Books | Christopher Isherwood | Fashion Men | Film | News | Tom Ford

Tom Ford to Direct Adaptation of Gay Isherwood Novel?

Fordshower

Fashion designer and towel-snapper Tom Ford's film career may not yet be over after all.

IsherwoodWWD reports: "Word is that Ford has set his eyes on directing the movie adaptation of Christopher Isherwood's 1964 novel, A Single Man. Few details could be learned, and his spokeswoman did not return calls for comment, but the book depicts a day in the life of a gay man in Los Angeles — a notion that Hollywood resident Ford should be all too familiar with. Ford launched his namesake men's bespoke business earlier this year, but has made no secret of his ambitions to break into the movie game since leaving Gucci Group in 2004."

No doubt Ford will insert himself into the film in his own Hitchcock-style cameo.

You may have missed...
Tom Ford: "I'm an Equal Opportunity Objectifier" [tr]
Tom Ford is a Towel Snapper [tr]
Tom Ford Unenthused Over Jungle Red Hand Job [tr]

Comments

1. God Why?

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 27, 2007 1:26:57 PM

2. Will TF be playing a Munchkin?

Posted by: ggreen | Nov 27, 2007 1:35:30 PM

3. I'm excited. Not sure how the film will come out, but aside from Christopher and His Kind, this is one of my favorite Isherwood books. I think the film has great potential. It reads like a Dogme 95 collective film, and I hope that the film will stay true to the barren emotion and sense of loneliness that the book portrays. I'll be curious to see it and hope for the best!

Posted by: Tyler | Nov 27, 2007 1:48:38 PM

4. I still don't know who or what this man is, but he must have a lot of time on his hands, and a lot of money. He oughtta' work on building up his buns or glutes-- and I'm not trying to be mean, but he keeps showin' them naked to people.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 27, 2007 1:48:58 PM

5. Why would Ford think that just because he is a celebrity, he can make a successful film? Isherwood is probably rolling over in his grave as we speak.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 27, 2007 1:57:46 PM

6. It is such a fine book that I hope he doesn't F it up.

Posted by: sam | Nov 27, 2007 1:59:20 PM

7. Tom Ford, Benjamin Nicholas, Domenico Nesci, Calvin Klein, Joe Francis, Jack Mackenroth, Kevin Federline....

If I'd known it was National Trailer Trash Day I would have bought extra Tater Tots [not to be confused with Federline's kids]. Sorry.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Nov 27, 2007 2:19:13 PM

8. Oh, no. A fine and sensitive and moving novel to be brought to the screen by an over-rated fashion designer. Why not let Paris Hilton direct a remake of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD? She's about as well qualified as Ford.

Posted by: Roscoe | Nov 27, 2007 2:23:05 PM

9. Tom Ford. Up until a month or so ago I had no idea who he even was. And I'm a gay man. So I looked up a couple of his interviews. Maybe he's talented; I don't know. He's certainly self-absorbed. And he apparently can't shut up. Yawn.

Posted by: Fundbud62 | Nov 27, 2007 2:41:53 PM

10. It's a quietly heartbreaking book... the ending shattered me. Not really sure Tom Ford has the depth to convey Isherwood's intentions. He, like his contemporary Marc Jacobs, seem completely caught up in looking pretty and being popular. But I'd check it out with an open mind.

Posted by: SIMON | Nov 27, 2007 3:15:28 PM

11. Sigh. "About a Gay man in LA.. A notion Hollywood resident, Ford should know.." What a moronic quote from WWD.

Simon is right: It is a quietly heartbreaking book, the last day of an aging professor who's lost his lover years ago. It's a deeply felt novel, and it prefigures the losses many gay men would have in the future due to AIDS. It's also very perceptive about the subtle ways society can make gay people feel apart, even when they are well-meaning.

I like Tom Ford for what he does, but am entirely unsure he's the one to do this. Do you think Ford would have the slightest interest in an actual middle-aged professor, today? Maybe.

Posted by: Arundel | Nov 27, 2007 3:44:50 PM

12. Oh joy. An overrated designer is going to make a movie so that he can give all his boy toys a job.

Posted by: wetcnt | Nov 27, 2007 3:57:56 PM

13. To Arundel,
    (You wrote: Do you think Ford would have the slightest interest in an actual middle-aged professor, today? Maybe.)

Yes, I think he would, he has been with his partner journalist Richard Buckley for over twenty years. Buckley is 59 years old.

Posted by: Christian | Dec 1, 2007 7:21:51 PM

14. Tom Ford bores me to tears....Oh please tell him to just go away now.His gucci-goo days are gone..

Posted by: Tex | Dec 1, 2007 8:57:24 PM