Darren Hayes | Ken Hutcherson | News | Reality TV | Scientology | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #235

BOOING KEN HUTCHERSON: Focus on the Family's Stuart Shepard discusses the horrible liberal teachers who booed Pastor Ken Hutcherson when he was invited to speak at a high school MLK day. He neglected to mention Hutcherson's taking on of Microsoft or his association with the Watchmen on the Walls group. More here.

MAKE ME A SUPERMODEL: Dynamic duo of something rocks the sheets on the Bravo reality show.

CASEY: Video for Darren Hayes' new single "Casey".

ANONYMOUS: Declares war on Scientology. More here.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. What a hoot! I need to watch "Next Supermodel" more often!

Posted by: Rad | Jan 29, 2008 11:57:45 AM

2. Just when I thought things related to Scientology couldn't get any spookier.

Posted by: John | Jan 29, 2008 12:12:00 PM

3. Ken Hutcherson was booed by the "liberal" teachers not just because of his opposition to marriage rights for gays, it's because of his history of a hatred for gay people. Often these preachers will use the words "faggots" and "bulldaggers" (bulldykers) instead of gay or Lesbian in Sunday services. They make terrible hate-filled jokes to their congregations about gays, similar to how anti-Semitic preachers talked about Jews, OR southern white preachers would ridicule blacks during the Civil Rights Movement. These types of jokes lead to violence against gay people, and the killing of gay children. You read me right: the killing of gay children.

But y'all understand this: if anti-gay black folks don't like white gays, their hatred is doubled towards black gays. Whatever violence committed in the black community toward gay people is committed on black gay people. When black preachers speak about "faggots" and "bulldaggers" the images their congregations conjure up in their minds is of me NOT white gays. In general white homophobia is directed at white gays, black homophobia is directed at black gays.

I'm glad those teachers showed their disapproval of a hateful bigot--be he black or white.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 29, 2008 12:13:29 PM

4. I agree with Stuart Shepard. A homophobic preacher getting booed by liberal teachers at a HIGH SCHOOL should be splashed on the front page of every newspaper across the country.

I mean, what happens on the high school level has national implications. I am sure Stuart will be front and center the next time a gay high school student is harassed or beaten.

Posted by: Marco | Jan 29, 2008 12:56:21 PM

5. Clearly the "Anonymous" SP is Stephen Hawking.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 29, 2008 1:12:30 PM

6. Love those 2 in bed! bravo!

Posted by: Alexsander | Jan 29, 2008 1:23:50 PM

7. Y'know, it remains mind-boggling that a black guy can call me faggot - to say nothing of mainstream hip-hop lyrical content - but if I unleash the N word, all hell breaks loose.

I'm so sick of what passes for african-american culture these days.

Maybe James Watson was right. Certainly seems that way.

There I said it.

LCD

Posted by: Lois Carmen Denominator | Jan 29, 2008 1:33:18 PM

8. "...it remains mind-boggling that a black guy can call me a faggot."

Why? They've called me one for almost 50 years now.

Lois Carmen, the main point of my comment was that black homophobes' hatred of gay people is most often acted out in hateful behavior towards black gay people. Somehow, many white gays seem to believe that a black man cannot be as homophobic as a white man. I guess, because of the years of oppression black men are "supposed to know better." Well, it doesn't work that way. Sometimes, I wonder whether white (or Latino) outrage over black homophobes doesn't have more to do with your sense of "white priviledge". In other words, "How dare this nigger call me a faggot, how dare he look down on me. I'm white!" Well, welcome to the world of homophobia and anti-gay hatred. It may be the only thing that fundamentalist Christian blacks and whites share together. It may be the only thing and HipHip black kids and Punk Rock white kids share in common.

This same dilemma happened to me during the Isaiah Washington Affair: how do I criticize black anti-gay behavior, but not be on the side of white gays who seem to think, "oooo weeee, here's my chance to call blacks "niggers"? I'm going to continue to speak out against black gay-bashing, even in front of white racists.

So, yes, Lois Carmen, there's nothing about you that would stop a black man from calling you a faggot if he's the kind who'll call me one to. Same thing goes for a white man who hates us, Lois Carmen.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 29, 2008 2:05:37 PM

9. it's hard not to get hard when looking a that supermodel clip.

Posted by: topsyturvy8 | Jan 29, 2008 8:14:32 PM

10. Ryan, that was hilarious! Although if there is anyone capable of actually taking down that organization, how awesome would it be if it were Hawking?

Posted by: FatQueer | Jan 29, 2008 8:59:24 PM