Kissing Boys an ‘Achievement’ in New Edition of Bully Videogame

Kissingboys

Rockstar’s “Bully” videogame received a lot of attention in 2006 when it was discovered that its main character, presumably homophobic bully Jimmy Hopkins (a difficult student with a delinquent record) could be made to kiss other male students. This, of course, played off of theories that the most homophobic among males were reacting to suppressed homosexual tendencies.

This got Christian conservatives really riled up. At the time, Christian watchdog Jack Thompson, known for his crusades against violence and obscenity in media, to condemn the game’s maker as well as Entertainment Software Review Board president Patricia Vance, to whom he wrote a letter that said: “Dear Ms. Vance, We just found gay sexual content in Bully, as Jimmy Hopkins makes out with another male student. Good luck with your ‘Teen’ rating now, Patty.”

Imagine how cranked Thompson will get now when he discovers that in the newest, enhanced “Scholarship Edition” of Bully, one of the eight new goals of the main character is to “receive 20 kisses from the gents,” earning him an “Over the Rainbow” achievement award.

Achievements

Previously
Gay Kiss in Rockstar’s Bully Getting Christian Conservatives Hot [tr]
Rockstar’s Bully Displays Homosexual Tendencies [tr]

(ign via gay gamer)

Comments

1. Matt says

First things first. After reading the list of achievements you can receive playing this game, it really makes me want to play it.

Second, I believe in God and consider myself a Christian and a gay man. When I was brought up in the church, we were taught to love one another and care for our fellow man. What happened to these principals? It’s very difficult for me and has led to a bit of internalized homophobia.

2. says

This is a fantastic game that I already finished on Playstation 2. If it weren’t for that I’d get it on 360 as it is definitely worth it. I never courted the boys though, sort of forgot about that.

3. Strepsi says

Isn’t it ironic that the most bullying thing of all is “Christian” Jack Thompson’s letter? To Matt: Do not have internalized homophobia. Do not go to church. To be Christian, just remember 2 things: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” and “Love thy neighbor as thyself”. Live like that and you’ll do great. The trappings and rules of most “churches” is so much garbage.

4. jzn says

My partner and I had a blast playing this game it was so much fun to be able to make out with another boy instead of the girls. The guy would say “I’m hot, you’re hot, let’s make out.” and they would lock in a firm embrace and kiss. We still say it to each other every once in a while..good times.

5. Josh says

“Over the Rainbow” may be the most obvious achievement here, but scan over that list… you’ll also find “Momma’s Boy”, “Sharp-Dressed Man”, and “It’s All In The Wrists”.

6. voodoolock says

IMHO, Momma’s Boy and Sharp Dressed Man don’t necessarily have anything to do with sexuality, and It’s All in the Wrists is about being an awesome video game player. I’m not sure how we can confidently say that these are ‘phobic tags.

I applaud this company for making high school sexuality exploration a normal activity along with all of the other behaviors that appear in this game.

7. John says

If only real high schools had this many overtly gay bullies. I remember closeted kids who barely talk to each other because hanging out together would raise too much ‘suspicion.’

8. Doug says

I think the really disturbing thing is that these “Christians” are upset over men kissing men, for which there is ample Biblical precedent; but NOT over things like tripping people with marbles, taunting them, or beating them up, against most of which — while not expressly forbidden — one could make a much stronger case from Scripture than mere same-sex kissing.

9. tom says

I loved that game, it’s like a hormone driven adolescent version of grand theft auto set in a prep school. I remember thinking “Hey, I wonder if you can kiss the boys”, and when it actually worked I freaked out. Kudos to Rockstar.