GQ Announces Their Men of the Year

Ron Paul, presidential candidate – Dark Horse of the Year
Alex Rodriguez – Hit Man
Seth Rogen – Father of the Year
Mark Ruffalo – Secret Weapon
Julian Schnabel – Visionary
Jason Schwartzman – Cool Kid
John Smeaton, baggage handler, Glasgow International Airport – Employee of the Year
Channing Tatum – Man of Next Year
Robin Thicke and Rihanna – Smooth Operators
John Varvatos – Designer of the Year
Shaun White – Reinvention

From the point of view of a fellow blogger, it’s great to see Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo being honored, but if we could make one suggestion to editor Jim Nelson for next year’s issue it would be: how ’bout “Gay Man of the Year”?

GQ Men of the Year [official site]

Comments

1. Scott says

Yes, let’s marginalize ourselves further by adding a ‘gay man of the year’, because clearly we’re not good enough to compete in the real categories. I wouldn’t want to be named the best gay whatever…let me be the best whatever (who happens to be gay).

2. Princess Superstar says

I’m sure it’s just me, but those look more like covers for Mad Magazine.

I know, I know, I’m a crazy bitch from way out in left field.

Picnic anyone?

3. jimmyboyo says

Bil clinton? What has he done for anyone lately? Besides hanging with papa bush

Al Gore on the other hand has done a ton for politics and the environment this past year. His whole “assault on reason” ranks him above billy boy without even considering the environmental stuff.

Gq is G out of touch with reality

4. crispy says

“Bil clinton? What has he done for anyone lately? Besides hanging with papa bush”

That’s wholly uninformed. While Al Gore’s efforts to raise awareness of global warming are certainly admirable, the Clinton foundation has been raising billions of dollars to actually fund global warming initiatives. Additionally, his AIDS foundation has begun providing medical aid and reduced-cost drugs to people with HIV in undeveloped nations, primarily in Africa.

The partnership with George H. W. Bush that you so skillfully cited was in 2005. Presumably Man of the Year is bestowed upon people for work performed this year.

At least try to exhibit some intelligence when bashing someone.

5. Mike says

Personally I’d like to see a bit more recognition of men who do something a bit more out of the entertainment/sport/arts category. Aside from the medicos, more there for topicality, there does not seem to be any representation of those from the worlds of science/technology/engineering/agriculture… who do so much to keep the world moving. I don’t expect GQ or any of these other magazines to supplant the Nobel Prizes, but it seems there is a gigantic blindspot for those who don’t conform to “stylish” career choices.

6. says

People, let’s not act dumb, Hayden and the other females are being honored in the magazine for what’s next to their names (“Obsession of the Year,” etc.), not for being “men,” that’s just what the issue is called (I know you are all smarter than this).

Second, GQ was out of touch in 1972.

And thirdly, why is Bill the only man I would sleep with based on these photos? Don’t get me wrong. We all know in real life all Daniel Craig has to do is say the word.

7. ManFacedBoy says

GQ lost any semblance of relevance when they named Pete Doherty as one of this year’s best dressed men. The whole magazine is crap anyway. I will not be renewing my subscription.