I'm Not Gay | Music | News | Pete Wentz

Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz: Part of Me Wishes I Was Gay

Wentz4

Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz talked to National Public Radio (NPR) about how he's bending gender roles in rock. Because of that it's often suggested that he's secretly hiding his homosexuality, but Wentz denies it:

Wentz3"I would never come out and say I'm gay, because I'm not gay. There's part of me that kind of wishes I was gay, and I think that comes from anybody constantly wishing they were in the minority and constantly wants to be fighting everybody off."

Part of it, he says, is his obsession with make-up —particularly eyeliner — which for Wentz has been coined guyliner.

Says the rocker: "I started wearing it because I felt like it tested some boundaries. Smear it. Because if you're a guy, you don't want your makeup to look perfect. My whole point is I think there's something in art where you should be making people feel uncomfortable."

Wentz1

Fall Out Boy Rewrites the Gender Roles of Rock [npr]

Previously
How Gay is Pete Wentz? [tr]
Pete Wentz Grooming Tips: Guyliner [tr]
Pete Wentz: Monday Morning Jedi [tr]
Pete Wentz's Deviant Caveman Lips are Ready for You [tr]

Comments

1. Bleah! Those tongues are creepin' me out!

Posted by: Michael W. | Dec 3, 2007 9:22:45 AM

2. A larger part of me is very thankful he is not.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 3, 2007 9:35:57 AM

3. Is a rock star who wears eyeliner really "testing boundaries" these days? Haven't rock stars been wearing make up for the last thousand years? The only boundaries he's probably testing is his mothers.

Posted by: JJ | Dec 3, 2007 9:41:21 AM

4. Come on, rock stars have been wearing eyeliner for 40 years. Pete Wentz is a nice lad why make such a big deal about his choice in make up? Most gay men don't wear eyeliner. These are just insipid, stupid questions from some media hack trying to create "controversy":

Pete Wentz, Is he or isn't?!! Stupid minds need to know!

What the hell. Every other day, it seems some kinda handsome heterosexual star is asked about his sexuality (probably arranged by his PR flack), and the press (straight and gay) jump all over it. As if it makes any difference when everyone knows the guy is straight.

This thing with Wentz has been going on for the last few years. Give it up. It's not news.

Posted by: noah | Dec 3, 2007 9:55:56 AM

5. It sewer isn't news! He was in Rolling Stone a year ago saying he's "half-gay."

The only thing I want to add is that adding "man" or "guy" to something doesn't make it not girly. My toenails were once painted for a fashion show (I'm not saying it isn't gay) and I left the paint on for a few days and was wearing sandals. My ex came up to me and said those nails were gay, to which I said, "You're wearing capris, moron." To which he replied, "Nuh-uh, they're MANpris."

Posted by: justincredible | Dec 3, 2007 10:33:16 AM

6. The more he talks, the more he sounds like a queen. I remeber reading his "half-gay" quote, too.

He's still a cutie, though.

Posted by: Rad | Dec 3, 2007 10:38:42 AM

7. First of all, why does he keep bringing up the gay issue always if it's not true on some level? And really, who cares?

And I suppose there could be some sort of 'charm' there somewhere, if you're into rockers with no doubt all kinds of STDs. It looks like you could get crabs by looking at him.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 3, 2007 11:45:06 AM

8. who in thier right mind wouldn't wish they were gay if they are dating that air-head ashlee simpson.

Posted by: johnosahon | Dec 3, 2007 12:11:59 PM

9. He keeps bringing it up because while rock stars have been omni sexual for years, right now there aren't so many openly gay rock stars so if he can position himself as sexually ambivalent he can profit so much more.

The guy is dating an uber LA bimbo doll. There's nothing challenging about that.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 3, 2007 2:11:21 PM

10. Meanwhile, the singer for AFI, Davey Havok is a total drag queen and no one has noticed.

Posted by: RP | Dec 3, 2007 3:27:55 PM

11. All of me wishes Pete Wentz was gay!

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 3, 2007 5:08:01 PM

12. "Part of me wishes I were gay" - I know which part!
    Wentz looks slightly like a love-child between Val Kilmer and Justin Long...

Posted by: Loonesta | Dec 3, 2007 5:18:00 PM

13. I've lived long enough to see Alice Cooper, David Bowie, The Dolls, Iggy Pop, and even the Stones all wearing tons of eye
    liner and this dweeb thinks he's so radical? What can one say other than to roll your eyes and say,"oh Mary"!!

Posted by: Greg S. | Dec 3, 2007 7:02:13 PM

14. Poor man, he's beyond stupid. Wearing eyeliner does not mean anyone is gay at all, especially if you are in a pop-rock band without much talent and have to call attention on you by making stupid statements and dating a well-proven untalented skank more famous for a famous lipsynch mishap and her nowe jobs than for anything else. Being gay means connecting physically, affectively, romantically and maybe intellectually to people of your same sex (I know there are simpler definitions, but this is mine), and not wearing eyeliner, make-up or even women's clothes. He needs to get a grip and quit the attention-seeking brainless statements. Oh and I won't even comment on that "testing the boundaries" statement. WTF? Does he think he's the first male musician (if he can be called so) to wear make-up? He thinks he's a vanguardist, poor idiot. He's as radical, extreme and boundary-testing as Avril Lavigne is a punk rocker.

Posted by: Quique | Dec 4, 2007 1:40:03 AM

15. There are many parts in me that wish you were gay too... Or maybe my parts are right and its not just wishful thinking. Pete Wentz is plain and simply "nasty fine hot".

Posted by: Edensasp | Dec 8, 2007 2:42:10 PM

16. OMG!!!u are sooooo HOT i love u so and hes waz gay but now he is marred so hes not still right

Posted by: kitona | Nov 18, 2008 4:14:55 PM