I'm Not Gay | News | Spain

Spanish Deputy PM María Teresa Fernández de la Vega: I'm Not Gay

Vega

Spanish Deputy PM María Teresa Fernández de la Vega expressed relief to El Mundo newspaper that she finally had the opportunity to clear up rumors that she is secretly married to a female sportscaster:

"It’s a rumor about me that they’ve invented to do damage, using something that - hear me - I absolutely respect. I have no homophobia. But I’m not homosexual! If I were, I would have no problem in saying so. But it’s just that I’m not! I don’t know her, we’ve never seen each other in our lives, and they have me married to her!"

She says she is extremely happy to sit on her sofa at home, alone, and listen to music.

Spanish Deputy PM: I’m Not Gay [sf bay times]

Comments

1. It seems she was so scare that this rumor could damage her party, whatever she is lesbian or not.

Posted by: rdiazs | Feb 28, 2008 3:37:39 PM

2. She'd be much happier if she was. She ought to reconsider. There are plenty of fabulous Spanish women--just look at Penelope Cruz.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 28, 2008 3:52:46 PM

3. Sure, you're not a lesbian, but you gotta admit you're just a little oompa loompa...

Posted by: jeff | Feb 28, 2008 4:26:10 PM

4. Well, I live in Spain and in a week we'll have general elections here. The ruling socialist party is under an unbelievable pressure from the conservatives, who are supported by catholic bishops. No need to remind you who is to thank for Spain having a gay marriage law. So please, leave this brave woman alone. Viva PSOE!

Posted by: Jan | Feb 28, 2008 5:24:30 PM

5. I find it disheartening that all too often the media assumes that any adult living alone for a few too many years "must be" gay.

Posted by: lis | Feb 28, 2008 5:57:09 PM

6. If she really wanted to refute that rumor she should have gotten hair extensions, a chemical peel, and not worn purple, the favorite color of lesbians everywhere.

Posted by: Alan Roberts | Feb 28, 2008 6:33:43 PM

7. Her denial would have been more convincing if she'd gotten some hair extensions and a chemical peel. She also shouldn't have worn the favorite color of lesbians everywhere: purple.

Posted by: Alan Roberts | Feb 28, 2008 7:25:17 PM

8. Um, her fashion sense does run a wee tad dyke-wards ...

Posted by: Raybob | Feb 28, 2008 7:35:39 PM

9. Lis brought a good point, the notion of being gay just because you are of a certain age and remain single, directly resonates with the idea that gay people can't find happiness, therefore they grow old and lonely. This kind of thinking, just goes to show you, how little progress we have really made in peoples minds.

Posted by: Rafael | Feb 29, 2008 12:17:08 AM