China | I'm Not Gay | News | Richard Gasquet | Sports | Tennis

Tennis #8 Richard Gasquet: Nope, Still Not Gay

Tennis3

Frenchman Richard Gasquet, recently immortalized as a terra cotta warrior for his appearance at the Shanghai Tennis Masters Cup, gave an interview following his matches there, Outsports reports, and reaffirmed the fact that he's not gay, even though he wasn't even asked.

Via the interview:

Q. Now your matches are finished. Do you still have any plan to go around the city maybe with your uncle or your girlfriend?

RICHARD GASQUET: My uncle? No. My girlfriend, no. I have no girlfriend, so I will try to find one, one Chinese girl. Why not? Why not? I lost 6-1, 6-1. It will be very hard for me tonight. I'm ready to lose, you know.

Q. Who is the girl watching your match with your uncle?

RICHARD GASQUET: Not my girl. I don't know. Not my girl, for sure. No, no, no, I have just friends. Men friends, but I'm not gay.

You may remember in July of last year that Gasquet, now ranked #8 in the world, denied he was gay after French magazine Le Point printed a rumor that he was having an affair with 46-year-old married French businessman Arnaud Lagardere. Said Gasquet at the time: "I was absolutely not happy about that. This question has come back hundreds of times, and every time someone turns up saying, Oh, I have evidence. It is just bullshit. Neither him nor me are homosexuals. It's absolutely obvious."

So if it's so obvious, why the need to repeat it?

Richard Gasquet, still not gay [outsports]

Previously
Wimbledon Semi-finalist Richard Gasquet: It's Obvious I'm Not Gay [tr]
Terra Cotta Tennis Warriors Unveiled in Shanghai: Federer, Nadal, Davydenko, Djokovic, Roddick, Ferrer, Gonzalez, Gasquet [tr]

Comments

1. It's a fricken 8:52 in the morning here and I can't read that quote because of his echolalia. Of his echolalaia. Lalia.

Using my psychology terms here. And while I'm at it, could that slip be sublimation?

Posted by: justincredible | Nov 28, 2007 10:56:01 AM

2. I love him, gay or not, cute as a bug, and, a back hand to die for.

Posted by: Sebastian | Nov 28, 2007 11:35:42 AM

3. Tom Cruise's next movie! "A Back Hand to Die For"

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 28, 2007 11:41:09 AM

4. Lol...you guys are funny! Well if he says he isn't...then he "obviously" isn't!

Posted by: Shabaka | Nov 28, 2007 12:23:17 PM

5. And the award for the most awkward interviewee of the year goes to...

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 28, 2007 12:28:14 PM

6. Oh Miss Gasquet, puh-leeez!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 28, 2007 12:31:05 PM

7. Sorry, but he's far from cute. And no, it is not "obvious" that he's straight.

More importantly.... will anyone remember or care about him in a year or two?

Posted by: Jonathon | Nov 28, 2007 12:33:29 PM

8. I wonder if it's because the bloggers and the press have nothing better to do than hound him about his sexuality, planting rumors and insinuating that he's had an affair with some older guy. I'd be pissed too, especially since he's a great tennis player and the news should be about that. I think the gay bloggers should get the f*ck off his back and find something worthy of reporting.

Posted by: bryan | Nov 28, 2007 12:47:02 PM

9. I dunno, Bryan, he brought his own hanging rope here.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 28, 2007 2:20:52 PM

10. Well ANON....maybe it was just a premptive strike.......after all he was being interviewed by **Outsport's**, so he figured the question was coming.

He is cute(but that's always a subjective term)and a pretty good tennis player, so his fame will last longer than Jonathon's most likely. :)

Posted by: Joshua | Nov 28, 2007 8:07:37 PM

11. Whenever a guy volunteers that he is not gay when no one asked him if he was, it suggest that he probably is. Of course, this guy already had a rumour or two about him so maybe he felt obligated to head off the question when he mentioned he had only "men friends, but I'm not gay". Hmmm. The pretty little French boy doth protest too much, methinks.

Posted by: mike | Jan 13, 2008 6:44:05 AM