Armistead Maupin | Books | Jake Shears | Jeff Whitty | News | Scissor Sisters | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Jake Shears Penning Musical Version of Tales of the City

Spinner reports that Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears has been hard at work on a set of tunes for a musical version of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.

Maupin_2Spinner reports: "Since his pal, Jeff Whitty, sent him a note asking him what he thought of the books a year ago, Shears has been coming up with ideas and melodies. 'Over a year ago, I got a note from him saying, 'What do you think of 'Tales of the City?' I'm crazy about 'Tales!' I grew up on the books,' Shears enthuses. 'They were a big part of my teenager-hood. They're just great, great books with amazing characters and I love the era. My heart just started racing. I got very excited about it.' He's spent almost a year working on the project already, amassing 15 numbers. 'It's poppy and since there's no arrangement yet, all of our writing is just piano and my voice,' he explains. 'As it take shape, it's gonna even take on more of a style.''

Whitty wrote the book for Avenue Q.

According to Spinner, Scissor Sisters have also just begun working in the studio again on their third album:

"The flashy New York City five-piece are currently forcing themselves to hit the studio on a daily basis, to pen a host of new tunes. So far, Shears said they've come up with a handful of new 'really dancy' pop numbers and at least one sparkling rendition of someone else's song. 'We've started out with a really cool cover, which I'm not even gonna say what it is,' Shears says coyly. 'I mean, no one would know anyway. It's a pretty obscure song.'"

Previously
Jake Shears Interviews Dolly Parton in UK Special [tr]
Jake Shears Would "Take That" if Asked [tr]
Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears and Partner to Get Hitched [tr]

Comments

1. What a great idea. I loved the books and the TV Shows. Whatever happened to Marcus D'Amico? He was the perfect Michael Tolliver. Mmm-mm-good!

Posted by: WOODROAD34 | Jan 17, 2008 4:57:45 PM

2. Fabulous, love the books, I too grew up on them.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jan 17, 2008 5:37:18 PM

3. This is all good to know. But the truly big Scissors Sisters headline this week is that Del Marquis is newly single. Have at it, ladies!

Posted by: 24play | Jan 17, 2008 5:41:36 PM

4. Is no one going to mention those pants?

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 17, 2008 5:42:19 PM

5. O.k. I will. What the hell is she wearing?

Posted by: Bud | Jan 17, 2008 5:53:30 PM

6. Whitty is NOT the creator of Avenue Q. He was brought in to write a book that stringed together musical numbers that the Bobby Lopez and Jeff Marx wrote long before there was even a possibility of a Broadway show. "Book by Jeff Whitty; Based on an original concept by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx."

Though Jeff Whitty is adorable and lovely.

Posted by: ted | Jan 17, 2008 6:34:33 PM

7. Yes, the pants.

I'd wear 'em if I could pull 'em off.

Instead, I'll just have to think about pulling them off of Shears.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 17, 2008 6:50:45 PM

8. Several years ago, composer David Maddux took an entire chapter from the second Tales of the City novel and word-for-word set it to music for Seattle Men's Chorus (this was for a show Maupin did with SMC). It's more anthemic than Broadway but still, a hell of a good song: "Michael's Letter to Mama."

Posted by: MyDogBen | Jan 17, 2008 8:29:20 PM

9. Ugh - the most over-rated hack from the most insipid band in all of gay-dom writing a musical based on these mediocre-at-best books already made into not-one-but-two awful, dated miniseries 20 years ago. Thrilled, I'm sure.
    If any of these songs sound anything like a Scissor Sisters album, it's sure to be a disaster.
    And someone tell girlyman up there to eat a ham sandwich or something.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Jan 17, 2008 8:38:26 PM

10. What would nina & michael say about that outfit?

Posted by: chris | Jan 17, 2008 10:49:50 PM

11. Yeah, out of every ridiculous thing Jake has put on in concert thats one of my top "wtf?'s". I like him nekkid much better!

Posted by: Toto | Jan 17, 2008 11:06:14 PM

12. If you liked the books, get the new one "Michael Tolliver Lives". It's like visiting old friends. I read it in a day and was sad when it ended. It's a great follow up to the original series of books which we're probably my favorite read ever.
    I hope the musical is half as good as the books.

Posted by: JJ | Jan 18, 2008 9:04:30 AM

13. I too have wondered what happened to Marcus D' Amico. I saw him in a play on Broadway in 1994 after TALES OF THE CITY titled AN INSPECTOR CALLS. I was shocked to learn that he is really an Englishman! Who knew his Southern accent as Michael "Mouse" Toliver was assumed as part of his character? Also, how great is it that Laura Linney (Mary Ann Singleton) has gone on to be an Oscar nominated actress? The musical has a lot to live up to and I can't wait to see it!

Posted by: Bob | Mar 14, 2008 8:39:48 PM