Democratic Party | Dennis Kucinich | Election 2008 | News

BigGayDeal.com

Dennis Kucinich Ends Presidential Bid

Dennis Kucinich is dropping out of the presidential race, saying he'll hold a news conference today at noon today to announce it. Again.

Although his far left positions gave him little chance of getting anywhere in a presidential race, Kucinich should be thanked for making (or trying to make, as the case may be) important issues heard. For example: "I believe that equality of opportunity should be afforded to all Americans regardless of race, color, creed or sexual orientation. For that reason I support the right of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons to have the full protections and rights afforded under civil law including the right to marry the person of their choice."

Comments

1. There goes my only reason for voting in the primary.

Posted by: gay as life | Jan 25, 2008 8:41:00 AM

2. Ugh, and I already voted for him via absentee ballot...

Posted by: Jackie | Jan 25, 2008 9:30:35 AM

3. Mr. Kucinich is a good man. I wonder if he will endorse anyone in the primary. Bill Richardson did a good (if expedient) thing in keeping mum after he dropped out.

The NYT has strongly endorsed Hillary today, while in a bitch-slap to Giuliani, endorsed McCain. Altough, they semed to damn McCain with faint praise at the same time.

According to an average of polls from RCP.com (RealClearPolitics.com) Barack is leading in SC:

RCP Average of polls below 01/15 - 01/24 : Obama +11.8

ReutersC-Span/Zogby 01/22 - 01/24 :Obama +13
    SurveyUSA 01/22 - 01/23 : Obama +16
    Mason-Dixon 01/22 - 01/23 : Obama +8
    Clemson 01/15 - 01/23 : Obama +7
    Rasmussen 01/21 - 01/21 : OBAMA +15

This race continues to get more interesting.

Posted by: nic | Jan 25, 2008 10:08:41 AM

4. You know, I still think he was the best candidate. And remember in 2000 that Howard Dean still won Vermont after he dropped out. A vote for Kucinich is still taking a stand for what he believed in.

Posted by: Andy | Jan 25, 2008 10:21:56 AM

5. He was going to be my protest vote come Feb. 5. Now I have to choose bewteen Hill and Obama. Ugh.

Posted by: the other jeff | Jan 25, 2008 10:30:40 AM

6. Its absloutely pathetic that in this day and age a candidate like Dennis Kucinich is marginalized to the point where even a site like Towleroad dismisses him as 'far left'. Dennis was spot on about every issue that should be important to anyone whose priorities are in the right place (well, except for that Ron Paul incident), but was ignored by the mainstream media and, therefore, never given a proper platform from which to be heard. Far left? Only because the Democrats cling so firmly and coweringly to the frigid center. Think Hillary or Obama are going to offer any substantial change? Think again. Last night I marked my absentee ballot for Kucinich. He's still the only candidate I'll vote for. And he's going to introduce articles of impeachment against George Bush! Donate money to his congressional campaign! There'll be a concerted effort from the wingnuts to keep him from being re-elected.

Posted by: djork | Jan 25, 2008 11:22:43 AM

7. I'm disappointed that great candidates like Kucinich will always have "who has no chance" attached to their name.

Kucinich was the only candidate I liked.

Third parties, here I come!

Posted by: Matt | Jan 25, 2008 11:35:36 AM

8. What a good man. How disappointing. I think he embodies the true American thinking that you just don't see much of these days. The system is broken!

Posted by: Pugzz | Jan 25, 2008 11:57:42 AM

9. I agree with Gayaslife here. What choices are left for us? Crap, crap, and more crap.

Kucinich was marginalized by the media and given no time to be heard. This shows you who the corporations want in the White House: someone that is in their pockets.

America is screwed anyways. It's beginning to smell like Rome in 476 of the Common Era.

Posted by: Gary | Jan 25, 2008 12:01:11 PM

10. "Far left"?!

Andy, shame on you for framing this using Republican language. Kucinich is certainly not "far left" in global standards.

Posted by: David | Jan 25, 2008 12:40:23 PM

11. Kucinich was the only candidate who espoused the same beliefs and values that I hold. I am very disapointed that he dropped out. I will vote for him in the primaries via a write-in vote.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 25, 2008 4:39:47 PM

12. See video: Kucinich Drops Out and Doesn't Endorse Anyone

Posted by: Tom | Jan 25, 2008 4:53:39 PM

13. See video: Kucinich Drops Out and Doesn't Endorse Anyone

Posted by: Tom | Jan 25, 2008 4:54:08 PM

14. This was assuming that his campaign even got "started"...

At least his vanity has some limits.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jan 25, 2008 5:01:23 PM

15. well it seems all those above (excpet maybe "Tom") shared my love of Dennis. I hope some of you also contributed to his campaign. The bumperstickers will stay on my car, the lawn sign stays, and if he's on the ballot when I vote (probably printed ahead of time) he'll still get my vote. I get so sick and tired of people saying, "I'd vote for him if I thought he had a chance." Well, maybe he'd have a chance if all those dumb shits voted for him.

Posted by: Dean | Jan 25, 2008 8:15:17 PM

16. Same here -- the bumper sticker is staying!

Posted by: Lia | Jan 25, 2008 8:35:16 PM

17. @ANON (gmail.com),

unlike the megalomaniacal Nader who helped bring this country to its knees, its nadir, if you please. pity. he was once a worthy man.

Posted by: nic | Jan 26, 2008 12:47:44 PM

18. Nic, So now you Democrats are going to try to stick us with Obama who openly panders to foul mouthed bigots or Clinton who sat on the Board of Directors for the union busters at Wal-Mart. They both oppose socialized medicine and support Bush's genocidal war in Iraq. Clinton wants to extend the war into Iran and Obama one-ups her, calling for an attack on Pakistan. Both support NAFTA.

nics party, the Democratic Party raped ENDA, buried the Matthew Shepard hate crimes bill and refuses to repeal DADT and DOMA, both bills passed by overwhelming Democratic majorities. That was done to prevent them becoming issues in 2008. Your party is sabotaging our chances for protective laws while upholding bigoted laws. The republicans are just as bad.

Since the Reagan ere the Republicans and Democrats have cut taxes for the rich and cut welfare for the poor. Now your party's deregulation and attacks on unions are sending the economy into a tailspin. Happy?

I and tens of millions of others will vote for any left wing party or just ignore the elections because we refuse to be caught in the lesser evil trap.

A Republican politician is a baboon in a people suit with a totalitarian christian attached at the hip. A Democratic politician is a Republican in drag.

The hamfisted reaction of Democrats to Nader, the Greens and the emergence of other political groups to the left of the right-centrist Democrats (sic) are a signal that the radicalization of American politics is in full swing. We're unfortunately not going to see the end of Democratic (sic) scam artists in 2008 but the splintering and breakup of that party is assured because their politics are far to the right of their constituents.

nic, say hello to Leland.. er, Bedwell for me.

And nic, keep in mind the words of a real writer, Gore Vidal, who says "...there is only one party in the United States, the Property Party...and it has two right wings: Republican and Democrat. Republicans are a bit stupider, more rigid, more doctrinaire in their laissez-faire capitalism than the Democrats, who are cuter, prettier, a bit more corrupt-until recently... and more willing than the Republicans to make small adjustments when the poor, the black, the anti-imperialists get out of hand. But, essentially, there is no difference between the two parties

Posted by: Bill Perdue, RainbowRED | Jan 26, 2008 9:20:07 PM