Colin Farrell to Serve as Best Man at Gay Bro’s Civil Partnership

Colin Farrell’s brother Eamon and his boyfriend Steven are planning a civil partnership, and Colin has agreed to be the best man, according to reports.

Colin_eamonAccording to Pink News, “Eamon Farrell, 35, is planning to marry his 23-year-old boyfriend Steven Mannion after a proposing to him in New York last year. According to the Mirror: ‘Eamon proposed before Christmas. The pair share a love of art and this is what brought them together. Eamon is a respected dance teacher who set up the National Performing Arts School in Dublin more than 10 years ago. And Steven is a really talented artist who has been welcomed into the Farrell family.’…It is rumoured Colin, 31, helped Eamon choose a diamond and sapphire-studded ring for his boyfriend. The brothers are very close, and have bought houses next door to each other in Sandymount, South Dublin.”

Where the civil partnership will take place is still in question: “The couple have not yet decided where they will exchange vows – but it won’t be in the Republic. The insider told the Mirror: ‘With Irish legislation the way it is at the minute, the wedding can’t be here. But the couple could go to the North or England for a civil partnership ceremony there. It’s more likely though that they’ll get married in the States so Colin’s whole family can be there.”

Comments

1. Jeff says

re “A Home at the End of the World” – I second that, David. The book is a great read as well.

2. John says

If they do it in America, they’ll have to go to one of the states that’s included in the British civil partnership law’s “Schedule 20.”

If it’s not listed in Schedule 20, then it’s not a valid equivalent of a civil partnership. And they haven’t updated the list for 2008, so it can’t be New Hampshire…

California
    Connecticut
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    New Jersey
    Vermont

This is one of the reasons why having different legislation in every state (rather than national civil unions) leads to confusion.

3. C. Dean says

I’d expect an actual marriage in Canada would qualify under “Schedule 20,” since they plan to cross the Atlantic anyway ūüėČ

4. nic says

colin farrel — one of the straight guys i’ve appreciated and respected. good on his brother and future husband.

5. nic says

jeffreychrist,

have you ever considered that not everyone shares your cynicism? history is replete with examples of relationsips (both gay and straight) succeeding despite age differences. in this case, the difference is 12 years. is that, in your estimation, a death sentence for their love? what is wrong with you?

6. rudy says

C’mon JC, I find myself in agreement with Nic (for perhaps the first time[!]) as a result of long-term experience. I was 23 when I met my partner who was 35. That was almost 30 years ago. Yeah, I am the world’s oldest Towleroadie. I admit that it has taken a great deal of work to remain together but that is true of any relationship. Being gay, however, means that we do not enjoy all the societal support given freely to straights. Nevertheless, I foresee us together for the remainder of our lives. We are married in all but name.

7. patrick nyc says

Thanks Andy for a bit of good news from one of my favorite actors from my grandparents homeland.

8. Collin's Cousin says

Jeffery Christ

when Colin Farrell is your brother-in-law, I’m sure you will find a way to make it work.

9. J H Robbins says

NIC
    I agree with you about the age thing. I am 10 years older than my partner and we just celebrated 26 years together – we think it’s going to last.

10. says

We, IRELAND, haven’t got our act together on Civil Partnerships….but we’re working on it Marriage equality is out because of Constitutional problems…..we’d never get the electorate to change that !

11. says

And another thing; we watch/read/follow Towleroad closely, it’s one fantastic site for news of gay issues and for ideas and comments by fellow travelers. Thanks, Andy.

12. says

@junior:

are you calling Irishman Colin Farrell, or his brother an Englishman ? I’d take out insurance if I were you ! Or do you just not know you politics/geography from your elbow ?