems. "There are a few cliché gay jokes on Desperate Housewives. But Bob and Lee aren't stereotypical. They have horrible taste. They have a sense of humor. They're a little mean. They're certainly not PC."

Rahm: "Tuc's character wants to be the good guy, to be part of the community. What's great about Lee is there's no filter on the stuff he says about the suburbs or what he says to other people. It's a great dynamic."

'Desperate' to prove a point about gay couples [usa today]

Recently...
Desperate Housewives: Gay Couple Arrives on Wisteria Lane [tr]
Desperate Housewives' New Gay Couple Erects Fountain Art [tr]
Desperate Housewives' Gay Couple Goes Trick or Treating [tr]>

Comments

1. How about getting Shawn Pyfrom back in on the action? I miss seeing Andrew Van de Kamp

Posted by: Brent | Nov 2, 2007 10:15:38 AM

2. "But Bob and Lee aren't stereotypical...They have a sense of humor. They're a little mean." Sounds like a stereotype to me.

I miss Andrew too, Brent.

Posted by: queendru | Nov 2, 2007 11:37:43 AM

3. That's funny, because I thought too bitchy, pushy fags that are more concerned with their own shit and screw everybody else was a stereotype (I'm agreeing with Queendru & Brent). If their secret turns out to be that both of their middle names are Bruce or they have a falling out over paint color and start having affairs with straight guys (that's what we all want, right?)...

What wasn't stereotypical was Andrew: A teen coming out that was so angry with his mother's response to his coming out that he throws it in her face instead of becoming a victim.

I'm really disappointed in Cherry. (why do they let actors talk about their own work - they always sound so ridiculous!)

www.theskinofmyteeth.com

Posted by: David B. | Nov 2, 2007 12:55:51 PM

4. Yeah, bring back Andrew! He was my favorite little psychopath. I wanna see him torture Bree some more.

Though the scenes from this upcoming week's show look pretty funny, I'd still love to see Andrew and Bob get it on.

Lee's just too stereotypical for me. What fun is that? Throw some twists in it, for god's sake! Oh well, I'll guess just wait & see what happens, though so far it doesn't look too promising.

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 2, 2007 1:15:34 PM

5. The fact is there's no way the show will ever make all gay people happy. I'm glad Cherry has given them some quirks that are not always positive. That's true with all the other characters on the show & it allows for more drama.

I'm also disappointed that Andrew hasn't been given much to do lately, especially since he's partly-based on Cherry himself. The show got a lot of flak when Andrew seduced his Mom's boyfriend in the much-maligned 2nd season. The writers don't seem to know what to do with him since. He's either good or evil, depending on the episode.

Posted by: scar2 | Nov 2, 2007 3:04:30 PM

6. Bob and Lee have to be b•tches, Wisteria Lane is nothing but selfish b*tches - wouldn;t want them to get trampled underfoot!

Andrew sleeping wiht his mom's sexaholic boyfriend purely out of spite was the soap operatic high point of the entire series.

I hope Bob & Lee stay!

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 2, 2007 5:02:08 PM

7. I can't get past the fact that Marc Cherry is a Log Cabin Republican.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 2, 2007 6:16:31 PM

8. From stuff that I've read in the past, Shawn Pyfrom doesn't like playing gay and is a bit homophobic. It was my impression that he insisted his character was not gay. So I wouldn't expect too much in the future from Pyfrom. I watched a little of the last episode and didn't like the gay characters at all. As a matter of fact, I've pretty much lost all interest in DH. I just catch the last few minutes waiting for Brothers and Sisters to come on.

Posted by: Bob R | Nov 2, 2007 6:24:52 PM

9. I love the show. And to those that are being cry babies and bitching about the characters already would you please explain what wouldnt offend your delicate senibilities? Seriously, how can you go through life being so touchy about everything? every characte is too gay, or not gay enough, blah blah blah its just a myster/sit-com the show is a satire, it cant be a satire unless some stereotypes are involved

Posted by: jacknhasty | Nov 2, 2007 10:00:27 PM

10. What I find disturbing is that Tuck W. tries to straddle the orientation fence as he's doing....but I'm sure he's just waiting for GLAAD to give the two of them some award before he has to talk.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Nov 3, 2007 12:06:57 PM