Election 2008 | Iowa | Mike Huckabee | Mitt Romney | News | Republican Party

Mitt Romney: I'm the Leading Marriage Protector

The Rocky Mountain News notes that Mitt Romney "drew mild boos and hisses" at an appearance at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa yesterday as he thought he'd make clear that of the leading candidates, he's the greatest protector of marriage.

RomneySaid Romney: "For those who are not familiar with it, of the four nationally leading candidates for president - and I count myself as one of those, but also Mayor (Rudy) Giuliani, and Sen. (John) McCain and (former Sen.) Fred Thompson - there's only one of us who's in favor of a federal amendment to the constitution to limit marriage to the relationship between a man and a woman. And that's me...I feel very strongly about this because, as I said earlier, I believe that maintaining the strength of the marriage relationship, the family relationship, is critical to the strength of an entire society"

The paper notes that Mike Huckabee, who has had a recent surge in the polls but still doesn't break the top four, also supports the anti-gay amendment.

Huckabee's spokesman responded to the claim: "If he's defining who the top four are and tailoring his remarks to fit that situation, sure. I think he's doing what he's very good at, and that's parsing his answers to suit the audience."

Comments

1. Just say it Romney, I'm the leading homophobic bigot/Idiot protector. Go away Romney, just GO FAR AWAY with your disgusting homophobic anti-gay rhetoric. Anyone who supports Romney is just a vengeful, hurtful and bigoted individual.

Posted by: matthew | Nov 2, 2007 9:18:50 AM

2. Ah Mitler.... Check out our trailer on Gay Marriage. Produced to educate & defuse the controversy it has a way of opening closed minds & creates an interesting spin on the situation: www.OUTTAKEonline.com

Posted by: Charlotte | Nov 2, 2007 9:25:04 AM

3. Lol, he did a great job of "protecting" marriage while he was governor of Massachusetts.

Posted by: homer | Nov 2, 2007 9:28:32 AM

4. "I believe that maintaining the strength of the marriage relationship, the family relationship, is critical to the strength of an entire society...BECAUSE IN THE MORMON CHURCH KIDS ARE TAUGHT THEY WON'T SEE THEIR FAMILIES IN HEAVEN IF THEY LEAVE THE CHURCH.

Trust me, I accompanied a friend to his father's funeral and the hymns the children sang about this were just creepy.

Posted by: Qjersey | Nov 2, 2007 9:38:45 AM

5. Such "strong" and WRONG answers. Fear is such a horrible thing. Too bad that is all the Republican candidates have to run on.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Nov 2, 2007 9:51:59 AM

6. Mitt Romney is a disgrace to his race. As a Mormon, he ought to know what it feels like to be persecuted, and now the redneck cracka' bitch turns around and persecutes gay people. If he doesn't like the progress we're making in the rest of this country, he ought to go back to Utah and stay there with all his KIND. Next thing you know he'll have anti-gay Ann Coulter on his tour of South Carolina--shooting out pingpong balls that read "Jesus was white!" from her dried up couchee. Oh, these Mormons don't appreciate what a priviledge it is to be in this country.

We should have never given these damn Mormons their civil rights--that's when all the trouble started, right Oscar?

Damn polygamists...and worst of all--they're children are all blond.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 2, 2007 10:30:07 AM

7. Oh my God, Derrick, please shut up. You sound almost as hateful as them.

Posted by: shhh | Nov 2, 2007 11:18:22 AM

8. He's not desperate, he just acts that way.

All blond??

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 2, 2007 12:28:29 PM

9. HATEFUL! MOI? No, I'm just defending gay people against these dangerous minorities...frickin' Mormons.

SHHH, are you new to this blog. If so, it would explain why my rant didn't sound familiar to you.

ANON, yes, Mormon babies are all blond with blue eyes...it's frightening! You know, "Children of the Utah or Idaho or Nevada"

"there, they're, their"
    I wish I'd had a Catholic education--the Nuns woulda' whupped my ass till I got it right.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 2, 2007 12:42:56 PM

10. "the strength of the marriage relationship, the family relationship, is critical to the strength of an entire society"

Because, you know, gay people don't have families. They're auto-generated from stem cells and spring forth, Athena like, from petri dishes.

Bastard.

Posted by: AG | Nov 2, 2007 1:41:14 PM

11. It's a shame, I liked him as governor of Massachusetts (lived there throughout his term as gov.) before he started running for President (in 2004) and conveniently flip-flipped and made gays his #1 enemy.

He's a good manager and a really smart guy. I would totally consider voting for him if he would just flip-flop back to who he was before his Evangelical makeover.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 2, 2007 3:37:36 PM