Bill clinton | Mike Huckabee | New York | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #210

NEW YORK SUBWAY VIOLENCE #1: A hate crime attack on the Q train. Christians attack Jews on the subway. The only person who came to their aid was a Muslim student from Bangladesh.

NEW YORK SUBWAY VIOLENCE #2: A group of black women attack a white man who is now pressing charges. He says he did not fight back because he felt it was wrong to hit women. The women reportedly posted the video to YouTube.

BILL CLINTON: Heckled by a man dressed as a robot who insists he apologize to Sister Souljah. The robot, Iowa professor Kembrew McLeod, explains why he did it.

SENATOR KIT BOND (R-MO) on TORTURE: The ranking Republican on the Senate intelligence committee on waterboarding — "It's like swimming - freestyle, backstroke..."

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here

Comments

1. Too bad I wasn't on the train, I'd love beatin' me up some Christians.

Posted by: JLS | Dec 12, 2007 4:59:37 PM

2. The bitches look like a bunch of savages on the Youtube tape. But what started the conflict? Five or six against one who won't fight back!--the act of cowards (female cowards in this case). But does anybody know what started the argument?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 12, 2007 5:08:48 PM

3. I don't care where you grew up or what kind of socioeconomic status you're in. The behavior of those girls (not women... girls... ) is completely unacceptable. I feel sorry for everyone else on that train who had to endure that kind of bullshit behavior. They should all have been arrested.

And I'm sorry, but since when do the rules of gentlemanly behavior require men to accept being hit, punched, or otherwise assaulted by unruly females? Women fighting for respect and equality should be ashamed of these neanderthals.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 12, 2007 5:16:22 PM

4. Sorry Derrick, have to disagree with you on the use of that word to describe them, and, plus, that youtube thing seems as FAKE as $3 dollar bill. No man is going to get a beat down like that, and, then there's an 'amateur" photographer there filming it? And, how long did it take this dude to file charges? Sorry, FAKE.

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 12, 2007 5:17:41 PM

5. The Muslim-helping-Jews story depicts a lovely, heroic deed. But I don't appreciate the stereotypical assumptions that newspapers and TV stations are relying on to discuss this deed. In New York City, the Muslims and Jewish communities do not have a major problem as far as I know. That we should be surprised or impressed that a Muslim should want to help a Jew in trouble implies, to me, that such kindness would be unexpected from a Muslim. Otherwise enlightened journalists actually seem to be suggesting, without saying it, that most Muslims would let a Jew get beaten up. I don't like this assumption of the audience's expectations.

Posted by: PJ | Dec 12, 2007 5:21:35 PM

6. I think the Muslim student is genuinely a nice guy regardless of his faith. He is really cute too!

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 12, 2007 5:30:01 PM

7. Andy - not sure if you realize, but the video for "NEW YORK SUBWAY VIOLENCE #1:" appears to have been posted by an antisemitic/racist user, "ORIONWhiteNow." You're sending your readers to his/her video and giving him visibility.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 12, 2007 5:38:07 PM

8. Sebastian, I also have to wonder about the "validity" of that girls vs. guy "attack". Who would be stupid enough to let someone FILM them while attacking a victim? And if the camera girl is in on it, why would she then POST it on Youtube, knowing that she can easily be caught and arrested as an accomplice? And yes, why did this "victim" wait until now to file a report?
    On the other hand, IF it is false why would the "victim" risk being charged with filing a phony police report? None of it makes sense to me.

As for the Jewish attack, the perpetrator Joseph Joirovec has been offered a plea deal for admitting an attack on two Black men. Yet, prosecutors can't "decide" whether to charge him for a hate crime! Are they shittin' me?!!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Dec 12, 2007 5:41:36 PM

9. I read about vid #1 incident this morning over at Dkos.

Someone over there mentioned the irony of the situation in that a "heathen" muslim was the good samaritan were as the xtians were the exact opposite of what their particular myth supposedly promotes.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 12, 2007 5:55:58 PM

10. Did Bill respond: "Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto"?

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 12, 2007 6:28:11 PM

11. Did anyone else catch that bullshit about water boarding? I mean come on I read in the wall street journal that members of congress knew about the torture and even encouraged it. For some reason seeing such obvious political maneuvering really grinds my gears. I wish politicians were more honest about the facts.... I think that it would make the world better. But hey look at me spouting all this hopeful idealists longing.... now back to pragmatism.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 12, 2007 6:28:58 PM

12. Andy, how do you gather he's white? His name is Rafael Cruz and the news report doesn't mention his race (although Rafael Cruz is basically code for Spanish).

Posted by: Aaron | Dec 12, 2007 6:53:50 PM

13. It was reported the other day that the black girls on white guy attack was real, indeed. Apparently, they felt they could get away with it, as is often the case with young felons. Sadly, I doubt much will happen with the man's case, however. This city just can't ever seem to fathom a reverse bias crime, for lack of a better phrase. Same goes for the Christians versus Jews case.

Posted by: Bill H | Dec 12, 2007 7:55:13 PM

14. One of the girl's father pleaded with the victim to file charges, because the man didn't come forward for weeks.

And lets not act like their are a slew of Black people getting away with brutalizing White people. That's a crock of sh!t. These girls were probably taking part in a practice that started with White youths, who's socio-ecoonic status was quite good. These White kids would video tape themselves beating up strangers, usually Black homless men, and then post the beatings on line.

Posted by: Cadence | Dec 12, 2007 8:13:08 PM

15. I couldn't understand a word from those women (who behaved like animals) but what started this? And isn't it amazing that in 2007, in a so-called civilized society, we have women (one expects it from men to a certain extent) behaving so pathetically...don't send them to jail, send them to school. What an embarrassing display that simply reinforces the worst stereotypes.

Posted by: bryan | Dec 12, 2007 8:23:47 PM

16. Well said Derrick!

Posted by: Theo | Dec 12, 2007 8:30:10 PM

17. Unfortunately the kind of behavior exhibited by the Black girls is all-too-common (and all-too accepted) by the ghetto thug underclass in our cities who excuse it by blaming racism and "whitey".

I'm sure they thought their violent and anti-social behavior could be excused because their ancestors were once slaves and they were just getting retribution on whitey.

Bill Cosby is right. The Black underclass are causing their own plight and sinking ever deeper into the muck of their own design and then expecting society to bail them out through welfare.

Posted by: LightningLord | Dec 12, 2007 9:54:28 PM

18. What an ignorant post lightninglord

Hey, since senator craig liked bathroom sex all gay men like bathroom sex is the equivalent of what you are saying.

A small group of girls act like asses thus all black people act that way.

What a load of crap your post was.

What the girls did was horendous. It does not reflect on the vastly larger and law abiding black comunity.

The KKK called and said they thatnk you for your help with the lynching and they will can;t wait to lynch you as soon as they have a date available.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 12, 2007 10:21:42 PM

19. sorry for the typos

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 12, 2007 10:23:03 PM

20. It's very interesting to read the comments about the women: "savages" and "animals."

Why aren't similar comments being made about the "Caucasian" Christian youth who attacked the Jewish group? Why are these white youth somehow less "savage"?

Why don't those who spout crap about the "black underclass" say similar things about the backgrounds of the violent white youth? Moreover, what does the action of this small group of women have to say about millions of other people in the actions of the white youth say nothing about millions of whites?

To paraphrase the Church Lady: "Could it be racism?"

You betcha!

It's amazing to see the knee jerk racist comments with no trace of self-reflection from gay men who are stereotyped and denounced themselves as animals, men who can't control their sex drive and are a sexual threat to children.

How are any of you racists any different from the homophobes like the Rev. Hutcherson or Rev. Dobson who issue the same kind of broad, bigoted and vicious statements as you issued? Your hatred is just as intense it seems; and your ability to feel self-righteous and superior seems to reach the standard set by Dobson.

How often has this site featured news items of white homophobes who have gay-bashed or murdered white gay men and lesbians? What of the organized efforts by politicians in Russia or Latvia, for example, that led to bloodshed? What about the attack this summer on Michael Sandy by white youth? Or the attack in the California park on a Fijian gay man by a group of white Slavic immigrants?

Did any of you cry out against the white underclass when two lower-class white males killed Matthew Sheppard?

So maybe you folks wouldn't beat up an African-American, but would you inflict pain and torment some other way if given the chance? Would you deny a job? Sabotage a career? Falsely accuse someone of a crime or cast a vote against someone because of his/her race?

At the end of the day, you and those nice white Christian anti-semitics share a similar mindset.

Posted by: noah | Dec 13, 2007 1:46:02 AM

21. Whenever I want to be taken seriously I always dress like a robot and stand on a chair.

And "[waterboarding is] like swimming..."

Um... WTF? How can you spew BS like that with a straight face?

Posted by: RP | Dec 13, 2007 8:08:30 AM

22. Amen noah

Well said!

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 13, 2007 9:17:42 AM

23. To gang attack someone who has made it clear that she/he will not respond is savage. I wish there were a stronger word to use. Whether the attackers are black, white, Latino, gay or straight.

In my initial comment, obviously, I was also making a preemptive strike against the blatantly racist comments I knew were coming. I should have questioned Andy as to why the races of the participants was in the title of the story since racial insults didn't seem to be part of the attack--well, I couldn't hear the initial argument/insults. That's why I asked does anybody know what started the hostility?

Once you've been a victim of this type of gang attack, you never forget the horror. I've survived this kind of brutality from both white and black savages. I've said the same thing on Keith Boykin's, Jasmyne Cannick's and Rod McCullum's blogs; I aint gonna' keep my mouth shut when it comes to this type of beastial behavior--it hits too close to home.

So, yes, I still say the bitches behaved like savages--almost as savage as the many white men who have committed atrocities against black women for centuries ("almost" because this incident didn't end in gang rape, mutiliation, and murder). The Latino guy made it clear he wouldn't fight back. A civilized human being wouldn't get pleasure from humiliating and beating somebody who won't defend themselves.

SEBASTIAN, I appreciate your patient admonition as far as me so being "gullible", but the "scene" seemed too real and too ugly to me. But again, I ask, is there any information on what precipitated the incident?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 13, 2007 10:06:35 AM

24. For those of you who are questioning the validity of the girl attack video: This is a very common thing now for gangs of girls to do. Usually they fight other girls, video it, and post in online. In this case the unlucky victim was a guy on the subway who probably wanted to just forget about the whole thing until he saw that it was posted on youtube.

If any of you understand how victims of crimes normally react, most retreat into silence and never report it. Unfortunately what happened here is all too common on several fronts. And your reactions are also common - blame the victim.

Posted by: wetcnt | Dec 13, 2007 10:40:51 AM

25. Ew. Sorry to say, but I'm not surprised they were black. The African American community needs to pull it together. Just last week one of my Latina friends was jumped by 3 black girls.

Posted by: Cody | Dec 13, 2007 12:36:31 PM