Crime | Indiana | News

BigGayDeal.com

Defendant Pleads Guilty in Beating Death of Indiana Gay Man

Hall

I wrote about the beating death of Aaron "Shorty" Hall of Crothersville, Indiana last June. Hall was attacked and fatally assaulted after allegedly propositioning 19-year-old Garret Gray and 18-year-old Coleman King. Crothersville is a southern Indiana town halfway between Indianapolis and Louisville.

AaronshortyhallDaily Kos wrote at the time that Gray and King "were so freaked out when 'propositioned' by Aaron Hall on April 12th, that they proceeded to beat the 100 pound, 5'4 man for hours, using their fists, boots, dragging him down a staircase while his head slammed into each step, and then throwing him in a ditch and leaving. Aaron managed to crawl out of the ditch and out into a nearby field, where he died, alone and naked."

Mainstream media hardly noticed.

Today it was reported that Gray admitted to voluntary manslaughter under a plea agreement: "The agreement calls for Gray to serve a 30-year prison sentence and dismisses a charge of murder, which carried a potential sentence of 45 to 65 years upon conviction."

Gray's accomplice King pleaded guilty under identical terms and will be sentenced at the end of the month.

According to the Courier-Journal, "A third defendant, James Hendricks, 21, still faces a charge of assisting a criminal for allegedly helping Gray and King dump Hall's body...Hendricks drove Gray's truck while the other two continued beating Hall in the bed of the pickup until they dumped him in a ditch, the affidavit said. The document said the men went back days later, wrapped the body in a tarp and put it in an outbuilding at Gray's house, where police later found it."

Indianakillers

2nd man guilty in fatal beating [courier journal]

Previously
Indiana Hate Crime Ignored as Killers Prepare 'Gay Panic' Defense [tr]

Comments

1. Wow, for a trio who hates buttfucking so much, they're about to get a whole mess of it for the next 30 years. Maybe we should send them some lube, as a Christian humanitarian offering.

Gay panic, my ass. They deserve every year.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 4, 2008 4:36:36 PM

2. Wow, a plea bargain that got him 30 years! While the lack of a hate crime addition onto the sentence is disgusting, 30 years is still adequate (imo).

What a waste of life, both that of the victim and the murderers. I'm not on the side of the killers, but I still think 30 years in prison is a horrible way to spend a life.

I don't want to sound like a hippy but the world needs a little more peace and love these days...

Posted by: Taylor | Jan 4, 2008 4:37:01 PM

3. What a disgusting thing to have happen! Yet, it serves to reinforce that we, as gay men, need to learn effective self-defense to prevent future tragedies from happening.

Posted by: Lou | Jan 4, 2008 4:47:52 PM

4. Two bit, trifling, potheads/methheads who will reap the benefits of a life they will come to hate more than the gays they "fear." And, they will not be able to beat down the guys in jail ike they did this small man who they knew they could harm

It should have been life without parole, since the victims family will never have him back. I tire of the killers always copping a plea and getting these sentences that don't fit the crime.

These gay killing cowards deserve the chair, along with the politicians who help incite this hate.

Posted by: Luke | Jan 4, 2008 4:59:17 PM

5. These fuckers deserved life in prison, if not the death penalty (obviously if you want to murder someone, move to Indiana to do it). They beat somebody up out of hate and the person died and the sentence is 30 years?!? And Taylor, you think that is adequate?!? For fucking taking away someone's life??? Taylor, your words don't make you sound like a hippy, they make you sound like an idiot.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jan 4, 2008 5:22:04 PM

6. I feel as though I was reading this post earlier and there were a lot more comments here. I may be having a glitch issue with the comments and some may have been deleted. If so, I apologize, and will try and look into it.

Posted by: andy | Jan 4, 2008 6:29:30 PM

7. I comfort myself with the fact that for the next 30 years these fuck wits are going to be somebody's bitch.

Posted by: Wheezy | Jan 4, 2008 8:04:31 PM

8. My question is how long they will serve before they are eligible for parole? I'm guessing it is far short of 30 years.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 4, 2008 8:36:04 PM

9. Why is it that guys who are homophobic and don't wanna be touched by a guy. stupidly give themselves a one way ticket to rapeville.. and by HUGE, prison c0ck... heh. Sweet, young chicken like that won't make it out of prison.. they did get a death sentence, just not one involving the chair.

Posted by: Darren | Jan 4, 2008 11:12:55 PM

10. I would like to comment but I am crying.
    I'm thinking of that poor man who took that beating, crawled out of a ditch to a nearby field & died alone & naked!!
    It could have been me or any of us.
    so so sad. God rest his soul & give peace to his family!
    And fry these thugs!

Posted by: theygaygardener | Jan 5, 2008 2:09:12 AM

11. Not to be piling on but these monsters will get what's coming to them in the form of a worked out, hard cocked protector who won't take no for an answer in the shower or the cell. I can imagine a scene straight outta OZ where one or all will be branded as somebody's Bitch.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Jan 5, 2008 12:12:31 PM

12. Those guys got 30 "hard" years in front of them in prison!!! Not so tough now, huh?!

Posted by: JJ Parsons, Mississauga, Ont | Jan 5, 2008 2:44:13 PM

13. Theygaygardener:

i empathize with you. violence other than in defense of self, family, or friends is difficult to understand. this type of brutality, however, is so far beyond the pale, that it boggles the mind. i simply do not understand it.

Posted by: nic | Jan 5, 2008 5:42:41 PM

14. We can thank modern Christianity for this. The insanity of hate in the guise of a religion.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Jan 6, 2008 3:36:33 PM

15. Well look it's Indiana...one of the "Hatest states" against gays/lesbians. I too blame religion..for "Instigating". My straight brother has been approached quite a few times in his life..he just says, "No Thank you,but thanks anyway"..and takes it as a compliment...I guess cause' he's comfortable as to who he is...these weirdos probably went to church every sunday too.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jan 7, 2008 9:01:12 AM

16. Of course this is a horrible tragedy and these guys deserve a sentence. But this Aaron Hall must have been on drugs or something. Cause seriously, if you're an older guy you just don't proposition yourself to much younger guys when it's not known if they are even gay-friendly. He's voluntarily placing himself in a position to be easily discriminated or harrassed. Unfortunately, this is an extreme case. But regardless, I'm sure there are others in Indiana who will threaten or assault someone for their sexual orientation if they feel like they can get away with it. It sounds like Aaron could have easily avoided this.

Posted by: Rich | Jan 10, 2008 6:42:09 AM