Comments

1. Derrick from Philly says

Even though I’m a staunch Democrat, and a new staunch Obama supporter, I can’t help but like John McCain. I’m trying to build up a dislike for him, but every time he does something like this, I like him again. He’s too frickin’ honest. I’ll concentrate on those Conservatives he surrounds himself with to wage this campaign; I have no trouble hating them. I sure hate not being able to hate a Republican.

2. says

Too frickin’ honest, except when it comes to his involvement with lobbyists. Oh yeah, and that whole Keating Scandal from a few years back.

3. Bosie says

He is sooo old. sad…I can’t like him just because he is old and makes mistakes…this is an election not a walk on the park.

4. Wes says

Derrick, I agree with you. I have always liked John McCain as a person. I know I’ll probably be crucified for saying that, but its the truth and I’m not alone. I definately won’t be voting for him, but if you ask me he’s the one who should have gotten the GOP nomination in 2000. Its the Republicans who took him for granted then, and now his time has passed.

He’s a pretty bad politician. Which is usually a sign that he’s a decent person.

5. Wes says

Oh, and did I mention he used to be smokin’ hot when he was younger? I mean like a total stud.

Me and my friends were discussing it. We think his campaign slogan should be “McCain 2008: He used to be hot”

6. Matthew says

it’s dangerous to support this man, or even “like” him. have you really dug into his political positions? he’s anti-abortion — would like to repeal roe v wade. he’s pro-gun — strong supportor of the 2nd amendment. he’s typically fascistic when it comes to crime — mandatory sentencing, etc. Worst of all he supported the AZ initiative to ban gay marriage. ddon’t even get me started about iraq. he comes from a family of soldiers (warriors, really), which is scary for what he could do to the american war machine. he’s likeable in the same way george bush is likable (the kind of guy you could have a beer with). but his politics are bad bad bad.

7. Frank L says

John McCain plays “honest” and “decent” well — he fooled me enough into switching parties in 2000 to vote for him in the California primary in the hopes that he would defeat Bush.

But his Oscar-worthy performances don’t mean that, if elected, he’s not going to pack the Supreme Court with justices that make Antonin Scalia look like a moderate.

8. Derrick from Philly says

I hear you, Matthew & JEEM. I’m just saying he’s not a right-wing nut case which makes him less despicable than many in his party.

Matthew, why do you think the far right of his own party don’t like him? Is their hatred for him real? Or is it some kind of scheme?

9. Matthew says

i think this not being liked by the far right story is trumped up. he always gets good marks from conservative groups. republican insiders dont like him because he doesn’t toe the party line. he has a more nuanced approach to things like immigration and capmiagn spending. but who cares what the GOP patsys think? he is snowing the american people, which is a scary. he may be a nice guy, but he’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing. voter beware.

10. David R. says

The right doesn’t like him because he’s not a knee jerk tax cutter–the sacred cow of the greedy pigs (pardon the mixed farm yard metaphor). But watch the YouTube video montage of him dancing around Iraq: 1) it will be a cakewalk; 2) nobody said it would be a cakewalk. Oh yeah, except him and the other cryptofascists.

11. Zeke says

He has absolutely no ability to speak on the fly.

He will be very easy to beat in the general election.

I can’t wait to see the first Obama/McCain debate.

12. humanist says

hard to believe anyone can still buy McCain as honest and straight-talking.

we all used to like him (for a republican) around 2000, because he embraced his non-partisan “maverick” persona and backed it up with things like campaign finance reform. but the instant 2008 was on the horizon ho threw it out the window to commence shameless pandering to the republican base, completely redefining himself.

if he wins in ’08 (shudder), one might hope that he’d revert to his “true” self and not attack the constitution too much. but who knows? his base would feel duped, and abandon him for reelection.

i hate that guy.

13. John says

The line between honesty and forgetfulness is thin when it comes to John McCain.

There are times when I think the “Double Talk Express” has nothing to do with him lying about his previous positions, but everything to do with the fact that he doesn’t quite recall what those positions were. He looks genuinely surprised (and he stutters quite a bit) when reporters challenge him on contradictory statements.