Books | News | Tom Cruise

Morton Tell-All Claims Tom Cruise is Scientology #2

News hit the tabloids over the weekend about Andrew Morton's new book, Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography, and the actor's lawyers aren't pleased.

Cruise_mortonThese are some of the details the book reportedly alleges:

— Cruise is second-in-command at Church of Scientology.

— David Miscavige, Scientology's #1, planted a huge field of wildflowers because Cruise wanted to run through one with Nicole Kidman after their marriage.

— Kidman doesn't speak out about Scientology for fear the organizaiton will release "audit" tapes which detail every aspect of one's sex and fantasy life.

— Cruise's current mission is to recruit David and Victoria Beckham.

— a 500-acre resort in Hemet, California is Miscavige's "secret lair" where he lives with Scientology's most devoted followers, some of whom believe that Katie Holmes was impregnated by L. Ron Hubbard's sperm in a kind of "Rosemary's Baby" pregnancy.

— Penelope Cruz escaped the clutches of the "religion" with the help of her father and an organization devoted to helping cult members and their families.

According to Britain's Daily Mail: "[Morton] quotes Hubbard's son, Ronald De Wolf, who fell out with his father, giving a Playboy interview: 'You have complete control of someone if you have every detail of his sex life and fantasy life on record. In Scientology the focus is on sex. Sex, sex, sex. The first thing we wanted to know about someone we were auditing was his sexual deviations. All you've got to do is find a person's kinks, whatever they might be. Their dreams and their fantasies. Then you can fit a ring through their noses and take them anywhere. You promise to fulfil their fantasies or you threaten to expose them.' Morton says Karen Pressley was at Gold Base one evening when John Travolta's sexuality was openly discussed. He writes: ''It made my head spin,' she recalls, 'and made me realise that the idea of confidentiality was a chimera.' As another Scientology executive admitted bluntly, 'These files come in handy if they want to blackmail you'.'"

According to the tabloid, the book makes no claims about the actor's sexuality.

Cruise's attorney Bert Fields is threatening legal action based on the reaction of the public.

Diana author names Tom Cruise as 'World Number Two in Scientology' [daily mail]
SLAMS VS. SECT IN TELL-ALL ON TOM [ny post]

Comments

1. The only reason I ever noticed Ms. Cruise was because of the underwear air-guitar scene from "Risky Business". He's not a great actor. He gets by on personality, but he doesn't inhabit his characters. He just reads lines well. His voice and mannerisms -- like listening to George Bush and his "heh heh heh's" is akin to fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jan 7, 2008 12:22:33 PM

2. "Bert Fields is threatening legal action based on the reaction of the public."

Gee, Bert, I don't care a whit about your client Tom Cruise. Haven't in years & years.

So sue me.

Posted by: basis4insanity | Jan 7, 2008 12:23:56 PM

3. A Second #2 for you:

Madonna / Kaballah.

Why? Because both these two have given the most money. It's not about spiritual growth. It's about the $ and the face time.

Posted by: Br!on | Jan 7, 2008 3:48:11 PM

4. tom cruise's religion is bullshit.I too am not afraid of your lawyers. sue me if u like.If he's lucky ,one day he will realise his mistake.

Posted by: jonnie | Jan 8, 2008 10:54:22 AM

5. The book is not being sold yet and not given out to journalists. So how do you know that this stuff is actually in there? The most basic teachings of Scientology are that man is a spirit and not his/her body. Thus "sperms" and the body donating them are the most unimportant part of procreation. If Morton had done any research at all or talked to anyone at all he had realized how disgusting those allegations are. Maybe he actually has. In that case I hope he is being sued into oblivion.

Posted by: Lu | Jan 8, 2008 7:14:16 PM

6. The author of this book is a complete fool and a hugely pathetic man. His allegations are absolutely disgusting, and I would laugh [and if angry enough, spit] in his face were I too meet him. He is an enemy of society. The allegations he has made in this book are completely false, made up, shit that you find in the stupid tabloids at the supermarket. I feel bad for Mr. Tom Cruise and Ms. Katie Holmes, because this is invading their right to privacy. Who cares in the end. It is their life, let them live it. ETC.

Obviously this author did not do his research. Does he know anything about ARC, THETA, or such? Has he even researched the technology that Hubbard developed? Scientology and Dianetics are about souls, transcendance, and spiritual energy, IMO. I echo what Lu said. I hope this author is sued into oblivion as well.

Another thing. Scientology embraces homosexuality. I am not a scientologist. But I have MANY buddies who are Scientologists (and gay). These are good, honest, moral people. I shake my head and feel bad for Tom Cruise and hope he is able to get past this stupid book and these horrible allegations.

Posted by: The Mark | Jan 13, 2008 1:36:33 AM

7. Are'nt these comments by scientologists like The Mark enough to creep anyone out and be a warning about scientology? Scientologist get really angry
    if anyone criticizes them and it's okay for them to lie about not being a scientologist.

Posted by: bob dobbs | Jan 14, 2008 12:19:28 AM